View Full Version : peroxides and metals? - Archive File

megalomania
June 18th, 2003, 03:44 PM
young chemist
posted 06-25-2001 01:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know there has been discussions on this before and I know that HMTD is definetly not compatable with any metals use straws to keep contact with metal when making caps. But I heard that AP is compatable with metals like copper aluminum, and brass is this true? (Or should I use straws to prevent contact also and if so would AP eat the plastic because of the acetone.)

young chemist
posted 06-25-2001 02:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never mind I think I found the answer I was looking for. But feel free to reply if you have anything to add.

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 06-25-2001 02:30 PM
I dont think there should be any acetone in the AP if you washed it well.

SafetyLast
Frequent Poster
posted 06-25-2001 03:13 PM
Dont you mean acid? Acetone gets along fine with metals, its the acid catalyst that attacks the metals and corrodes them.
try bicarbonate neutralization.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-25-2001 04:47 PM
He said the acetone might attack the plastic straw.

Anthony
posted 06-25-2001 06:50 PM
I'm assumbing that any free acetone would come out at the washing stage?
AP *should* be ok with metals but it's worth taking preventative measurees like straws, coating with varnish etc juts in case.

A goopy straw is better than an accidential detonation!