View Full Version : Extracting KNO3 from Sucrose/KNO3 mixture? - Archive File

megalomania
June 15th, 2003, 11:34 AM
John456
Frequent Poster
posted 05-04-2001 08:42 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey,
I've exhausted my KNO3 supply and cant seem to get any more, and i have some melted sucrose with KNO3 stirred in laying around. I was wondering if anyone knew of any solvent that dissolves sugar but not kno3, or vice versa, or maybe a method of extraction? By the way: I know this sounds like something that would be in another topic in search, but i spent a good 20 minutes searching around and found nothing. -John

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 05-05-2001 02:46 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It will be a pain do do this because both compounds are quite easily disolved. you could try to disolves the mix in H20 then chill it until it starts to precipitate out you. you will have to find out which is more sol. than th other. I think it will be almost imposible.
None-the-less it will be a tedious job and i don't envy you. good luck
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

John456
Frequent Poster
posted 05-05-2001 08:29 AM
yes, im hoping they would precipitate at different temperatures or the crystals of each will form in different sizes. Another question, i am going to be using the KNO3 in the production of nitric acid, will the sugar affect anything if i just use the mixture for making nitric? Thanks. -John

Anthony
posted 05-05-2001 10:35 AM
If you're going to make HNO3 with H2SO4 + nitrate, you'd end up nitrating the sugar.