View Full Version : NC FROM PAINT LACQUER - Archive File

megalomania
June 15th, 2003, 11:35 AM
YTS
Frequent Poster
posted 05-06-2001 04:22 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When i was a aprentice mechanic i found some paint lacquar so thought i would try to extract the NC so i added petrol to it . the solution had what looked like cotton wool floating in it but when i fished it out it was like putty & when dry it burnt with a black smoke so i gave up on it this was 15 years ago.But just recently when i found out about ap ping ball putty i fought it could be used for that so i tried it & it works & it only takes about 10 minutes to gel with acetone.I thought they used 12% nitrogen content in cellulose paint lacquer & if it is why does it only burn or is it because there is something else i need to remove from it if any one knows it could be a usefull sourse of NC but if it is only low grade celliod it makes a good putty quickly.The putty i made from it was the size of a marble i put it in a bean can then poured a mix of coarse potasium chlorate and icing sugar on top of it. it made nice fountain & when it got to the putty there was massive bang a lot louder than i expected from such a small amount of putty & know remains of the tin. Thats why i was wondering if it was high % NC & i hadnt purified it enough. has any body heard of this being done before & if so how was it done CHEERS ps the lacquer is very cheap in 5 litres cheaper than ping pong balls by the way i only dreamt this