View Full Version : Finding Ammonium Nitrate - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Tim2133
posted 04-13-2001 04:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know that 34-0-0 is ammonium nitrate. I went looking for some of that today in three different stores and found only 21-0-0, would this still work since it only has the ammonium nitrate and no phosphorous or potassium? If that doesn't work then where are good places to look for this stuff.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 04-13-2001 05:42 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe you may have purchased a bag of NH4NO3 mixed with chalk, that's probably what is lowering the Nitrogen content. Where do you live? If people are paranoyed about bombs/terrorism, they mix in chalk with the NH4NO3 mixture which renders it too impure for use in explosives, but just fine for fertiliser uses.

fightclub
posted 04-13-2001 07:24 PM
Ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) has a Nitrogen content of about 34% (almost 35%). Since the fertilizer system is N-P-K (Nitrogen Phosphorus Kalium) anything that shows other than 34-0-0 is impure or not ammonium nitrate. Ammonium sulfate (NH4)2SO4 has a N% of 21 hence it would be 21-0-0. Potassium nitrate (KNO3) would be like 13-0-38.

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 04-13-2001 07:33 PM
Um, you can get a fertilizer called something like "nitrate of chalk" and that has like chalk and Ammonium nitrate in, and simply dissolve it in water and filter. The AN will dissolve, but the chalk won't, and so will get filtered out. then just heat to evaporate the water, and you are left with AN. Btw, Mr Cool told me this, so credit to him.
NBK was saying that Ammonium Sulphate WILL detonate, and is more powerful than AN, but is harder to detonate. What I want to know is: can we make ASFO, or ASNM? I can get ammonium sulphate easily, but not AN. Also, can we make ASSOY?
(oh, just forgot, could you also make the LE that you can with AN? I think it may be amonpulver or something like that)
------------------
Handguns don't kill people... Half as well as full-auto
Visit me at www.surf.to/eliteforum

[This message has been edited by zaibatsu (edited April 13, 2001).]

fightclub
posted 04-13-2001 07:51 PM
Ammonium sulfate is not detonable. You can add Nitromethane but all this will do is probably dilute power. Ammonium sulfate is a very poor oxidizer (O.B.: ±0%).
[This message has been edited by fightclub (edited April 13, 2001).]

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 04-14-2001 03:32 PM
Oh I see, are you saying that an explosive with negative oxygen balance can't detonate? Right, I mean who ever heard of AP detonating Seriously though, I think (please let my memory be right) that NBK was commenting on things they tried to add to AN to stop it detonating, and they found most actually INCREASED the power. I think he then went on to say the even Ammonium Sulphate can detonate, although it is harder to initiate, it has more power. I was wondering what the power of ASNM would be then? Because ANNM is supposed to be quite powerful.
------------------
Handguns don't kill people... Half as well as full-auto
Visit me at www.surf.to/eliteforum

YTS
Frequent Poster
posted 04-15-2001 12:46 AM
You cant detonate ammoniam sulphate & thats not what nbk said he said. read what he said again

fightclub
posted 04-15-2001 05:41 PM
That is exactly what I am not saying. I know many compounds with pos., neg., neut. oxygen balances that can detonate. Peroxydacetones can detonate, of course, I know this. The ability for a compound to detonate depends on its chemical structure (chiefly CHNO compounds). Ammonium nitrate is much less stable than ammonium sulfate (compare their heats of formation). What I am simply saying is Ammonium sulfate does not fit into the category of detonating compounds. Ammonium sulfate is already a highly stable compound, it even has a neutral oxygen balance of 0 (not negative), it has nothing to offer to Nitromethane (except to dilute power), you would be better off adding to get it to baking soda and saying it would increase power. In order to get ammonium sulfate to decompose you have to put in a great deal of energy, even then it will not detonate, rather decompose into gases. Saying ammonium sulfate can detonate is like me claiming ammonium phosphate can detonate, too.
Just because something increases power does not mean it will detonate. Ex., if I were to mix AN to Al powder the mixture has increased power. Is the aluminium powder detonable or even explosive(on its own)? No.

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 04-15-2001 06:27 PM
Yeah I know, sorry about that, my bad. What NBK said is that Ammonium Sulphate MIXED with Ammonium Nitrate will detonate, its harder to initiate, but has more power. Sorry about taking up the space guys, my bad.

Anthony
posted 04-15-2001 06:46 PM
I think a small percentage of ammonium sulphate mixed with ammonium nitrate (like a coating on the prills) would decompose when the AN detonated, contributing to the gas volume produced and rasing the power slightly in that way. Just and idea.
If I'm not mistaken, in ANNM, the ammonia in the AN sensitizes the NM. So mixing NM with ammonium phosphate could work, it wouldn't be as powerful as ANNM though.

fightclub
posted 04-16-2001 01:55 PM
Sorry, looking closer the O.B. of Ammonium sulfate is a little negative. For that mixture the reaction will go like this:
2 NH4NO3 + (NH4)2SO4 --> 8 H2O + SO2 + 3 N2 + energy

In terms of the gas volume it is a little lower (~920L/kg) than Ammonium nitrate itself (980L/kg).

Ammonium nitrate/sulfate in 60/40 (in the equation above it is 55/45) proportions gives a Vdet: 2.43 km/sec @ 0.9 g/cm^3

Comparing this Ammonium nitrate at a density of 0.9g/cm^3 will have a Vdet ranging from 2.55-2.65 km/sec. So not much improvement on Vdet.

I am not sure about heat of explosion (since
you guys seem pretty sure that in increases "power"). The calculated is 265 cal/g (lower than ammonium nitrate which is 348 cal/g).

And yes, Ammonia will sensitize Nitromethane (so will many other amines), but ammonium nitrate is a neutral salt, it should not have any free ammonia. I think what you are trying to say is ammonium ion (NH4+) will sensitize? I am not sure if the ions will sensitize it, I have doubts. Because then you could simply use any ammonium salt like the chloride.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 04-18-2001 07:12 AM
Amines and amonia can sensitise NM!
NH3,CH3-NH2, CH3-CH2-NH2, (CH3)2NH,(CH3)3N, NH2-CH2-CH2-NH2,...
But amines are bases that can react with the weak acid nitronic acid in equilibrium with NM......
CH3-NO2 < === > CH2=NO2H
If the amine is already neutralised by a stronger acid (and HNO3 is way much stronger than CH2=NO2H )nothing will happen!
Now I think the guy confuses NM sensitising AN, and NH4OH (NH3 in H2O) as a sensitiser of NM!!!!!A world of difference!

Anyway mixing ethylene diamine and NM with AN could be a good idea since ED sensitise NM that sensitise AN ....

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

ftsman
Frequent Poster
posted 04-28-2001 07:58 PM
strait up i got mine from an orthopedic surgen. when i got my wisdom teeth out i remember waking up anfd being given one.(Still kinda dazzed from the gas) i only asked 4 one more but they gladly handed it over. plus im willing to bet that they have a crap loasd stocked up in storage so look around when u go in and wait 4 the doc . or break in at night and steal them

JB
posted 06-06-2001 01:40 PM
Sorry for bringing this topic up again. I have just found a bag of NPK fertilizer in the shed, it is 15-10-10. Here is some more info if it helps:
Nitrogen 15%
phosphorus pentoxide 10% - soluble in ammonium citrate and water 9.4%
Potassium Oxide 10%

Is it possible to extract AN from this, following the methods given in this forum (in a dream of course
This would be quite beneficial if it is AN because there is 25 kilos of the stuff in the shed.

[This message has been edited by JB (edited June 06, 2001).]

Jumala
Frequent Poster
posted 06-06-2001 08:46 PM
Yes, it may be possible to separate the AN but I wouldn“t waist any time with trying this.
When you cannot get 34-0-0 fertilizer then you should get 27-0-0 fertilizer (chalk-ammon saltpeter) Here it is some work to separate it but it is simple and effective.
Send me your e-mail then you get my improved recipe to separate cleanest AN from it.

frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted 06-06-2001 09:13 PM
I had experience with NPK and ammonium sulfate fertilizer, they're pretty much useless but for your garden
Urea on the other hand is very useful, you can concert it to urea nitrate, nitrourea, to treat red nitric acid, desentizer, etc

Mendeleev
November 21st, 2003, 12:41 PM
How pure is the 34-0-0 fertilizer? I wouldn't be asking except its sold at home depot in 25 kg bags and its just hard to believe that it is so readily availabe. I have heard that after the McVeigh incident they have begun coating the fertilizer prills in a special substance to prevent detonation. Is this true, is that why it is so readily available? Or do they just not care? Furthermore if it is coated in some kind of crap what would be a way to remove it?

xyz
November 21st, 2003, 07:53 PM
Yes, it is probably ammonium nitrate, see Mega's site for info on how to remove any coatings it has (very simple).

AN is quite easy to find if you look in the right places (garden shops, plant nurseries, hydroponics shops, agricultural suppliers, etc.)

Mendeleev
November 22nd, 2003, 09:06 PM
I checked the 34-0-0 bag and it said "urea nitrate". Is that just some weird farmer name for ammonium nitrate or is it urea?

xyz
November 22nd, 2003, 10:02 PM
It probably isn't urea but I doubt it's urea nitrate, just buy it and test it to see what it is.

gliper
January 7th, 2004, 05:58 PM
They probablaly ment uria and some other nitrate but if it is uria nitrate thats a better explosive than AN anyway, also uria nitrate can be converted into nitro uria (7000+ m/s compared with 4000+ uria nitrate and less still from AN).

Timmmm
January 8th, 2004, 09:06 PM
http://www.gardenchemicals.co.uk/pdt_ammoniumnitrate.htm

Says 34% N

£3 / 100g

Mumble
January 9th, 2004, 06:24 PM
That is pretty expensive. That is $18 american per pound. One could get 50 pounds for half the price of a single pound of that. I'd really recomend looking for a better source.

Timmmm
January 9th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Yeah, thought so.
What about this: http://www.labpakchemicals.co.uk/product.asp?ProdID=345&CatID=32

£2.60 per 500g

Min order: £50, Deliver: £7.50 or free on orders over £100

They also have other useful stuff:

Ammonia Solution LR SP GR 0.88 (what do all those letters/numbers mean?) - £7 / 2.5 l
Nitric Acid LR - £9.50 / 2.5 l
Sulphuric Acid 98% LR - £9.25 / 2.5 l
Hydrochloric Acid 36% LR - £6.60 / 2.5 l
Sulphur Flowers - £2.90 / 500g

How do those prices compare to the cheapness of America?

Mendeleev
January 9th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Labpak is an awesome chemical source, considering you are getting lab grade and acs chemicals for laboratory uses, they have the best prices even if its not the biggest selection, I have seen 25L of formaldehyde for under $50, and the same for toluene and acetone, plus ass-kicking prices on their ntiric and sulfuric acids. However if you need mass quantities of technical grade stuff for rough, slightly impure synthesis, then I would recommend finding another source, like a garden store. Here in the USA, Ammonium nitrate is about $6 for a 25-50 kg bag.

Dave Angel
January 9th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Don't forget about the VAT on top of those labpak prices though!

I think 0.88 will be the SPecific GRavity of the ammonia solution which would give it a concentration of about 30% (nice). LR is possibly Laboratory Reagent, you get 'T' or Technical grade as well, GPR meaning General Purpose Reagent and AR Analytical Reagent. I think T grade would do the job for most of our applications but it's always nice to work with LR grade chems.

$6 for 25 to 50kg AN!!! It's around £30 for 25kg 34%N AN where I shop... thats $55. I can't believe that price difference. Is that typical in other UK member's experience?

Timmmm
January 10th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Yeah, it's annoying isn't it. Magnets are also much more expensive here... Where do you shop?
Also, 'sulphur flowers' ... thats small crystals right? Can the be ground down easily?

Dave Angel
January 11th, 2004, 08:26 AM
It not genrally a good idea to be posting specific sources (don't feed the kewls) so I'll say that I get it by mail order from a company that supplies a lot of garden centres. You should be able to find it from there.

As for sulphur flowers: http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/phys/sulphur.htm Looks like this is sulphur which has been resublimed and apparantly shouldn't be used in pyrotechnical compositions. I have little experience with classic pyrotechnics but I assume that the high activity or presence of sulphur dioxide impurities makes such compositions very sensitive / unstable.

I did make a little bp with sulphur flowers but it was of low quality and burnt very slowly. I didn't keep it for very long so don't know about it's stability, but I should think that the stability issue would apply more to chlorate / perchlorate + sulphur type mixtures.

gliper
January 21st, 2004, 06:38 AM
Flowers of sulfer are normaly slighly asidic and that Im told is the sole cause of its instablity so a simple mix with baking soda should take care of everything.
Dusting sulfer is far cheaper and alredy basic, sold as a funguside.

compound
June 3rd, 2004, 09:06 AM
Dont buy from labpak because if you read properly they dont sell any chemicals unless they are certain that they will be used for leagal purposes. If you choose to make sure you have a good excuse.

toast
October 10th, 2004, 09:31 PM
BTW urea nitrate is just that.. that not a mis label.. and its oly good for you lawn.. now good for fun :)

i just picked up 150lb's of AN "34/0/0" for 30$ at a local farm supply store..