View Full Version : Smoke Grenade manufaturer (United States) - Archive File

megalomania
June 18th, 2003, 03:57 PM
nbk2000
posted 06-28-2001 08:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As anyone who's looked around the net for smoke grenades has discovered, they all seem to come from the same source. Well, here's the source: http://www.evhill.com/products/products.htm
It's a lot cheaper to buy a dozen for $60 than 1 for $9.

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Go here to download the NBK2000 videos.

Mexican Pizza
posted 06-28-2001 08:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I looked there too, but I must have misread or something because I read that a smoke gernade was $21.95 /ea. Thats pretty damn expensive if you ask me...

nbk2000
posted 06-28-2001 09:37 PM
Depends on what you're looking at. The 120,000 CFT "grenades" are $25. But that's the going price and still cheaper than other sites that charge $35 for the same thing. I was referring to the smoke "candle" types of 40,000 CFT.
------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Go here to download the NBK2000 videos.

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 06-29-2001 01:55 AM
It seems a bit pricy still but seems like if you buy a dozen of the 30second and take em apart you could find out what is in it.

ossassin
June 24th, 2003, 06:02 PM
What size is the standard-issue smoke grenade for the militlary? That's probably the best one to use.

Also, can an old military smoke grenade be refilled and reused?

Arkangel
June 24th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Odd that you should ask that:)

I happen to have a smoke grenade on my desk with that in mind; Grenade Hand Smoke Screening Training L83A1......REAL screening grenades tend to be WP

It's about the same volume as a coke can, has a single vent hole in the base. The container is sealed at the bottom like a food can, and the fly-off lever mechanism is screwed into the top end.

The only way to refill it would be to cut the base out with a can opener, and then remove whatever's inside, replacing it with your smoke comp. (Saltpetre and sugar would almost certainly melt this whole container - you'd need to find a cooler comp to re-use it a second time) You'd then have to tape the base back on, or ideally crimp a new metal base on. If you know anyone that does home canning for food then you might be able to do that.

Re-setting the flyoff igniter mechanism is relatively easy if you can get hold of shotgun primers. Unscrew the whole mechanism, then bend the striker arm back and secure it with a grenade pin. Next, knock the primer out from below, and carefully press a new one in (or something you improvised). Then you'll have to put a primer comp of some kind in the space below the primer mechanism, before screwing the whole thing back on. If you've saved the flyoff lever then replace it now, but whilst it's still vulnerable, make sure you keep a spatula (the stirrers I steal from Starbucks every time I pay 'em a visit) in between the primer and the striker. You can withdraw it as you finally pin the lever in place.

Does that lot make sense?

ossassin
November 24th, 2003, 01:42 AM
I'm sorry that it took me so long to come back to this thread. I didn't see your question last time. Yes, it makes sense, and I'll be sure to try it.

PyroNitrate
November 24th, 2003, 01:36 PM
www.pyrotek.org has smoke grenades directally from the Armed Forces in stock.

Have a variety of diffrent colors..

I have tried theys they burn for 4 minutes and produces a hell of alot of smoke.
all which is can not be seen through.

Arkangel
November 24th, 2003, 03:33 PM
True, but this is an improvised weapons forum, so that kinda takes the fun out of it doesn't it:p

Having said that, this is a thread about manufactured ones, so I should quit bitching. There is something wonderful about setting light to an expensive bit of professionally built pyro

Macgyver
November 24th, 2003, 06:19 PM
On the site they say that the smoke contains Zinc Chloride, so I think this sounds like the good 'ole recipe based on Zinc/Hexachloroethane/Zinc Oxide..... (Is possible to omit Zinc and use just HCE + ZnO, but then it's a bastard to get to ignite, but once it burns it burns....).

They also state that they're for outdoor use only, which is another reason I think this is the composition used.

ZnO 47%
HexaChloroEthane 47%
Al 6% (German dark or similar mesh size).

Often primed with a small amount of Zinc powder and HCE 50/50, because otherwise it's really hard to ignite.

They could also be using Zn/HCE 50/50, but that mixture tend to self-ignite if you're unlucky.

One formula that was used in the military NB39 smoke grenades was this:

Zn 37.4%
Mg 1.85%
ZnO 14.3 %
HCE 46.2%