View Full Version : Mouldable AP - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 08:51 PM
BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted 05-17-2001 11:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok some of these new topics have me thinking here. Would it be possible to make a mouldable AP putty (not a hard nc putty) that is still possible to detonate with just a fuse?
I wonder if you made a granular form of AP and NC and mixed it with... i dunno, maybe a low temp wax, or vaseline (would be kinda greasy) or hell even modeling clay or play dough. I wonder if it would still set it all off. Maybe mixing in some bp woulld help get the temp up enough.

What do you guys think?
I know it sounds wierd... and i have had a few beers... but it might have some uses.

------------------
BaDSeeD
Knowledge is the true power, ignorance will bring your demise.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-18-2001 04:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just try! And enjoy!But not after 9 coronas bier
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Arthis
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 11:34 AM
Mixing AP with vaseline is not a very good idea since AP is not very powerful and it loses some power (much) while mixed (it oxygen balance is <0).

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 07:20 AM
Yeah Ap is a to weak explosive to mix with plasticizer's,and to unstable as a main charge
But i whas experimenting these days in my dream to mix AP with oil to make tongue's(I hope i spelld that right)

I dreamed that i mixed AP with oil to form a mixture that whas a bit thicker than honey,and to that i added a powder like charcoal in order to ignite the oil better.
I smeared a bit of this stuff on the ground and in front of it i placed a broken firecracker (So it won't explode but shoot's a flame when ignited)
I lighted the fuse and when the fire cracker shooted the flame the stuff burnd very cool,but it didn't explode like AP sometimes does when ignited.

------------------
DarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1
sendtosection1@hotmail.com

eNt0n
posted 05-23-2001 06:25 PM
I had a mixture made with AP, Ammonium nitrate, oil, gelantine (spelling??) and styrofoam dissolved in acetone. A very bad idea. It became very smelly, and did not explode, just burned a little bit. Placed in a pipe with detonator ´caused full explosion.

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 05-24-2001 05:26 AM
Stange mixture it makes no sence to me to mix gelatine/styrofoam/oil to AP and AN to form an explosive.
Which proportion's did you use?
------------------
DarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1
sendtosection1@hotmail.com

eNt0n
posted 05-24-2001 06:15 AM
mmm difficult question. Just mixed t by hand,..
I think it cotained about 50gr AP 40gr AN, and about 20gr of oil/styrofoam-acetone.

Silent Steel
posted 05-24-2001 10:38 PM
Has anyone tried initiating AP putty with magnesium ribbon? I realize that Mg ribbon is hard to come by, but it may be a good way to detonate moldable AP putty if you find a good binder. (Since Mg burns with such intensity, the heat instantly causes the AP to detonate.)
(so you actually think extreme heat is what causes high explosives to detonate?, uh, no.
and to burn Mg near AP is extremly hazardous AP is VERY sensitive to thermal decomisition, so much that it's own heat from a lit part of AP causes the rest to go, this is called deflagration, there isnt a safe way I can see to mix AP with any oxd. metal anyways. Added by PYRO500)

[This message has been edited by PYRO500 (edited May 24, 2001).]

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 05-24-2001 10:47 PM
well i am sure a fuse imbedded way into the composition would have no problem igniting the AP. all you need is one crystal to explode and you are all set.
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

PYRO500
posted 05-24-2001 11:10 PM
oh yeah and to make ap detonate you must have a Deflagration to Detonation transformation or a strong shock, but seeing as ap is a primary anyways there is no need for the latter, all that is needed is a casing for the ap, be that case a paper tube or some dissolved styrofoam.
oil probably does not contain the blast enough to cause the rest to detonate, it could be possible to over-saturate some flammable liquid with ap so it is thick yet pourable so that it can be put into tight spaces safely and due to the fact that fluids don't compress you could do major damage to a small enclosed space with a mixture like that. I plan on experimenting with that concept durring summer vacation (starts after tomorrow) wohoo!)

Arthis
Frequent Poster
posted 05-25-2001 11:29 AM
I tried to mix AP with vaseline to make a sort of plastic, but it needs too much vaseline, and as a result it doesn't detonate, just deflagrate with a bit power. Not a very good idea, since AP is not powerful...

Silent Steel
posted 05-25-2001 11:47 AM
Pyro, I didn't say that heat causes high explosives to detonate. In the case of AP putty (styrofoam type), the Mg ribbon creates an almost instant transition from deflagration to detonation. I've set off AP putty w/ Mg ribbon before, and it works fine, even though it may be dangerous.
On one occasion the putty was ignited by a regular flame, and this caused rapid deflagration, and no explosion.

Anthony
posted 05-25-2001 02:58 PM
Mg ribbon is not a fuse - it will go out if try to make it burn in an enclosed space.

Silent Steel
posted 05-26-2001 12:35 PM
I know that. The way I used it, the Mg ribbon was inserted into the putty before it hardened, resulting in a ball of AP putty with the ribbon sticking out of it.
When ignited, the ribbon would burn, and in the process soften the Mg directly under the part that was lit. This would cause the ribbon to keep folding down as it burned towards the putty, giving a predictable delay.
Although this was used for experimental purposes, it can be adapted for practical use.

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted 05-26-2001 04:04 PM
What's the point!?
I can think of plenty of better uses for Mg (making it into powder, for example). A fuse is all that is needed, and it's more reliable and predictable

Silent Steel
posted 05-26-2001 06:45 PM
The point is that I had a lot of it, and I needed something to set my AP putty off with.
Thats all.

Anthony
posted 05-26-2001 08:08 PM
Well fair enough, but was it really worth posting about?

Silent Steel
posted 05-27-2001 12:48 PM
I suggested it as another means to set off AP putty, and the post went way off topic from there.
(Get it back on topic everyone and don't make me use the delete function)

[This message has been edited by PYRO500 (edited May 27, 2001).]

Ezikiel
Frequent Poster
posted 06-02-2001 01:13 AM
Hello people !!!!!
I have mixed AP with different stuff and with oils or other heavy HC's I usually get a pretty big fire cloud but no explosion (I haven't tried confining the mixture yet). Well mixing AP with rubber cement gives some really intereasting results. I there is an excess of cement (after the cement has dried out and u get a hard mass) u still would get a fire cloud on ignition with a flame or a fuse etc. But If the propotion is just right then the hardened mass blows up (really well). So one could make the mixture ... mould it in anyway desired like figurines (spelling) or something with decorations and paints etc with a fuse sticking out as if it were a wick of a candle.