View Full Version : A quick question about Armstrong's mixture. - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Minami_Sasake
posted 06-19-2001 11:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know that the "Armstrong's mixture", potassium chlorate and red phosphorus, is sensitive to friction and impact. However, how does it fare with other chemicals, say, adhesives? If I used some nail polish as a binder, would there be some sort of adverse reaction?

------------------
Day must fade to night,
Night must give in to sunrise,
I watch, silently.

~A Haiku, Minami Sasake

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-19-2001 12:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It'll almost certainly be no more sensitive. I nearly said it'd be safe to mix it with nail polish, but that'd be a complete lie. It'll just be no more dangerous.

Minami_Sasake
posted 06-19-2001 02:22 PM
Just as I thought. I figured I should ask someone who actually knew what he/she was talking about first.
Consider the following bad idea:

A glass bottle is filled with a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen/butane/propane or whatever strikes your fancy. It is then capped, and the bottom coated with a layer of Armstrong's bound with nail polish. What looks like a harmless empty bottle is actually an ameteurish attempt at an explosive! What do you think?

------------------
Day must fade to night,
Night must give in to sunrise,
I watch, silently.

~A Haiku, Minami Sasake

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 06-19-2001 02:32 PM
well you make a couple of assumptions that will get you fucked. i would not even make armstrong explosive. it is tantamount to suicide. That and if you get a succesful detonation from the mix you will not be able to set the gas inside the bottle alight anyway. even with the excess oxygen you put in the bottle. it will all be displaced so there will be no lighting of any gas.
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 06-19-2001 04:35 PM
kurt saxon lost most of his left hand fingers with armstrongs mix didn't he? if you want to know how sensitive and powerful it is safely try this:
get a box of safety matches. hold one match at a right angle to the striker and press it fairly hard. now slowly move it along the striker. it'll kinda explode slightly...far different from striking it normally. i'm not 100% shure it will work with all safety matches but it does with the shoddy ones i got from greece last year.

mark
Frequent Poster
posted 06-19-2001 06:02 PM
Matches arent armstrongs.
As for a bottle bomb, armstrongs wont work, and glass is nastie. I sugest using a plastic bottle, and for impact ignition use a 22 blank round.

Anthony
posted 06-19-2001 09:38 PM
Match heads contain sodium chlorate and the striker on safety matches contains red phosphorus - together they make armstrong's mix.
I've seen a video of someone snap their fingers with KClO4 on one and red P on the other, it gave a bright flash on contact.

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 02:43 AM
does any one know how to extract only the sodium chlorate from match heads? i have tried with boiling water and acetone, but it also comes out with the red dye from the match heads and possibly other contaminants.
Beacause matces are relatively cheap, (80 cents a packet [10 boxes, 50 matches each] where i live) then this would be a great way of extracting the chlorate, then possibly converting it to potassium chlorate. I am only woried about what else i may get out when 'extracting' this way.

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 02:04 PM
I'd be pretty sure that Armstrongs can detonate from a cap, because NaClO3 will with just vaseline, so the real question should be: Will it detonate from deflagration?

Anthony
posted 06-20-2001 05:05 PM
Soak the matches in hot water untill the heads have dissolved, filter out any crap in the solution, then cool and filter out the NaClO3 as it crystalizes out of solution.

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 05:11 PM
satanic, wouldn't it be less work to electrolise salt for a couple of days? it would be easier to do and give a much larger yield.

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 06-21-2001 02:39 AM
i asked because i thought it would be easy, but if there is an easier way, then can you post a link to the info or type it up? it would be much appreciated.
I'm sure someone has posted it somewhere, but i'm also looking for the sodium to potassium chlorate conversion. (i'm sure someone had it on their website, but i can't find it now)

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 06-21-2001 02:44 AM
well if you want to learn about the electrolosis method, go here: http://huizen.dds.nl/~wfvisser/EN/kclox_EN.html
if the iste is offline (which it sometimes is) then you can download the file from my website also

------------------
How much power will you lose if you do not know what they already know?

Explosives Archive

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 06-21-2001 03:29 PM
www.connect.to/juice is J's page, that has a procedure for converting NaClO3 to KClO3