View Full Version : Vacuum Pump? - Archive File

megalomania
June 15th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 05-03-2001 08:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone ever seen them miny vacuum pumps for sale which you screw onto the top of Fizzy drinks.You then pump the air out of them so it creates a vacuum and keeps the drink fresh.(fizzy)
Now I was just wondering if one of these devices could be used in the distillation of Nitric Acid.As long as its airtight it should work shouldn't it?Any Idea's??
Demolition
[This message has been edited by Demolition (edited May 03, 2001).]

Machiavelli
Frequent Poster
posted 05-03-2001 11:51 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I doubt that this would give good performance. But you could try this:
http://rhodium.lycaeum.org/chemistry/equipment/aspirator.html

chair
posted 05-03-2001 03:19 PM
I haven't gone into this field for about a year and a half, but correct me if I'm wrong. Place 1 measure of H2SO4 and 2 measures of KNO3 into a retort or other distilation apparatus. Then you gently heat the bottom of the flask containing the mixture, allowing the NO2 to evaporate off of the mixture, and condense down the distillilation tube(which has cool water flowing around it) flowing into the recieving flask, which is surrounded by an icebath.
Where does the soda vacuum come into play here?

-chair

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 05-03-2001 04:21 PM
Ok, I will correct you I think he means to increase the concentration from the 70% offered by the method you descrbed.

chair
posted 05-03-2001 10:39 PM
I thought the process I described produced 99% HNO3?
How could you use the vacuum pump to further concentrate it?

megalomania
Administrator
posted 05-04-2001 02:03 AM
That's about right chair, and that process does make 96% + acid. The use of a vacuum comes into play when distilling from <70% acid to help keep it from decomposing into NO2, the use of strong sulfuric acid (>95%) is needed as well. The vacuum is not really essential.