View Full Version : hniw - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 08:22 PM
pyromaniac_guy
posted 06-20-2001 01:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was woundering if anyone here has sucseeded in personally making some hniw on their own... I was looking at us pat no 5,693,794 and the synthesis on mega's site, and noticed with some intrest that all of the precursors are avalible form Alfa / Aesar... A company I have an acocunt with...
One stop shopping at it's best...

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 03:26 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HNIW is a pretty explosive but difficult to synthesize.There are many precursors and requires a complicated procedures as shown in the patent.Indeed these latest energetic materials such as ,TNAZ, and HNIW are expensive also.It is a challenge to a chemist with limited resources.From my point I will rather play with RDX,PETN or maybe HMX where ingredients are easily available and will not arouse much suspicion,because its materials are easier to obtain.Indeed HNIW have a high detonation rate but only the military can appreciate that.Who cares if these exotic explosive like HNIW can penetrate thicker armor than the PBXN-5 (95% HMX/5%flouroelastomer binder)By the way this PBXN-5 is used in the bursting charge of the 30mm chain gun of the Apache Chopper..The home manufacturer will not make this ammo,but can increase charge weight in their improvised shape charge in order to obtain the same penetrating power.I think that for the time being these new energetic materials should be of academic importance to us.We should be vigilant however because these exotic materials will the explosive workhorse of this new century.There is a lot of interesting things to learn from it!
[This message has been edited by cutefix (edited June 20, 2001).]

pyromaniac_guy
posted 06-20-2001 12:52 PM
Who said I had limited resources, who said I had any difficulty getting any of the precursors? who said I was interested in the explosives used in an apachie gun ship? All I asked is if anyone here has made the stuff. I was hopeing for pointers or tips, or ANY relavant information that might not be included in the patent or on Mega's site. Thanks in advance to anyone who replys with a post who pertains to my question.

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 06-21-2001 03:36 AM
Pyro, my comment about limited resources pertains to a lot of us here,That may not include you because you have the access to the sources.I did not mean to discourage you from your zeal with CL-20(hniw).I am just being practical. I would like to ask is have you done extensive study with this new material?It has more isomers than HMX.I think you should consult Dr. Arnold Nielsen(its inventor) for practical info about it,He is the only authority to answer your questions.If you have enough balls and a computer geek you can try hacking Los Alamos and Lawrence Livermore Laboratories.I presume they have extensive database about it.Then we will be happy if you can share it with us.I don’t mean any harm pal,just words of encouragement!.Incidentally I like also to know more about HNIW,TNAZ,FOX-7,Octanitrocubane, and other new energetic materials more than what we can find in the internet. I wish Good Luck for your quest!