View Full Version : MF and ANFO - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted 06-11-2001 03:48 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have access to MF no other HE to use as a booster, how much you would use to set of a Kg of ANFO?

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-12-2001 01:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never tried, but I'd expect 10 grams to be PLENTY. 5 would probably work, depending on the ANFO (oil %age, oil type, water content, form of AN (powder, prills, crystaline), density etc).

pete
Frequent Poster
posted 06-12-2001 03:32 PM
Sorry, i worked out what MF was, 10 grams should easily do the job.

[This message has been edited by pete (edited June 12, 2001).]

Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted 06-13-2001 02:15 AM
Well it looks like it needs a try.
Anyways do you think MF is better than AP or HMTD to do the job(at least less sensitive)?

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 06-13-2001 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Anthony

quote:
AP 5300m/s @ 1.18gm/cc
HMTD 5100m/s @ 1.10gm/cc
MF 5000m/s @ 4.00gm/cc
MF seems to be the poorest performer when it comes to VoD.

So if what you say is correct than 10 grams of AP will easily set off 1kg of ANFO.
Is this correct??
Demolition

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-13-2001 07:11 AM
HMTD is a MUCH better initiator than MF, and less sensitive to friction and impact! Just not as storage stable.

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted 06-13-2001 07:19 AM
I haven't tried ANFO with so little booster but 10 grams AP was more than enough for 200 grams AN + bronze paint(6% bronze paint) + 5-6ml styro prills.

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 06-13-2001 07:53 AM
As I have 9 grams of AP doing nothing I have decided to dream about some high explosives.However I am still deciding on which to try,HTH and Naphtha or ANFO.I'm thinking HTH and Naphtha as it does not require such a large booster.
I'll try some ANFO next time when I get 20+ grams of AP.
I'll let you know how my dream goes.
Demolition

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 06-16-2001 08:03 AM
Well today I dreamed about trying to detonate 270 grams of HTH and Naphtha.I pressed about 6 grams of AP into an aluminum tube,then inserted this into the explosive which was loaded into a 2 inch by 6 inch long piece of PVC pipe with 2 end caps.This was then put into a shallow hole.
The cap fired,however I do not believe all the explosive detonated as there was just a slight crack.
When the hole was inspected my friend and I came up with the conclusion that we had an incomplete detonation,however we believe that about 3/4 of the explosive fired.The reasons that we came up with this are-
1-PVC pipe was shattered into hundreds of pieces no more than a 5 cent piece in size.
2-There was a large cavity in the (rabbit) hole(much larger than before)
3-Only a small amount of undetonated explosive was recovered(maybe 10-20 grams)
We shall find out more tomorrow as the strong fumes from the HTH won't be there(hopefully,that shit is bad!)and we'll be able to inspect it more carefully.
Demolition

Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted 06-19-2001 02:35 AM
10g RDX would it be enough as a booster for a large ammount of ANFO?
BTW what is the critical temp for MF?

gcic
Frequent Poster
posted 06-19-2001 01:32 PM

J.Köhler & R.Meyer state that the deflagration point of mercury fulminate is between 165 and 170°C.