View Full Version : AP crystals forming? - Archive File

megalomania
June 17th, 2003, 08:53 PM
blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 06-01-2001 05:45 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry that I haven't posted in a while, it's just that I have exams, and I've been revising.
At my school, in the design technology workshops, we have these massive cupboards with tons of yummy solvents inside, and while I was "working", I found tons of bottles of benzoyl peroxide, 5% concentration. I have seen other bottles of above 5% concentration, but I wasn't interested in them. Among otherr goodies, I found these fucking enourmous bottles of acetone. They must have like 10 gallons of acetone in them.

Anyway, on these bottles of acetone, around the lids of the bottles, loads of crystals have formed. Tons of them! they are all clustered around the lids.

Is it AP?

Hmm, could other solvents in the cupboard have mixed with the acetone, and formed some other wierd peroxides?

By the way, what is a "peroxide reducer"? On the back of benzoyl peroxide bottles, it says "do not mix with peroxide-reducers" or something like that.

All help is appreciated, and I am sorry if this is a shit topic.

[This message has been edited by blackadder (edited June 03, 2001).]

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 06-12-2001 03:07 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you would reduce the contain of peroxyde of your peroxyde you would mix it with a reducer indeed-stupid thing to do of course with a drum of chemically pure or high concentrate peroxyde bought for a certain purpose (peroxydation, epoxydation. polymer catalyst,..)!Usually those reducers are used in solvant when you don't want to blow yourself while distilling them!
Since a peroxyde is a strong oxydant, you might expect that a reducer will react with it to neutralise it...simple question of good sense!