View Full Version : Button cell battery ignitor.

Observer
June 19th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Clear

Tuatara
June 19th, 2003, 06:19 PM
You would probably get better results if the ignition mix is in intimate contact with the filament. This will maximise heat transfer before the filament gets hot enough to burn away. Your NC laquer idea sounds good, possibly you could use several coats to get some thickness. Maybe a mix of NC laquer with powdered match heads?

Observer
June 19th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Clear

yt2095
June 20th, 2003, 08:55 AM
another low voltage ignitor (bewae though, static can set them off!) are the old flash cubes or flash blocks.
disassemble the casing and remove the bulbs each has 2 wires attatched, you dont want the sort that has a tiny black stick at the base, those are precusion sensitive only)
each buld has a bluish plastic coating, that to stop the buld exploding when it fires (it`s extremely hot!)
you need to remove this plastic, a sharp knife and a trist will do this easily, all you have to do now is extend the wires and coat the bulb in whatever composition is appropriate for the explosive your using.
your NC and acetone laquer`s a great idea too!

i don`t think you can buy these flash bulbs from supermarkets anymore, but a camera shop will have plenty :)

Anthony
June 20th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Observer, why have you created a new thread and then removed your posts from it?

kingspaz
June 20th, 2003, 05:27 PM
observer this thread is now meaningless thanks to you. don't post info if you don't intend to keep it up for atleast a little time for people to read.

nbk2000
June 20th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Jesus christ...couldn't even wait one whole fucking day! :mad:

Selfish, greedy, kike motherfuckers who think that somehow what they've got to say is SO fucking important that it mustn't be allowed to exist for others to see, lest they somehow despoil it by knowing it too.

Of course, this is only after it's been flaunted so everyone else can see just how WONDERFUL they were for thinking of it in the first place. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of someone else who does/did this sort of thing.

Instant ban for this selfish bastard!

nbk2000
June 21st, 2003, 06:47 AM
Tiny squibs made from christmas lights and set off by watch batteries, complete with lots of pictures.

Surely someone saved a copy of it, or has it in their browser cache?

nbk2000
June 21st, 2003, 11:06 PM
Well, whatever it was, the point is that the selfish bastard deleted it all to keep anyone else from benefiting from it once he had his answer. :mad:

DBSP
June 22nd, 2003, 04:34 PM
Actually he deleted his posts because he got fed up with this place and not because he is a selfish bastard. And if you don't remember who observer is I can give you a hinch, his name starts with xoo and ends with 1246. Not that you give a fuck about it off course.

But it's not the first Sr. member that gets fed up with this place...

kingspaz
June 22nd, 2003, 04:39 PM
what was he fed up with?

nbk2000
June 22nd, 2003, 10:49 PM
what was he fed up with?

Who cares.

Not that you give a fuck about it of course.

You're right, because he brought it on himself. We don't owe anyone anything. If they don't like it here, they are free to leave. Just like we are free to be rid of them. :)

Considering how we're gaining 50+ people a week, and assuming only one in a hundred is anything extraordinary, then we're gaining 26 extraordinary people a year. So the lose of a couple of extraordinary people here and there per year really doesn't affect us in the least because we're gaining many more than we're losing. :D

Also, if someone doesn't like it here, yet has spent the time and effort to establish themselves as a respected member, then why sign up as a newbie, act like an asshole, then bitch about getting banned which is the inevitable fate of an asshole newbie, as any senior member knows? :confused:

If a respected member has a complaint about something going on here, then they can tell it to staff, either publicly by posting a new topic, or privately via e-mail to staff. Believe it or not, we actually do listen to people who are worth listening to. The fact that he decided to renounce his status as a senior member by starting over as a newbie does not exempt him from the standards that have always been applied to newbies, especially be being "incognito" and not telling any staff about it.

I'm know of several senior members, and former mods even, who started over with new names, but they told us (staff) about their new usernames, and behaved as senior members should, so they've had no problems.

If you feel disenchanted with the Forum as well, then please feel free to leave at any time. This is a strictly voluntary association. We don't want people who are going to be bringing a negative attitude to poison us with their negativity too.

If you or he feel that you can do better than here, go for it. Start your own forum, run your own website, and run the site how you see fit. And after a few years, tell us how you feel when some unappreciative bastards says that you don't know what you're doing, and that they're fed up with your place. :p You'll probably feel rather pissed at them...rather like how I feel right now about him and you.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that NO one here is indispensible, with the exception of mega (of course). If someone here has authority over others, it's because they've EARNED it, over years of service towards the forum, and repeatedly demonstrating that they can be trusted to use this authority to the benefit of the Forum. If a few people get a prima donna attitude and some delusional belief that the Forum will collapse without their God-like wisdom being bestowed upon the rest of us, and proceed to get all pissy when they're proven wrong...:rolleyes:

DBSP
June 23rd, 2003, 07:13 AM
I don't know exactly what he got fed up with, he never told me that allthough he has complained about the forum in general the last months.

He didn't sign up again because he wanted to do so, his account got fucked up and he was unable to login/post or do anything.

He did actually tell us all that he had changed his nick just after he did it.

And please don't think that I would like to start my own forum. Making a better one is impossible, there are simply no other people who would be able to scrap a new forum up (except if the elite from this forum would join to make a new forum together).

However this place isn't quite what it used to be, I can't say why but thats just how it is.

There just doesn't seem to be any people who are willing to actually help eachother anymore to actually accomplish something real. Like it used to be with the trinade project for instance.

I belive that we have enaugh knowledge in this forum to actually be able to make a fully functional EFP or SC for instance. But there seemes to be little interest in actually accomplishing that.

Scince you brought the rotational casting idea up I've made a mould and somewhat succesfully cast an SC cone (http://w1.478.telia.com/~u47804009/kon) , its far from perfect but definately a step in the right direction. And I'm about to make a second mold of a slight different construction to make it a bit better.

Thus I have come a step closer to actually accomplishing something, however from my own experiense there would be very little interest from other members to try to replicate my tests or make it better, why put any effort in that when we can discuss "National Vegan Day" or other similar important things that happen in the world of explosive science?

There are off course exceptions but unfortunately they arent to many.

kingspaz
June 23rd, 2003, 08:22 AM
DBSP, thats a nice cone you got there. keep up the good work. i should have some time this summer and cash this summer so expect some attempts at various things.

i do agree that there doesn't seem to be the same spirit here anymore. come on people, lets see some technological advances!

'Believe it or not, we actually do listen to people who are worth listening to.'. nbk, i agree. if any senior members have a problem with the forum they should get in contact with the staff. then if the problem is fixable we well fix it. if people have a problem then just leave instead of even trying to sort it out then it gets nobody anywhere. the forum will still have the same problem and the member will not have the forum.

Anthony
June 23rd, 2003, 04:09 PM
There will always be flucuations in the kind and extent of activity here...

Don't forget that theforum is still elvolving. It probably isn't much past childhood in terms of its potential development.

I for one have loads of projects I'd like to try, but unfortunately before I lacked the money and now I lack the time :(

nbk2000
June 23rd, 2003, 06:40 PM
Is it aluminum or zinc? I see the batteries in one picture, are they for scale or the source of the metal used? But it also looks like one of the cones is made from aluminium foil.

How did you get the concave shape? By pressing the (glass?) cone into the molten metal in the mold?

Anyhows, it looks like a good start. However, the cones have obvious voids in them, presumable air bunnles or imperfections in the mold, that would be detrimental to performance. But it beats the present lack of liners, so it's all good. :)

I belive that we have enaugh knowledge in this forum to actually be able to make a fully functional EFP or SC for instance. But there seemes to be little interest in actually accomplishing that.

I know I do. And the only thing holding my progress in accomplishing this is the lack of funds. It's hard to divert money into EFP experimentation when you're living in poverty. The only reason I'm even on the net is 'cause I'd go crazy without the limited social interaction I get through the Forum, which is $20/month I could be better using for food.

If I ever won the lottery, you wouldn't be seeing me here as often, because I'd be out all day blowing shit up in my (7,000 acre) backyard or cooking stuff up in my lab! :D

Though I'd appear ocassionally to post some new article on the construction of some device, complete with streaming video tutorials from my private server.

PRAY I win the powerball lotto. It's now 110 million. :eek: I'll keep playing it till someone wins it. I'm not a gambler myself, but I figure the expense of $2/week for the chance to win such a huge amount of money (or a portion of) is worth it. I only play when it gets over 80mil (which is rare) so I'm only risking maybe $20/year.

Even winning the $100,000 prize (1:500,000) would be an astronomical change in lifestyle for me, meaning a whole lot of experimentation.

Of course, I'm not putting my faith in winning it, since it's such a long shot chance at huge money (1:125,000,000). I'm still working on financial improvement through more modest and realistic means, ie. crime.

I'm afraid that most of our members are in the bind of either living at home (meaning no privacy) or living on their own (no finances). It's the rare member who has both the privacy and finances to be able to experiment.

I've occasionally had the finances, but that was when I didn't have the privacy. Now I have neither privacy (sharing a house) nor finances (shitty part-time job), so I can't do much more than theorize at the moment.

How about you DBSP? Do you still live at home, but have parents who don't mind, and have a disposable income (allowance)? Make the most of it while you can. If you've got your own place, and have a job that makes you enough to be able to experiment, than I envy you.

Kid Orgo
June 24th, 2003, 12:45 AM
The National Vegan Day thread is in the Water Cooler. It's there for a reason.

Any explosive ideas or helpful contributions I have are posted elsewhere. I'm 100% dedicated to organic chem. I'm sure others share my view.

As for privacy and finances, i'm a college student. That means I have no privacy AND no finances. But plenty of time to learn, and some good reasources. (Chem lab, anyone?)

DBSP
June 24th, 2003, 09:27 AM
I'll start a new thread about the cones soon so I won't explain it all now. I made a nother mould yeasterday, worked reasonably but there still are problems with it.
The cones are lead btw, just for the ease of the low MP of it.

The batterys simply happened to be there, they serve no purpose.

I'm one of the ones fortunate enaugh to have both a mother who knows I can handle these things and therefore lets me do it and a really nice large house to make things in. + the fact that I there aren't really many who live around here except the 200 in the vilage I live in. If they hear a bang they'd probably assume that someone is out hunting (during hunting season of cource) or that someone (me) is out shooting clay pigeons which I often do.

I have however become more and more carefull and I mostly detonate my charges under water to keep the nois down just in case.

E&W isn't my main intersest either really but still a very heavily rooted one. I'm a hunter and have always been one. This is what most of my time goes to. I'm out hunting more or less every day from the 16 of august to the last of february. And in between I'm out investigating what anmimals there are and where they are.

The downside of hunting, at least where I live it's very expensive hunting. My best friend and I had a little barbecue and had a couple of beers the other night and we started counting how much money we have spent the last 3 years on hunting, including: weapons, money to pay for the right to hunt ammo etc. and we came to the conclution that we had spent about 6000$ each and thats 3 years!! I have to pay 460$ by to morrow for the hunting rights, that sucks.

So you see if I hadn't been a hunter I would have had quite a lot of money to put into my explosives. I was very close to have lost my hunting area this year and if I had lost it I would have had more money but now I don't so...thats just the way it is.

Now, it may seem like I'm a rich bastard but thats far from the truth. I'm a student and don't get much money. My mother have been on sick leave for more than two years now so she doesn't have much money. She used to be a teacher untill her occupation broke her down so hard that she couldn't work anymore.

The reason I've got the money to hunt is that I'm a hard working boy. I work as much as I can and whenever I get an opportunity to do so.

Btw I don't think that you understood my writings Kid Orgo, no matter in which section the "The National Vegan Day" thread is posted in it still hasn't got anything to do with E&W, thus it doesn't belong in this forum. The reason this forum is called the Explosives and Weapons forum is that it is about explosives and weapons and not a bout vegans, end of discussion.