View Full Version : AN+acetic acid?

S. Toppholzer
May 13th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Just read a patent wherein the inventor talks about a an/acetic acid mixture which would be detonable with a #8 detonator.
I thought that only AN and acetic anhydride would be a usable explosive. I serached the Forum a couple of times with different search strings but came up with nothing.
Does anyone knows if AN-acetic acid would be a feasible explosive?
I've got one liter of it left - this would be the only usage for it I think.

DBSP
May 13th, 2002, 12:24 PM
What patent?

This would allso interest me since I have some glacial acetic acid (0.5-0.8L) and lots of AN.

vulture
May 13th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Sounds possible. Glacial Acetic acid is flammable, so this would be a kind of ANFO. Only bad point I see is that they are both hygroscopic.

S. Toppholzer
May 13th, 2002, 03:39 PM
DBSP:
I found it on the forum ftp - it's a patent of a FAE-bomb which uses a core of a heaving explosive instead of a fast high explosive, this mixture was suggested therein but no detailed info was given.

Mr Cool
May 13th, 2002, 06:07 PM
It should work, like ANFO but smellier.
I reckon something like 85% AN, 15% acid would be OK.

DBSP
May 16th, 2002, 05:28 PM
I tried a detonating 520g of ANAA today. I mixed the AN and 12% glacial acetic acid and then added 100ml of fine saw dust with a very low density to reduce the over all density. At the end the density was about 1.04 g/cc. I poured it into a glass jar and inserted the cap made out of a shotgun shell full with moderately pressed AP. Lit the fuse and threw it into a river. It just made a thump I've got the audio but it's nothing impressive. I doubt it detonated. It might work with heavier confinement and a larger booster but it's not really worth it, glacial acetic acid doesn't smell very nice.

It would be interesting to find out the real ratio though.

S. Toppholzer
May 17th, 2002, 09:27 AM
OK. I've found the patent. It wasn't about FAE's though.
It's patent 3,279,965 (Ammonium Nitrate Explosive Compositions):

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">1 kilogram of slightly crushed crystallized foamed ammonium nitrate (density not packed 0.654, density when packed 0.71, adsorption coefficient for gas oil 10%, well dired, water content 0.17%) is mixed with 70 grams of acetic acid and after 1 hour's rest the product is filled into shells, consisting of cardboard tubes having a diameter of 35 mm. Complete explosion is obtained with a No. 8 primer.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Makes me wonder if the person really meant "explosion" or if that was to be understood as "detonation".