View Full Version : Rocket Fuel - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 08:31 PM
paleothol
posted 12-14-2000 02:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I woke up yesterday and decided to build rocket (not a firework) and I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a good homemade rocket fuel to make it go quite high but not too high????
Also please dont say the one with KNO3 and Sugar cos I can't be arsed making any KNO3 or buying any!!

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 12-14-2000 03:04 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you could use black powder to make you rocket engine. all you have to do is press the BP into a casing. you have to use a really good casing though, and the BP has to be pressed with ALOT of pressure. a crack in the casing, or an engine that has BP with pockets in it, will result in an explosions of the engine. if you get it to work right, and you nozzle does a good job. you can launch a rocket pretty high. these engines are pretty powerful.
------------------
...Æ

paleothol
posted 12-14-2000 03:17 PM
By the way if anybody is wondering why i can't be arsed to buy any KNO3 it's because i live in England and it is very hard to come by!!

Anthony
posted 12-14-2000 04:47 PM
If you can't be bothered to do KNO3/sucrose then you might as well give up as it's the simplest rocket propeelant around.
KNO3 is not especially hard to come by in England, you just can't expect to see it in the supermarket, look around.

KAD
posted 12-14-2000 05:55 PM
you get kno3 from black powder
i think it is 68grams of BP
and liter of water
you boil the bp down and i think you get kno3 once you filter it

but ask some one about this iam not sure to tell you to do it and it will work right

Anthony
posted 12-14-2000 06:12 PM
Why the hell would you destroy perfectly good BP for lowly KNO3???

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 12-14-2000 07:39 PM
No Doubt. If you have black powder why would you destroy it.
------------------
A wise man once said:
"It is Better to Die on Your Feet; Than to Live on your Knees "
--Zappata

Agent Blak----OUT!!

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 12-14-2000 09:10 PM
well i bet someone could come up with a reason to extract KNO3 from BP, but when making rocket engines, if yoyu have BP, then use that.
------------------
...Æ

Starforce
Frequent Poster
posted 12-14-2000 09:45 PM
Blackpowder is shit !! Sugar and kno3 are best you must meld it its very easy, or try
Vit.C and Kclo3 its even very very good !
And not the proppelant is important , the contruction is Important !

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted 12-14-2000 11:41 PM
To get KNO3 from gun powder just make a runny slurry of distilled water and black powder. Filter out the solids then evaporate the water, you will be left with KNO3.
There is also 1pt Zn to 2pts Flours of Sulfur (by weight). Wet it with 10% by weight water and using a press ram the mixture into a casing at some 5000psi, the mixture will form a one piece proppellant. Ignite with BP. Both ingredients need to be as fine as you can get them, 600mesh being the max particle size.

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 12-15-2000 03:23 AM
I have experimented with amatuer model rocketry, the Kno3-Sucrose rocket propellant's performance is amazing.
On one flight a bubble or crack in the grain caused an explosion, which wasnt very powerful, but it did send burning peices of propellant everywhere.

I always used cardboard carpet rolls and home-spun asphalt paper tubes as casing's, raining shrapnel from a high altitude (or the ground) wouldnt be pretty.

THESE LINKS ARE PROVIDED SOLELY FOR YOUR READING ENJOYMENT, I AM NOT STATING THAT THIS HOBBY IS SAFE, NOR THAT YOU SHOULD ATTEMPT ANYTHING MENTIONED IN THESE PAGES!!!
http://www.redstone.army.mil/safety/reg385100/385ch24.html
-the safety guide.
http://huizen.dds.nl/~wfvisser/EN/
-theres a few rockets in there.
http://members.aol.com/ricnakk/
-a very, very good site about Kno3 based propellant's.
http://members.home.net/jelanier/sbpc.html
-A mathematical basis for propellant characterization.
http://www.accutek.com/~moistner/solid.htm
-a huge scientific article about solid propellants.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/5402/
-a water rocket propulsion page, great site.

[This message has been edited by BoB- (edited December 15, 2000).]

CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 12-15-2000 03:35 AM
KNO3 and sugar kinda sucks. Use binded black powder. The professional, high impact engines use dextrin as the binder, but you can just use a little acetone. Wet the black powder and let it dry inside your rocket casing. It should dry nice and rock hard.
Another nice one is potassium chlorate and charcoal, binded with acetone.

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 12-15-2000 02:50 PM
Guy`s some Bp in fireworks i not good for making rockets so if you take alot of this stuff and get the KNO3 out of it you can make a better mixture of it.
--==DarkAngel==--
------------------
Go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com Alot off Bombs/Explosives and Homemade Weapons!!

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 12-15-2000 03:55 PM
or you could by commerical grade BP...
------------------
...Æ

Anthony
posted 12-15-2000 03:57 PM
KNO3/sucrose is better than BP? BP burns many times faster giving more thrust, there's a reason KNO3/sucrose needs a core to achieve enough thrust to take off, they also need priming with BP.
If KNO3/sucrose rocked so much then it would be used to make commercial motors.

Codemason, if you mean fill the rocket casing with BP sludge and let it set, I've triedthis and it didn't work, the grain shrinks as it dries leaving a gap between the grain and the casing - bang.

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted 12-15-2000 07:51 PM
I belive the reason KNO3/Sugar is better is because it produces more gases, making it a better propellant. It's also more safe than using BP.
------------------
"ARE YOUR PAPERS IN ORDER" -- Jack Booted Thug

Anthony
posted 12-15-2000 08:26 PM
KNO3/sucrose is called a "low specific impulse propellant" I really can't believe people would call BP "shit" compared to it.
BP is safe, otherwise it wouldn't be sold to kiddies in the form of Estes motors.

KNO3/sucrose motors also go soggy if stored, whereas BP motors have a very long shelf life.

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted 12-15-2000 10:01 PM
I don't think Estes probably uses typical black powder, not the same formula the Goex or Elephant would sell. There's probably something different. I've found bp to shrink up to in the few times I've tried it. What do you do that it doesn't shrink?
Pyrotec sells a book on making rocket proppellants using AN for an oxidizer. The also sell kits, the bodies are made from pvc.

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 12-15-2000 11:02 PM
well doesn't NASA (or: didn't NASA) use an AN based propellent in there solid rocket boosters?
------------------
...Æ

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted 12-15-2000 11:13 PM
Yes. I dont know if they still do though. It is the most powerfull shit I have ever heard of.

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 12-16-2000 05:37 AM
Do you have the recipe?
--==DarkAngel==--
------------------
Go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com Alot off Bombs/Explosives and Homemade Weapons!!

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted 12-16-2000 06:22 AM
The shuttle's rocket boosters use amonium perchlorate, aluminum, and binder. I was going to be fancy and post the formula but the PFP site were it could be found is defunct.
On the subject of BP VS. Sugar/KNO3 you can make much larger rockets with the candy propellant than with BP, witch makes it more viable in my opinion.

------------------
"ARE YOUR PAPERS IN ORDER" -- Jack Booted Thug

truepyro
posted 12-16-2000 04:12 PM
I managed to get a copy of the PFP before it went aways so here's the formula for NASA rockets SofaKing was referring to.
Ammonium perchlorate 69.9
Polybutadiene 12.04
Epoxy curing agent 1.96
Aluminum powder 16
Red iron oxide 0.07

10fingers
Frequent Poster
posted 12-16-2000 05:01 PM
According to pyrotek, ammonium nitrate motors are used for some military applications. I was thinking of buying the formula from them but you have to purchase the whole package with the videotape for $69.00. Their price for the fuel/binder is kind of high also, I've been trying to find an alternative. I've done a little experimenting with KNO3/sucrose motors and they seem to work very well. I have not yet tried the method of melting it, like candy and pouring it in the tube. This sounds like a better idea than compacted powder because it would be denser if melted.

Anthony
posted 12-16-2000 06:08 PM
Esyes motors are; kno3, charcoal, sulphur dextrin - that's BP!
I'll certainly agree that kno3/sucrose is good for bigger motors from a construction point of view. They're probaly safer too.

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted 12-17-2000 02:03 PM
Didn't happen to say what curing agent was used did it? Or atleast give an equivalence weight? Assuming it's either an anhydride or amine cured system.

truepyro
posted 12-17-2000 04:31 PM
Well is would depend on which polybutadiene resin you use. For the hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene you need an isocynate such as isophorone diisocynate or methylene diphenyl diisocyanate. For the carboxyl terminated polybutadiene I think you need something like diglycidyl ether of bisphenol. I don't know as much about the carboxyl type. Hope this helps.

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted 12-18-2000 07:12 PM
Diglycidyl Ether is it, but there are variations depending on the cure you want. If I remember correclty rocket fuel is a little soft, but that could also be due to the numerous fillers.

vehemt
Frequent Poster
posted 12-19-2000 10:54 PM
Anthony, BP is good for launching a rocket into the sky, but for long burns, KNO3/sucrose provides a better sustained thrust (good for higher altitudes). Reason why it is not used commercially is because it is highly hygroscopic.
KNO3/sucrose does produce more energy, but BP has higher burn rate, thats all.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 12-23-2000 11:59 AM
KNO3/sorbitol (or KNO3/sucrose, which is easier to get) motors are better than BP motors in my opinion. The reason they're not used in commercial model rockets is because they absorb moisture. You NEED to melt the components together to get it to work well. Use an oil bath at 200 C for the KNO3/sucrose. Use 65g KNO3 for every 35g sucrose. Cast it into a thick cardboard tube and push a piece of dowell into it while it's still soft to make the core.

Frosty
posted 01-04-2001 04:00 PM
Hey I was thinking and could you put flash powder in a rocket or would it just blow up or something?

Anthony
posted 01-04-2001 04:44 PM
They do put flash in rockets, it's what makes them go "bang" at the end of their flight.
If you meant a flash rocke motor, then you are insane! It just burns way too fast, that said, whistle mix is kind of an organic flash and that goes in coreless, nozzles rocket motors.

Frosty
posted 01-04-2001 04:54 PM
hmmm...I'm insane...but thats why I come here to ask anyhting before I actually do somehting....is there anyway to slow donw the brun rate of flash powder?

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted 01-07-2001 03:32 AM
You could try binding it with an epoxy(like the Amm. perchlorate formulas posted above);you'll have to do some exprimenting to get the proper ratios,though.
------------------
"There can be only one!"

[This message has been edited by MacCleod (edited January 07, 2001).]

J
posted 01-07-2001 07:06 AM
I remember a post on rec.pyrotechnics by Thomas Perrigrin discussing flash rockets. Apparently, he made a few at a pyro convention! I think he used vaseline to bind them, and he pressed them into the case using a hydrolic press. Of course, all this was done behind a hefty metal blast screen. When they worked, they worked well. When they didn't, you can imagine what happened ;-)
J

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted 01-07-2001 05:23 PM
I wouldnt mess with flash rockets. Esp. if you are useing a cholrate! It (for me) it also too expensive to waist Potassium Perchlorate and Al powder. About all flash it good for in HE it the detonators (for a primary, in compound caps). I think its fairly storage stable also (much more than peroxides). It might not be a bad idea filling the nose cone with flash though (assuming you have an ejection charge, if not then you better look out where it falls!).

PYRO500
posted 01-07-2001 05:44 PM
I have seen too many pages showing how to make flash powder by:
take some al powder and put it in a jar, then add an oxidizer such as potassium or sodium perchlorate and shake vigorously till the ingredients are mixed!

the person who makes flash that way will end up going:
now I add the perchlorate, shake and booooooom.

serously the correct way to mix powders is to put them on a sheet of newspaper, run them together inthe center crease and run that into a jar, just wear a dust mask esp when making flash as al powder caused altshimers (spelling?) and powders will cause you to blow multi colored nasal mucus (gross)

Anthony
posted 01-07-2001 07:40 PM
Hehe, I've done the multi-coloured mucas thing! The method of mixing pyro500 suggested is the "diaper" method and is highly recommended.

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 01-08-2001 01:58 AM
I've found tissue paper works quite well too with the diaper method.
Anyways, a flash-propellant rocket? no way, you'll never vent the gas's fast enough to prevent an explosion

J
posted 01-08-2001 02:23 PM

The flash rockets were unreliable, often exploding. The binder (vaseline) combined with the powder being pressed slowed down the flash to some extent, but I'de never make one of these myself.
I've been blowing black snot from my nose for the past few hours since I've been making charcoal today :-)

J

PYRO500
posted 01-08-2001 04:43 PM
don't say I didn't warn ya

Frosty
posted 01-08-2001 05:23 PM
Man i can respond finally, I forgot my pass word and had it emailed to me but i didn't come for a while, as for the dumb idea about flash rockets ill just do Kno3 and sugar.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 01-26-2001 12:32 PM
KNO3 sucrose is a low impulse rocket fuel. It burns slow so it needs to have a core. BP rocket fuel though, has a lower sp. impulse than KNO3 sucrose, but it burns faster so it is used as an end burner like in estes engines. I think AN would be much more powerful than KNO3 so check it out, I know I will since I like rockets

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 01-26-2001 01:17 PM
But AN(NH4NO3) is very hydroscopic; So it may not be the best choice.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"... As He Waits For The Time When The Last Become First And,
The First Shall Become last"
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 01-26-2001 04:49 PM
well personly i would try to make a combination of black powder and sucrose. maybe the standard sucrose and KNO3 but with black powder in it.
also could starch be used?.....i don't know much about starch but i do know it is made of many glucose molecules joined together so i would expect it to work as a fuel...and it doesn't absorb moisture from the air.

Anthony
posted 01-26-2001 05:47 PM
I remember reading about somone who added 20% BP when melting the KNO3/sucrose (the ignition temp of BP is significantly higher than KNO3/sucrose) and apparently it went really well, much better than straight KNO3/sucrose.
COuld be a nice compromise between the symplicity of KNO3/sucrose and the power of burnrate of BP.

the_wingman
Frequent Poster
posted 02-03-2001 10:21 AM
Maybe the following mixture would work nice as a rocket propellant:
KNO3 : K2CO3 : S = 3:2:1
(K2CO3: potassium carbonate)

JB
posted 06-24-2001 09:24 AM
Am i able to mix dextrin with NaClO3/sugar to produce a suitable rocket engine? I could also replace the sugar with charcoal and maybe sulphur (i know this is a dangerous mix but if it was in a cast mix it would just burn fiercely without exploding wouldnt it?). Any suggestions? Its just i have SO much weedkiller to play

J
posted 06-24-2001 10:29 AM
Even slow burning Chlorate mixtures are very explosive when confined, so be careful if you decide to use xClO3 in rocket fuel. In order for the Dextrin to work as a binder, the mixture must have some water added. Since NaClO3 is very hygroscopic, you'll have a job drying it.
Adding Sulphur is a very bad idea, especially if you're going to make the mixture wet.

I have a method on my site for making rockets with weedkiller (you don't even need to extract the NaClO3). The fuel is tissue paper, works well :-)

J

------------------
Download the forum archive from my yahoo briefcase
PGP key available here (ID = 0x5B66A792)

Anthony
posted 06-24-2001 07:05 PM
I've made NaCLO3/sucrose motors and they can be a bitch, there's a fine line between getting them to fly and them exploding. Chlorate mixtures tend to burn quite slowly but produce very high pressures. The fuel grain has to be very hard to stop the motor exploding and hammering chlorates is not recomended. I found that the motors I made wouildn't fly without a small core, but if the core was longer than an inch the motor would explode have such a limited length meant they didn't go very high. A high I.D without a core might have solved that problem but I couldn't be bothered and moved onto BP which is much more forgiving.

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 06-24-2001 07:12 PM
I tried J's idea for a NaClO3 rocket with TP (I used kitchen roll) but packed it a little too hard/ had too small a nozzle, I lit it using my fuse, and moved away a small distance, the fuse went through the nozzle ... BANG! Bit of kitchen roll on fire went quite a way, but there were still loads of little white bits everywhere, pretty scary at the time, but very fun, the bang was very loud, and I could hear dogs barking everywhere.

J
posted 06-25-2001 07:26 AM
They are difficult to get right. The trick is to build the casing around the fuel grain; if it's rolled up tight then there is no need for any pressing, let alone ramming. A nozzle of around 1/3 of the internal diameter will let it fly without exploding (most of the time ;-)).

yt2095
June 19th, 2003, 09:03 AM
J,

i`ve done exactly the same thing with the toilet paper a few years ago, it worked great!
i made a suturaed NaClO3 solution and dipped the tissue sheets in it one at a time and let them dry (i was trying to make a cheap type of flash paper, then by accident i picked some up and it wasn`t dry so i rolled it into a ball and let it dry anyway, wow! it burns well!
so the next step was to make quite a bit of this wrap it round a straw when partly dry. then shove it into a Alu tube and compress the semi pry paper with a screw driver, gently pull the straw out the middle and leave it dry for a few days in airing cuboard, i used a cork so seal the one end and left the other open, sellotaped a stick to it, rammed a fuse in the core, and got my friend to light it while i videod it (i aint stoopid) :)
it flew well! tho it did take a second or 2 to "warm up" i got about 75 meters out of it.
not bad for a bit of bog roll and weedkiller.
on further tests 7 flew and 2 were just like inverted roman candles.
i got a bit carried away and started adding sulpher between sheets of paper and got a little impatient and started drying them on my strorage heater :(
1.7 kilos of the stuff went off in my hallway at about 6am filling the flat with smoke and setting small fires to carpet and stuff (i have pics but don`t know how to post them?)

NEVER mix chlorates and sulpher! you`ll get away with it for 100 times, then 1 day Wallop!. your wife bans you from ever making the stuff again. she`s quite right too!

stay safe and don`t let enthusiasm lead you into danger!

Wild Catmage
December 13th, 2003, 07:33 PM
I've had similar experiences with chlorate/paper rockets, only the ones that didn't work for me went "BANG" instead :rolleyes:. I believe that the aluminium casing I used were too weak, being made from layers of heavy duty foil. A k3wl friend of mine managed to fill his house full of smoke by drying out chlorate/paper propellant in a gas fan oven. It also screwed up the food inside the oven :D.

Anyway, onto my latest experiment...

An AA battery is around 15mm in diameter and 50mm in length. In an AA battery, the positive terminal is connected to a black (carbon?) rod that ran through most of the length of the battery. This could be useful in the manufacture of small rockets, I thought…

I took an AA battery and disassembled it, before scraping out the black paste inside, which was discarded.

I took equally sized piles, each of about 5mL in volume, of sugar and finely ground sodium nitrate.

I placed the sugar into a small aluminium dish (the type that tealight candles come in) and heated it gently over a flame until the sugar had melted and changed to a dark brown colour. At this stage, small bubbles were forming on the surface of the sugar.

I slowly added the sodium nitrate in five parts, and stirred the mixture with a toothpick.

The mixture was then poured into the empty AA battery, but did not completely fill the battery.

While the mixture was still fluid, I replaced the carbon rod attached to the positive terminal. I then rotated the positive terminal, as I cooled the battery under a tap. The positive terminal, with the carbon rod, was then withdrawn from the battery, leaving a core down the centre of the refilled battery.

A 50/50 (by volume) sugar and sodium chlorate mix was prepared. This mix was then poured into the rocket’s core. The metal case of the battery was then bent, with the aid of pliers, into a crude nozzle.

The rocket (finless, fuseless and stickless) was then placed in a launch tube made from a section of 20mm steel pipe. As there was only a small amount of propellant in the rocket, I figured that a welding glove ought to protect me from any burns. Sadly, unforeseen technical problems (the presence of an anti-pyro relative) meant that I was unable to launch my rocket.

I’ll be launching this rocket tomorrow and will post the results of its flight then.

EDIT - Well, the rocket burnt fairly quickly, emitting a nice shower of sparks, but sadly, did not take off. I ended up with more of a fountain than a rocket. Next time, I'll try cooking the fuel for less.

mr.pyro
December 14th, 2003, 02:41 AM
The rockets Ive launched always burn longer and stronger if you dont let the sugar cook to browish color. Keep it white while carmalizing, it takes a while, but produces more power.