View Full Version : Rocket explosives - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Kodiak
posted 04-22-2001 11:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using AP as a propellant, what bursting explosive should I use, and in what section of the rocket? It seems that having the explosive in the nose would affect the balance, but would it explode on contact if the explosive is in the middle , or would the AP detonate the bursting explosive prematurely if the explosives are in the bottom section?
Bear with me......

SMAG 12B/E5
Frequent Poster
posted 04-22-2001 11:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kodiak your questions indicate a need for some really basic research. There is a wealth of data available in the files of the more knowledgeable members of this Forum. There is a large amount of data available in the numerous rocketry sites also. There are a number of explosive mix/compounds that can be launched by rockets. Before you attempt to launch an explosive device, spend some time researching rocketry and examine some diagrams of working systems, military and civilian.

10fingers
Frequent Poster
posted 04-23-2001 09:20 AM
Do not use AP for a rocket propellant. It will detonate before your rocket gets one millimeter off the ground.

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 04-23-2001 09:41 AM
AP ? Do you mean Acetone Peroxide or Ammonium Perchlorate ?

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted 04-23-2001 03:39 PM
Be extremely careful with home made rockets and rocket propellants. Especially if you fill CO2 cartridges. I've made a lot of rockets with CO2 cartridges with KMnO4 + S and white and red propellant(KNO3 + sugar). It works great, but is fucken dangerous. The rocket could explode or fly in a damn direction. The proportion between the diameter of the nozzle and the diameter of the fuel cylinder(CO2 cartrifge) is 1:4,5(the fuel is KMnO4 + S(2:1 on volume the 2 is the KMnO4)
p.s. Do you know the exact reaction between the KMnO4 and the Sulphur?
p.s.2 Isn't this for the low explosives?
------------------
DEAD BITCH NEVER SAYS 'NO'!
HAPPY BURNDAY SWEETHARD!

Cyware
posted 04-23-2001 04:19 PM
If AP is acetone peroxide, the rocket will fly for sure. But maybe you don't want
to fly in lots of tiny pieces, at various impredictible directions...

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 04-24-2001 05:13 AM
4KMnO4 + 3S --> 2K2O + 4MnO2 + 3SO2
or but less probable
2KMnO4 + S --> K2MnO4 + MnO2 + SO2
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

the freshmaker
Frequent Poster
posted 04-25-2001 03:10 PM
Last summer I made (in my dream) some very powerfull rockets with KMnO4 and Zinc dust for fuel. They had a tremendous axelleration.
They burned very fast with a nice hizzzzzing sound. One day a mixed in a litle sulfur with the KMnO4 and Zn. I shouldn't had done that cause the rocket exploded BIG TIME!
You should try these rockets (NO sulfur)
But remember you should allways be carefull with KMnO4 comps.

------------------
good boy with bad ideas

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 04-26-2001 05:27 PM
There has been some speculation over where KMnO4 detonates when mixed with S.
I know KMnO4 gets as sensitive as hell when mixed with S though.

the freshmaker
Frequent Poster
posted 04-27-2001 07:43 AM
Blackadder: When you say that KMnO4/S might detonate do you then mean; ignited with a cap or what? There is NO way that it can detonate simply ignited with a fuse!!
KMnO4/S is sensitive as hell? That really depends what you are camparing it with!
KClO3/S is WAAAAY more sensitive!

------------------
good boy with bad ideas

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 04-27-2001 01:45 PM
I guess I was going a bit OTT when I said that, but it's still bloody sensitive.
I was talking about the mixture being detonated with a det. cap. I don't believe that, I just said there was some speculation over whether it detonates or not.

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 06-04-2001 07:58 AM
If I could get my pictures working I could show you what 7 grams of KMnO4 and Sulfur do when ignited with a match.(See KMnO4 and S post)
Demolition

mark
Frequent Poster
posted 06-07-2001 06:58 PM
Im not sure exactly what kodiak is asking, but i believe he wants to know how to make a rocket with an AP payload. This can be easily done by folowing these instructions.
Step one: Drill a fuse hole through the primer of a spent 44 cartridge. Hot glue in a short fuse(1 inch outside).

Step two: fill cartride 2/3 full with ap. Place a piece of tp over the ap, then hot glue over the tp. Make sure the glue isnt hot enough to burn you if it touches your skin.

Step three: Take an estes rocket engine. Scrape out the egection charge and drill a hole as wide as the fuse into the rocket propelent. have the hole 3/4 of an inch deep. Insert the fused cartride into the hole. Glue it in place.

There you go. Atomic bottle rocket.

angelo
Frequent Poster
posted 06-08-2001 07:33 AM
touches your skin!!!!
what about the AP,
speaking from experience, tissue paper will not provide enough insulation to stop the AP from warming up and going bang

------------------
if our society had shown me a path other than violence, I would have taken it.
angelo's place | have a good link? add it here | go to the OZ Forum

[This message has been edited by angelo (edited June 08, 2001).]

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 06-09-2001 12:32 PM
I found some pictures that i did not made and placed them on my site of a .45 cartridge fild with AP,just putt some kind of putty ad the end,or just use something better than a .45 cartride like PVC pipe or cartboard