View Full Version : Neutralize CS Tear Gas & Gas Grenades - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Gollum
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 03:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just came across this bit of info and thought I should share. CS Tear gas is a powerful irritant. It seems to burn on contact with skin, and generally just incapacitates anybody who gets in its way. You probably didn't expect the riot in, so you left your gas mask at home.
Find a bottle of vinegar. Open it and dump its contents all over a towel, or other large piece of cloth. Wrap the towel or cloth over your face and breathe through it. Not perfect but it'll get you through the worst of it. For the skin irritation, cut an onion in half and rub it on exposed skin.

If they are using CS Grenades, you can pick them up with a pair of welding gloves or other thick material, and place it in a bowl of vinegar to neutralize it.

Pretty neat if you ask me. The PIRA trains Northern Irish civilians how to do that so they aren't hurt when the Brits come.

PYRO500
posted 05-16-2001 04:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Breathe through a towel soaked in vinegar?
I dont think so, try breathing though your mouth after eating salt&vinegar chips, not gonna happen

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 05:26 PM
What i've heard and seen many people use lemonjuice instead of vinegar (fresh pressed).
------------------
for best catfood visit:
kangaroooo.cjb.net

Gollum
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 05:33 PM
That's not the same thing. They use artificial flavoring in chips, not to mention there's nowhere near enough vinegar in them to do anything. The vinegar from the bottle neutralizes the particles of chemical (orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile) in the gas. It's actually a bunch of micro-particles which are carried on top of the smoke particles. The towel deals with the smoke, and the particles touch the vinegar and are neutralized. Of course, it's not going to be comfortable, and you'll still get plenty of it in you, but like I said, it's for the rough parts only.

PYRO500
posted 05-16-2001 05:54 PM
actualy I bought a bag today and guess where the vinegar comes from? thats right they use vinegar to get that vinegar flavor, it says so on the label, you try breathig vinegar, it is not very easy it burns your lungs

PYRO500
posted 05-16-2001 05:56 PM
oh yeah, and ther's plenty of vinegar in them, sometimes they are slightly moist

Gollum
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 06:18 PM
Have you tried it? If not then you probably shouldn't say it won't work..

PYRO500
posted 05-16-2001 08:17 PM
I recently cleaned a whole bathroom with vinegar and it is annoying (bathroom had glass everything, I poured the vinegar on a rag that I was gonna clean with and I inhaled and nearly choked on the fumes, they burn your lungs and throat. I would think you could breath through a regular towel longer. it still will probably filter the fumes, and they will get caught upin the towel, perhaps one wet with waterwill work, you will gag on vinegar. plus the tear gas stings your eyes and causes tearing so you cant see shit, and if possible they will use non flammable tear gas witch are small particles of cs witch are more effectivly filtered. BTW where did youm find this information?

Gollum
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 08:33 PM
That's the thing though, the vinegar actually neutralizes the CS particles, not just stops them from going through. Plus, because the vinegar stings and burns, it lessens the suddenness of pain from any gas that gets past the towel or cloth. You'll also need to close your eyes tightly. Remember- this is just used in a pinch, when it's the worst. Considering you've been able to find a bottle of vinegar (Say you're in a riot, broke into a grocery store to get it), you should be able to find a container of some sort. All you would need to do is pour the bottle into the container and use a wrapped up shirt to huck the CS grenade in it. That'd be a lot nicer than dealing with a towel over your head.
The actual information is from a short manual the PIRA has written, but I found it in the form of an urban guerrilla warfare manual, by a group not affilliated with the PIRA.

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 08:36 PM
Is there any way that you could post this manual or is there any website that I could get it from?

Gollum
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 08:46 PM
There is a possibility that I may type it up, and scan the images for others to enjoy. Currently it is not available online as far as I am aware (Governments don't like it at all). It would take a while though.

PYRO500
posted 05-16-2001 10:41 PM
I would like to hear of a first hand experience before I beleve this, I think PHILOU Zrealone may be able to answer some questions on the chemistry of it.