View Full Version : pull igniters - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 08:39 PM
A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 06-01-2001 05:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was reading this old army demolition pamphlet and it talks about these pull igniters for crimping on to fuses, so I was wondering what was in them that when you pull the handle a flame comes out and lights the fuse. And then how could I make my own.
------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

EP
Frequent Poster
posted 06-01-2001 06:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can order kits to make pull igniters here http://www.firefox-fx.com/kits.htm

Anthony
posted 06-01-2001 07:58 PM
You could probably make them from an empty pen tube with a party popper charge threaded through and a small charge of black powder to provide some heat.

ftsman
Frequent Poster
posted 06-01-2001 11:20 PM
not to flame but not BP. use crushed match. if u did it wrong the popper would act like a primer catching all the BP at once . the there goes your hand. id just buy them.

A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 06-01-2001 11:39 PM
Any ideas on how to make the forula for the ignition tubes at how with only easly gotten chemicals nothing to I need to buy like potassium chlorate, phlosphours, and that like?
------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

JB
posted 06-02-2001 09:54 AM
I have made a few pull pin ignitors for fuses using a party popper with a tiny amound of BP at the end of a chlorate-soaked hemp rope fuse within the party popper. This works quite well.
Also another pull pin idea i made was an electronic idea (in no way do i mean to sound 'kewl' with this). Very simply, a circuit containing a battery, solar ignitor and two contacts on a clothes peg seperated my a piece of plastic. the solar ignitor was attached firmly to the end of a fuse leading to a small exploding device. when the battery was attached and the piece of plastic pulled from between the contacts the fuse was lit.
The match head and fuse lit by the pulling of sandpaper pin is probably the best idea though.
A plastic / metal pen tube that is slighty larger than than the fuse diameter should be used, and the fuse should ignite the main charge from the centre, therefor pushing the tube down into the middle of this.

Heavy Recoil
Frequent Poster
posted 06-02-2001 01:15 PM
Whats wrong with the one made with a machbook and matches. NBK2000's Grenade file can describe them better than I can and with pictures.
[This message has been edited by Heavy Recoil (edited June 02, 2001).]

A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 06-03-2001 06:58 PM
I've never had one of those match book igniters work for me, but the sand paper and match in a pen tube one sound good thanx. and I've found a site that sells the fuse assemblys from handgrenades I would by some if they weren't sold-out. Any more ideas guys or gals ?
------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

ftsman
Frequent Poster
posted 06-03-2001 10:31 PM
the match thing works great 4 me. the only thing i can think of is you didnt tape the cover tight enough dont be afraid to put a little force into the procedure. force the cover to press on the matches so hard that it takes effort to pull the strip out.

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 06-03-2001 11:40 PM
Im working on a design but it has some small flawas and needs testing but first I need some visco when it is done and if it works I will put plans up for it. I can post plans and name the flaws and mabey you guys can work them out and test it (I cant get visco.)

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 06-04-2001 07:35 AM
This is german but with pics. The kiddie firework contains some sensible stuff, if you put it in a straw with some *meal powder* and attach the fuse you have your pull igniter.
Very easy to build!
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/docbombe/anleitung/anleitung.htm#Anreißzünder

------------------
for best catfood visit:
kangaroooo.cjb.net

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 06-04-2001 10:24 AM
That site right there is modvation to learn german.
I used a method similar to NBK2000 pull igniter ecept I use as friction system(striker).
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

ftsman
Frequent Poster
posted 06-04-2001 03:34 PM
i agree with agent black. the pics r exteamly interesting. but some of the pics r hard to put together in my head. if some one knows a similar if not identical page in english i would think highly it.

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 06-04-2001 05:33 PM
does anybody know of any websites that can teach you german? it would be a good resource for people who can't speak it. i know a little german. i didn't find it hard to learn because its very logical.

Mexican Pizza
posted 06-04-2001 05:50 PM
in response to wantsomfet's posted website... there is a website that can translate webpages to english. heres the link:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn i think that this will be of use to everyone that doesn't know german.
[This message has been edited by Mexican Pizza (edited June 04, 2001).]

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted 06-05-2001 12:19 AM
The kit from Firefox works well,but you can use a ball-point pen body and matches for a home-made version.Get some fine wire,cut it into 4 in. sections,crush about 1/8th. inch of the ends with a pair of needle-nose plyers (to help the sriker comp. stay on).
Crush up some match head powder.Next,scrape the striker composition off of several packs of matches (large boxes of wood matches have alot on them).Mix the comp. with just enough mucilage to make a sticky slurry,dab onto the crushed ends of the wires,allow to dry completely.
Cut the bottom 1-1/4 inch off of the lower pen body (this is your fuse barrel).
Insert the wires down into the barrel half-way (with the striker end facing the larger,open end of the tube).Then mix the match head powder with mucilage,dab this down into the tip of each tube,all around the pull wire.When you're ready to use them,carefully pull the wire down into the body until about 1/4 in. from the tip/match comp..Then glue your fuse down into the open end of the barrel and pull the wire.
You can use crushed igniter tip from a road flare in place of the match heads (flares are also a good source of striker comp.!)And it doesn't hurt to attach a key ring to the pull-wire,to make it easier to pull through.
ftsman-a rubber band in place of tape works great on nbk's pull-igniters.

NZ_pyro
November 14th, 2004, 06:20 AM
In my search for an easy to use pull pin igniter this is what I came up with.

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=511&stc=1

These are made from entirely over the counter materials so they should be fairly easy to make, you need nothing more than a hacksaw, power drill and a soldering iron.

Complete list of materials:
Length of brass pipe that is 80mm long, 7mm inside diameter.
Length of brass pipe that is 45mm long and 6mm inside diameter.
Length of brass pipe that is 55mm long and 3mm inside diameter.
Paper clip.
Key ring.
Solder.
Piece of metal 10mm long and 5mm in diameter. (striker)
Spring taken from a standard bic pen.
Visco fuse.
Heatshrink tubing.
Cap gun cap.

Tools:
Power drill and 1.5mm diameter drill bit.
Hacksaw.
Soldering iron.
Hot air gun.

Assembly:
(most people can probably work this out for themselves but I will include it anyway)
Plug one end of the 80mm long, 7mm wide brass pipe with a plug of solder then drill a 1.5mm diameter hole through both sides of the pipe 30mm from the solder plug in the top. Place the 55mm long, 3mm wide brass pipe inside the 45mm long 6mm wide brass pipe so that 5mm of the 3mm wide pipe protrudes 5mm from each end of the 45mm pipe and solder it in place.
Place a dent in the 45mm long pipe 20mm from one end. The purpose of this dent is to deform the pipe slightly so that when it is pushed inside the 7mm wide tube it sticks in place with 20mm of pipe sticking out one end.
Solder the spring from the bic pen to one end of the 10mm long 5mm wide chunk of metal. Place this striker assembly spring end first into the end of the 7mm wide tube.
Open out the paper clip and cut off a piece about 30mm long. Solder this to one side of the key ring. This is the pull pin.
Find something like a knitting needle and use it to shove the striker up the 7mm wide tube until it is behind the 1.5mm hole. Insert the pull pin through this hole to secure the striker in place. Place a cap gun cap over the protruding 3mm diameter pipe that is furthest from the dent in the outside of the pipe.
Cut a length of Visco fuse that is about 70mm long. Insert it into the opposite end of the 3mm pipe until it is touching the inside of the cap gun cap.
Cut a piece of Heatshrink tube about 10mm long and slip it over the exposed Visco fuse. Shrink it with the hot air gun. Note, use the hot air gun on the lowest possible setting.
Insert the completed fuse assembly 30mm into the open end of the 7mm diameter tube. It should hold itself in place if the dent in the 6mm tube was positioned correctly.

To use this thing, simply pull the pin. The striker will hit the cap and light the Visco fuse. There should be approximately a seven second delay from when the pin is first pulled to when the fuse burns to the open end of the fuse assembly however this will vary depending on the burn rate of Visco fuse used.

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=512&stc=1
ignitor parts.jpg