View Full Version : useless nitromethane - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 08:29 PM
TylerDurden
Frequent Poster
posted 06-26-2001 06:24 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've read somewhere that you can't store nitromethane because within 1 or 2 years it becomes useless for explosive purposes.
I would like to know if that's true, and if so: what happens to the NM? Is it oxidised or reduced, or something else?
And how can you tell you've got old NM?
I know that the very pure nitromethane chemical (which is a colorless liquid) is stable and CAN be stored for years but the "pure" NM they sell for race fuel is pale yellow and has additives like an indicator (which turns purple when the NM becomes dangerously sensitive, e.g. when acids or alkalines are added).
And last time I purchased this race fuel NM it was colored deeply yellow and it smelled a little bit "fishy" and not at all like it used to. Is that a sign the stuff is old? (I first thought the smell might be methylamine (product of reduced NM), but this is a gas and very alkaline which would have to give the NM a purple colour so it probably is something else). By the way, this NM did explode.
Does anyone have some answers for me?

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 06-26-2001 07:58 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a 1l bottle NM in my cellar (cool & dark) for around 2 years & it worked fine for ANNM. There was no color or smell change. It may depend on the additives, coloring agents etc. that you mention that "race fuel" NM isn't as storable as 100% NM.
------------------
for best catfood visit:
kangaroooo.cjb.net

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 06-26-2001 08:25 AM
So if I was to purchase 5 liters of 99.98% Nitromethene it should still be good to use for 2 years.
(should last me for quite a while I hope)
Demolition

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 06-26-2001 04:27 PM
i think the reason racing fuel doesn't last as long is that it contains methanol which i *think* absorbs moisture from the air. not 100% sure though. if you don't opem it letting air in it'll store for years. mines turned all green but the new bottle of it which has never been opened is still orangeish.

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 06-27-2001 08:37 AM
There is a discussion about nitromethane in “New and Improved C-4” in the miscellaneous section,I hope this will add some light to your topic.

TylerDurden
Frequent Poster
posted 06-27-2001 10:56 AM
OK, thanks. I didn't know the question was already discussed elsewhere. By the way, the pure stuff is still very good even after 3-4 years of storage.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 06-28-2001 06:35 AM
make sure that you store it in a sealed container, it is volatile, so if there are any holes or anything, it will evaporate in a short time.