View Full Version : Iron oxide problems - Archive File

megalomania
June 15th, 2003, 11:45 AM
A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 09:23 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm having trouble with making iron oxide
for thermite. I make it by taking a ac transformer and put two pieces of steel wool
on the leads. Then put them in a salt water solution and leave it sit for a week and filter it out. Is there any other way to make
it, maybe easier or one that make more product. (my way produces about 8 tablespoons)
------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

Alchemist
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 10:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello A-BOMB,
If ya live in the USA look for a ceramics supply shop in your area. They should sell both red and black Iron Oxide at around a $1.00 or so a pound.

P.S., Where are ya getting your Aluminum?

------------------

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 02:30 PM
I live in Europe and i bought a kilo Iron Oxide in a pottery shop the guy thought i whas crazy and keep saying to me that only a few grams is more than enough
------------------
DarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1
sendtosection1@hotmail.com

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 05:09 PM
what is it used for coloring in the pots?

Foodos
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 05:36 PM
yeah, iron oxide is used to 'stain' the pots, they take a color (like red = red) before you fire them, (high tempuratures to make the pot hard, rather then clay), after you fire ride-iron oxide it normally takes a blue-ish color, due to the iron (my teacher said).

Alchemist
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 06:03 PM
Hi gang,
Do a search on Thermite! There a lot here on Oxides to use and etc..

------------------

A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 07:05 PM
Well thanx, but I'll stay with the tried and true oxidisers, and any other ideas?
PS: alchemist I use bars of AL ground down,and the bars are made from melted pop cans.

jin
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 09:51 PM
you can just set fire to the steel wool and i think you would get black iron oxide a lot quicker than electrolysis.

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 02:47 AM
i had some steel wool that got wet, leaving a crumbling pile of red iron oxide. People have said that this is actually a dangerous mix of oxides and hydroxides, but is this really the case? I'd expect that if it was washed with water it would oxidise any remaining particles. (it was almost flour consistency)

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 03:20 AM
DC power should be used in electrolysis

Alchemist
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 10:56 AM
Hello,
Bob is correct, you need D.C. not A.C. to make iron oxide. SORRY I missed that! I use a old computer power supply and it works great.

Arthis
June 15th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Does that method work well ? I mean how long do you have to let the electrolisys go on with a 6 V - 400 mA to get, say 100 g iron oxyde ? Because A-Bomb had to let it for very long, though I know this is because of the AC transformer...
You put 2 iron electrolyte ?

Btw, I'm not sure but the voltage shouldn't change anything as long it's higher that the redox value, right ?

2 Fe + 3 H2O --> Fe2O3 + 3 H2 I think.

frogfot
June 15th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Theres required 960Ah to dissolve 1 kg iron, couple percents of power will be lost as heat.

yt2095
August 4th, 2003, 07:33 AM
if you look in an electronics hobby catalogue, you`ll see ferric chloride crystals sold in bags or plastic jars quite cheap as well!

dissolve these crystals in water, add some caustic soda, still well and wait.
filter this and disgard the liquid, wash in clean water then allow the iron hydroxide to dry and powder it, heat it on a cooker in an iron pot or on a tin lid, until there is a color change.
there`s your pure and almost atomised iron oxide.
it only costs pocket change to make quite large amounts as well :)

blindreeper
August 4th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Frogfot has a very nice way of preparing .rust (http://www.geocities.com/frogfot/synthesis.html#rust) . He presents the electrolitical method and iron + HCl method. Personally I have I tried the iron + HCl method with pleasing results but why bother when (if your aussie) can buy 1kg for $10 at your local bunnings for cement dye.

yt2095
August 4th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Blindreaper,

sure I`m in total agreement, with regards to his method, I in fact use a similar method when I extract metals from the sea.

but if you can already BUY the ferric chloride ready made for only pocket change, it allows you keep your HCl for other purposes :)

as for the cement coloration, fair play to you :) some may not be able to get that outside Oz?
whereas Electronics and PCB maufacture is worldwide :)

frogfot
August 4th, 2003, 05:10 PM
For some reason, several electronics supplyers here, carry only sodium persulfate PCB etchants (SP?). Don't have a clue why they banned iron chloride.. it sure would be the fastest way to rust :)

GibboNet
August 8th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Here they have Iron Chloride, but the price is unbelieveably huge, I wouldn't pay it. $18.95 for 500ml of 42% Ferric Chloride (by weight) It sounds cheaper to buy from suppliers, as crystals.

I finally found the tubs of oxide at bunnings, I will be purchasing there whenever I need Iron Oxide.

There is also a method involving a large bucket, starting with Iron Sulphate, which I believe NBK originally posted.

Tuatara
August 8th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Frogfot, I doubt the ferric chloride has been banned. It's just that ammonium persulphate is much cleaner to use - it doesn't stain everything yellow, and the waste from pcb etching is a mix of ammonium and copper sulphates, which also don't leave nasty stains.

It really should be possible to buy iron oxide anywhere on the planet - either for colouring concrete or for colouring ceramic glazes. remember it also goes by the name Burnt Umber IIRC