View Full Version : generating chlorine gas - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Psychedelic Physicist
posted 05-16-2001 05:48 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,I was thinking if you mix household ammonia with a bleach would that make chlorine gas?
Thanks for your help. PP

CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 07:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You should have done a search, you KeWl newbie. This has been discussed numerous times before.
Anyway, yes it will, but all chlorine gas produced will readily be transformed into ammonium chloride, which will blow away as a white dust that appears to be a gas. Cl2 is a pale green.
So instead of ammonia, use hydrochloric acid, commonly called pool or "muriatic" acid, available at all good hardware stores.
Cl2 is extremely toxic and an irritant.

Psychedelic Physicist
posted 05-17-2001 02:16 AM
I'm not KeWl i hate that shit, but i am a new which everyone has to be at some point since everything has to START somewhere. I don't even plan on making the stuff i just wanted to know of the procces.
Thanks.PP.

Cipolla
posted 05-17-2001 07:31 AM
when you mix bleach with ammonia you'll get fine Hydrazine, being very toxic...
You can generate chlorine by mixing the bleach with citric acid or so. The better ways are to mix KMnO4 with HCl solution or to put KClO3 or NaClO3 into HCl!

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 05-17-2001 01:21 PM
Erm, Cipolla, mixing chlorates with HCl is a no-no. It generates chlorine dioxide (very explosive, very sensitive and very dangerous).

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 05-17-2001 05:07 PM
Philou Zrealone once made a post which described adding HCl to a chlorate to make chloric acid, which was then heated to make perchloric acid.

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 05-18-2001 01:15 PM
Yes, and when heated, the mixture gives off some ClO2 gas.
Read the bottom of this page :

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/5361/chlorate/destroy.html

[This message has been edited by Bitter (edited May 18, 2001).]

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 05-18-2001 02:38 PM
The easiest way to make Cl2 gas would be to electrolise a solution of NaCl. You would have the electrodes under different outlets, so you could collect the Cl2 at one part in a baloon or something, then the H2 at another spot.

Psychedelic Physicist
posted 05-18-2001 08:50 PM
Thanks for all of that. PP.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 05-19-2001 06:42 PM
Umm, ClO2 explodes on formation, that's why when you add HCl to KClO3, ClO2 is formed, and burns, and that is what is happening when you see the burning.
I made a big fat post on the troubles of the unreacted NH4OH reacting with the Cl to form NH4Cl.

Cipolla
posted 05-19-2001 07:10 PM
I've tried mixing Chlorate with HCl and what I got was surely no ClO2. Even though the Flask explodet but that was because the pressure was too high and the flask have had much fissures....
I believe that the ClO2 oxidizes the HCl to H2O and Cl being a very strong oxidizer. With KMnO4 it works this way too.

frogfot
June 17th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Theres lot's of ways to produce chlorine but what about equipement. In lab they're producing chlorine (as many other gases) in a flask with a pressure-equalising funnel, everything of glass.. I had some thoats on how to improvise the pressure-equalising funnel from other lab equipement where I need inert and elastic pipes.. But, what material can stand up to chlorine?
What pipes do they use in lab to lead this nasty gas? The teflon is not elastic btw..

vulture
June 17th, 2003, 06:51 PM
KClO3 + HCl will merely produce chlorine gas, mainly because your HCl will not have a concentration above 38% and HClO3 is stable up to 40%. So the formation of Cl2 gas is favored.

IIRC, PVC tubing can be used to transport Cl2.