View Full Version : filtering - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 08:46 PM
skunkdude
posted 06-22-2001 09:11 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hypotheticly speaking, if someone had read KIPE and had attempted to make sodium chlorate with HTH chlorinating granules, tried to filter it with a T-shirt and then a towl, both of which were eaten away by the solution, how would they go about filtering it?

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-22-2001 01:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
goes in MISC.
try nylon insted of cotton. its not organic. the hth is ment to break up and kill organics.

grandyOse
October 9th, 2003, 11:24 AM
I know that potassium perchlorate is much preferred over the chlorate, and that the HTH method is not well regarded here. I have a couple of questions about it, though.

1) The equation does not seem to ballance. Where does the extra oxygen come from? If some H2O2 were in the mix, would you get PERchlorate?

2) According to the CRC handbook of chem & physics, CaCl is more soluble than KClO3 at both 20 and 100C. Why would the CaCl come out of solution at boiling?

metafractal
October 10th, 2003, 10:39 AM
That method refers to Sodium Hypochlorite, not Calcium Hypochlorite as you have assumed.
In this way, the reaction blances fine: 3NaOCl + KCl -> KClO3 + 3NaCl
So it is Sodium Chloride that is filtered out, not Calcium Chloride.
Chlorates may also be made by the thermal decomposition of Calcium Hypochlorite, though.
As to adding H2O2 to the solution to yield perchlorates, I am enticed by this idea. It does not seem like it would work to me, but I cannot provide an explanation as to why. Its worth a try:
3NaOCl + KCl + H2O2 -> KClO4 + 3NaCl + H2O
Therefore, 223g NaOCl + 74.6g KCl + 34g H2O2 -> 138.6g KClO4 + 175.5g NaCl + 18g H2O
If anyone actually carries this out, they might wish to recheck those calculations, I'm quite tired.