View Full Version : NBK2000's Book Unavailable

controlphreak
June 16th, 2003, 07:49 PM
I hope you don't think me rude, or wrong in asking this, as I will now only have 2 posts to my name, however, I was wondering something. I have seen many people refer to the NBK2000 (which I will take was named after the HED Executioner, because he compiled it or wrote it) and have even seen it refrenced for downloading in NBK2000's signature. However, I have a slight problem. And I would like to apologize if this has been posted before. I am unable to download it. I checked on google, and the only thing that I came up with was refrences to the website refrenced in NBK2000's signature, and forums talking about it. I would very much appreciate it, if someone would please shed some light on this. You don't have to send it to me, or tell me where it is, though it would be appreciated, but merely point me in the general direction, and I will try to find it. Thank you very much.

Controlphreak

chemwarrior
June 17th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Tsk tsk. If you read through the Forum a bit more you would have quite readily found out that it is going to be a DVD, which you will have to buy. The only other thing is a decent sized PDF which he uploaded to the (Unofficial) Forum Library, which even if your Einstein (well, I could be wrong in this..) you will not recieve access to for quite a while.

Also, there is a search button which would have been really useful to you and would have saved me from having to write this.:rolleyes:

FragmentedSanity
June 17th, 2003, 02:39 AM
The original NBK2000.pdf was a copy of NBK's website from years ago - Well before our resident executioner started being admin here. As such it has been spread all over the place and a decent search should turn it up. My copy has a file size of 3.87MB - just so you know what your looking for. But I dont know whether or not NBK has given anyone permission to host it these days. Im pretty sure it used to be kept on angelo's site.... but its been a while so I cant be sure.
I suggest you keep looking for this one tho, Then you too will have to wipe your chin whenever you think about the DVD version :p

+++++++++++++++++=

Watch it with the innuendo. NBK

nbk2000
June 17th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Anyone is free to host it if they want, as long as they don't try claiming it as their own, in which case things would get real ugly real quick :)

Way I see it, the more people who read it, the fewer k3wls we'll have, and the more criminals that'll be out there putting the fuck to a society I hate. :D

blindreeper
June 17th, 2003, 05:02 AM
Yeh I'll host it if you want. It's only a geocshitties site but it will do. Can you email it to me? Ok thats not a good idea cause I know you don't email people as they would know your address. Well can you give me a link so I can download it and then upload it to my site?

controlphreak
June 17th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Well, I wanted to thank you all for pointing me in the right idrection,a nd giving me some clues to what it might be. I am off on my serach for it now, and shall eturn to this thread and post when I have found it in triumph. Thank you very much for not flaming me. I appreciate it.

controlphreak

GibboNet
June 17th, 2003, 11:44 PM
I am making it availiable on my site, and maybe a few others depending on whether that's ok with NBK.

I have a few other manuals too, I hope to make them availiable.

Has anyone got any manuals they wish to see on the net ? I plan to get as many as possible on the internet, as widely distributed as possible. Those who have manuals, get in touch, (email preffered) and I will host them if possible, if not, I will at least try.

Also, anyone who is looking for manuals / related books, I plan to get a few online as well. Is there anything that has been on the forum before that people DON'T want posted ? maybe you only want them on your own site or something ?

I also plan to pay for hosting before too long, I hope that will give me the space I need.

For now:

[Links removed, problems on the server.... sorry. I did have the Makeshift Arsenal as well..... ]

Check my latest post, I will update this thread as mirror sites become availiable.

(I know someone was looking for the Makeshift Arsenal in another thread)

Like has been said, NBK's file is nothing compared to what the DVD will be.

People, the way to make sure these files are always avaliable, whoever has a host and can spare the room, make them avaliable there, soon everyone will be able to find them no worries.

Kid Orgo
June 18th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Um, hang a big 404 on those links.

I'd host a copy, but the only space i've got is the FTP acct for my dialup, and that would definitely make it much easier for the piggies to hunt me down.

If anyone else has safer accommodations for the nbk book, however, I'd definitely like a link,

GibboNet
June 18th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Really sorry guys, I did test the links straight after I uploaded them, but for somereason they are unavailiable. This may be a bandwidth restriction or something, because they are still definately on the server when I log in through FTP, and I have not been contacted by the host. I will reply again when I have found more hosts, maybe a list of mirrors will work better this time.

Has anyone here got free webspace with their ISP ? I would like any help here is possible.

Thanks, and sorry.

nbk2000
June 18th, 2003, 05:50 AM
The links work. It's just that the host has a daily download limit. So, if too many people download it in one day, it'll temporarily 404, till the next day. :)

controlphreak
June 18th, 2003, 01:02 PM
I suggested this to one other person who is looking for webspace. Over at the.HV Forum (The High Energy weapons forum) where they test things, and build some realy cool things (foudn them from a previous post) is going to be moving to a new server and needs some help paying out the rent. So he is offering 500MB and 10Gig in Traffic per month for only $4.00(u.s.) it's a subdomain, and may not be to interesting, but it is cheap, and it is good I think at least. here's the direct posting of what he said:

"Some of you may have noticed this site's been slowing down. Sometimes you click on a page and it says "server not found," or maybe it just takes 60 seconds to load. Other times the site may not load at all, or worse, it loads a page full of errors. Sure, 80% of the time, the site is fine... but that amount of time is eroding every week.

Well, this is the direct result of "bargain" hosting. I have to take what I can get, as I'm not guaranteed a certain amount of MySQL uptime, nor am I guaranteed a certain slice of processor time. My yearly hosting contract with my provider is coming close to an end, and I don't want to have to renew my contract here, and force all my users to endure another year of less-than-perfect hosting.

I have, therefore, decided to move 4hv.org to its very own server. Unfortunately, this is not an inexpensive solution, but it is a necessary solution if we are to allow 4hv.org to continue to grow and expand. This is where you, the casual 4hv.org user, can take a big part of making 4hv.org a permanent success!

I am going to resell a very limited number of accounts on this new server. For just $4 per month, you can get your own subdomain here at 4hv.org, such as http://spoz.4hv.org/ or something like that. I'm including 500MB of storage space, and 10GB of data transfer, as well as all the features you'd expect from a quality webhost. Read more about it here. This is no joke. This is a highly reliable, dedicated server. It is available for anyone to sign up. The user doesn't have to be a member of 4hv.org, nor does the user have to have any interest in what we discuss here. Feel free to refer this service to any of your non-scientific friends. If you participate in the referral program, you can end up with extremely discounted or even free hosting.

Interested? I hope so! Feel free to ask any questions you might have, either in this thread, via IM, or through the email addresses given on the contact page.

If you don't need an excellent webhost, but you'd still like to help, check out the new "donate" link near the bottom left of each page. Anyone who donates more than $1 to this cause will be recognized on the front page of this site."

and here is the link to the site:

http://4hv.org/

Hope that helps some!

controlphreak

megalomania
June 18th, 2003, 01:27 PM
My my, that sounds like a prety good hosting deal. I hope he dosn't get too many takers using the max space and bandwidth or that won't last long. But since this is being sent to a limited community it should be fine.

Since there seems to be such interest in nbk's file, I would be happy to host it here at RogueSci. I had a copy, but it was corrupted, so if someone would be kind enough to send me a copy...

controlphreak
June 23rd, 2003, 01:55 PM
I have since found a copy of NBK2000's book, and would like to thank you all for your wonderful help in helping me get it. Also, meglomania, I would be happy to send it. Just give me an address or website to give it to, and I will upload it.

On another note, I would like to know if anyone has taken advantage of the website deal that I posted about, and would like to obtain permission to post about that in it's own thread for everybody's use. I do not beleive anyone would go looking for really good hosting in a thread like this. That is my reason for wishing to create a new thread and post that.

Thanx

controlphreak

megalomania
June 23rd, 2003, 10:30 PM
Just fire off an email to me and I will respond with a place to send it.

inFinie
August 4th, 2003, 04:13 PM
where did you found a working link to the pdf exactly?

Mumble
August 5th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Did any of you try to right click and chose "save target as" on the link in NBK's signature? Seems to work fine for me. If I actually click on it I get a 404 though. It's the 3.87 mb one that was spoken of earlier. It appears to be fully functional.

++++++++++++++++

They were referring to when my file was hosted on angelo's site, not the link provided in my signature, which is another site alltogether. ;)

GibboNet
August 5th, 2003, 10:40 PM
The bandwidth limit is monthly, and is 5Gigs, so there shouldn't be a problem. I check it every now and again, so it's fairly safe.

Here's the two mirrors I should have posted a long time ago:
http://galileo.spaceports.com/~gibbonet/Nbk2000.pdf
http://gibbonet.hostrocket.com/Nbk2000.pdf

Here's the MakeShift Arsenal:
http://galileo.spaceports.com/~gibbonet/Makeshift_Arsenal.pdf
http://gibbonet.hostrocket.com/Makeshift_Arsenal.pdf

Here's the human Claymores part of "Swordfish" because I've been meaning to link it for ages now: http://galileo.spaceports.com/~gibbonet/Swordfish_-_Human_Claymores.rm

Email me if you find any links broken, I'll do my best to fix it up quickly. EDIT: fixed the swordfish link, thanks MrLoud.

nbk2000
August 6th, 2003, 03:35 AM
The swordfish clip is 404. :(

Though maybe it's just bandwidth restrictions, or maybe the server doesn't support RealVideo streams, so perhaps you should .ZIP it instead. ;)

++++++++++++++

Now it goes and makes a liar out of me and starts downloading.

BTW, it's almost 5MB in size, so that may be why too.

More likely than not, someone is watching it via streaming, thus hogging the limited bandwidth your site is allotted. So you really do need to .ZIP it so people can't watch it streaming.

inFinie
August 6th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Thank you much for reminding Save target as. I always tried to use FlashGet:rolleyes: