View Full Version : would this work to get hydrochloric acid - Archive File

megalomania
June 18th, 2003, 04:03 PM
phyrelord
Frequent Poster
posted 05-09-2001 10:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you put hook two electrodes up to two different chambers that were connected by a pipe and seperated the water into hydrogen and oxygen (I forget the term for this, too many bong hits) Then run the hydrogen side out to another container filled with chlorine granuals, when exposed to light they react with each other to form HCL mix this with water and voila. I don't know the ratio of water to HCL any help is appreciated. Any comments are welcome

------------------
Winseln Sie für mich

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 05-09-2001 11:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i dont know if this would work exactly. i am also curious to know why you can't just buy the shit. it is easy to find. but hey, sometimes we need to improvise. I think if you dumped granular "Cl" into water it would stay in the form of Cl2 and thus unabvle to react with the hydrogen gas that got bubbled through the containter. I am sketchy on how the Cl2 would act though, when put in water. does anyone know if it would dissolve or any way break up into ions?
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

phyrelord
Frequent Poster
posted 05-10-2001 04:16 PM
the Cl will bond with the H as long as there is light present. The weak single covalent bond will break up with the addition of energy and all that's needed is that of light. and the Cl would not be in the same container as the water but in a different one and the Hydrogen would be vented over to it. The reason I would do this is Cl is less conspicuous than hydrochloric acid so it would be more difficult for the piggies to track it to you
------------------
Winseln Sie für mich

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 05-10-2001 05:15 PM
The word your looking for is electrolysis. It produces H2 quite slowly. You might also be interested in this:
2NaCl + 2H2O >>elec.>> 2NaOH + H2 + Cl2
Saltwater electrolysed produces equal amounts of chlorine and hydrogen, which i suppose could react according to
H2 + Cl2 >>>> 2HCl
Oh by the way, watch what you use for electrodes. Read my 'Ammonium hydroxide/various sulfates/nitrates' post way way down in misc to see what im talking about.

ftsman
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 10:34 PM
just buy some

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 11:52 AM
A solution for cleaning stonework/brick etc. is very common in DIY/hardwear stores. You can get concs. between 10% and 30% (38% is about the most concentrated HCl you can get), and 2L costs a few pounds.

PYRO500
posted 05-23-2001 03:27 PM
HELL! I get my HCL for .38$! at home depot

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 07:07 PM
Pyro what is the name that you buy it under?

PYRO500
posted 05-23-2001 07:50 PM
itm is smart brand and the name is PYRO500!

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 05-24-2001 05:27 PM
Is there any chance of me getting the real name of the brand and product? PLZ PLZ PLZ im begging you i baught this toilet bowl cleaner shit that said contains HCL but when I had my dream of making ap it didnt work and I had pure acitone and the 3% peroxide.

Anthony
posted 05-25-2001 03:07 PM
To save PYRO500 repeating himself, It is "smart" brand! And his name is "PYRO500" not "pyro" which is what you called him.

Lem
posted 05-26-2001 01:04 AM
If you are trying to generate HCL gas, why not just drip H2S04 on to a sat. NaCl sol.
http://rhodium.lycaeum.org/chemistry/hcl-gas.txt

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-09-2001 05:52 PM
Distil H2SO4 (98 grams) with NaCl (117 grams), and bubble the gas (73 grams) through HCl solution until it fumes strongly. This works well.

Foodos
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 08:04 PM
One brand name that is even available at Fred Meyers (for christs sake, its not hard to find) is Muriatic Acid. The one I have seen is 31.6%

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 08:26 PM
the HCl(a) here is also Muriatic, and has a concentration of 32.25%. You can find it at lowes

vulture
June 18th, 2003, 04:23 PM
I would not advise reacting CL2 + H2 in the presence of light. This is radical reaction which means it can become explosive very quickly. The sunlight generates the necessary radical and once you've got one you start a chain reaction.

metafractal
June 20th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Just bubble Cl2 gas through water to get a weak HCl solution. Then boil to this solution to concentrate (H2O: B.P. = 100*C, HCl: B.P. = 230*C therefore water will boil off first till ~32% HCl when it forms an azeotropic mixture with water). Much easier than this messy method :).

yt2095
June 20th, 2003, 11:44 AM
metalfractal,

forgive me if i`m wrong, but i though bubbling Cl through water gave Chloric acid? (HOCl) or does the further heating then convert it to Hydrochloric acid?

and yes i know i shouldn`t be asking questions this early on with my current new status, but it maybe helpfull to others if i`m corrected in my thinking

all the best :)

vulture
June 20th, 2003, 12:25 PM
You are correct.

Cl2 in water will form HOCl upon exposure to light.

Cl2 + H2O ---> HOCl + HCl

However, when heated, the hypochloric acid will decompose:

2HOCl ---> 2HCl + O2

Still, yields are going to be bad as effectively dissolving the chlorine gas in water is not only difficult, but also dangerous.

Metafractal, the boiling point of HCl that you stated is way too high, considering that pure HCl is a gas under standard conditions.

EDIT: It has just come to my mind that boiling HOCl will probably produce some HClO3. However, this only happens when heating very slowly, normal boiling will favor direct decomposition of the HOCl IIRC.

knowledgehungry
June 20th, 2003, 12:44 PM
You would have to boil off the HCl out of the solution and then bubble the HCl gas through water until the water could acccept no more.