View Full Version : What brand to buy? - Archive File

megalomania
June 18th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Mexican Pizza
posted 05-29-2001 09:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all, I was just wondering what brands of chems to buy for flash powder. I will be ordering from pyrotek
http://www.pyrotek.org
and will be using Potassium Perchloride and Alumnium Powder. I was just wondering what brand of chems works best. Also, I am on a slight budget so I was wondering if the Potassium Perchloride listed under the
"chemical specials" section of that site as military grade ultra pure will work? Please give me your input on this topic as I need help! And also what ratio for those chemicals do you recommend? I heard a 2:1 ratio of Potassium Perchloride to Alumnium Powder, but that just seems all to easy to me Thank you

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted 05-29-2001 10:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*He means Perchlorate
And he is preety KeWL, and the optimum ratio is PerChlorate/Aluminum 70:30,
-and if you ask anymore questions that can be easily answered with a simple search i will eat your first born child

[This message has been edited by endotherm (edited May 29, 2001).]

Mexican Pizza
posted 05-30-2001 03:35 PM
I'm glad that I made a good first impression!!
I have did a search and only found that certian types of aluminum powder didn't work. I just want to make sure that I buy the correct type to chems the first time so I don't get stuck with something that I'll never use.

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted 05-30-2001 08:07 PM
Kewl doesn't mean cool, it means something bad, but all you have to know is that before posting, do research, make sure your question is relevant, and that it has not been answered before, us members here at the forum get very frustrated when people ask questions that have already been answered. Being KeWL is basically being a newbie who is not very intelligent and has a lot of dumb ideas, but we were all KeWL at one time,you have to learn sometime, just watch it and make sure you dont ask stupid questions or questions that can be easily answered with research, or a search of the Forum.

Mexican Pizza
posted 05-30-2001 10:00 PM
okay, I understand. Thanks for the advice man! peace out

Teck
Frequent Poster
posted 05-30-2001 10:02 PM
Go search and type in flash powder and you will get alot of hits, its just being computer literate. Iv accidently order American Dark #400 Spherical and its shit. Doesnt work unless you mix it with S/Al/KCLO4 and even then its not as good as using German Dark #600 and it really doesnt matter wich perchlorate you get to me it seems their all the same.

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 05-30-2001 10:13 PM
you want potasium perchlorate, it is not as hydroscopic as the sodium based ones. KCLO4 and the german dark Al. You should be all set to make the flash with that.
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

[This message has been edited by CragHack (edited May 30, 2001).]

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 05-31-2001 02:14 AM
Make sure the Al is FLAKE, get about 400 mesh as well.

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 05-31-2001 02:50 PM
well the german dark (if i am not mistaken) isflake AND is 600 mesh to boot.
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted 05-31-2001 03:00 PM
600 mesh flake! Shit, that is such an optimum size, that it might even be too reactive!

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted 06-01-2001 02:06 AM
Thier 425 mesh bright flake works well,but if you got the bucks,spring for the german 600 mesh.
Btw,pyrotek's prices are kinda steep;Firefox's price for the 425 mesh flake is 4 dollars cheaper,and they sell 2 micron blackhead (twice as fine as the 600 mesh) for $19.50 a lb.

Teck
Frequent Poster
posted 06-01-2001 02:22 AM
Shit, blackhead is twice as fine as 600 mesh?? Has anyone tried making flash powder with that? and what were the results?