View Full Version : Is my acid good enough for RDX? - Archive File

megalomania
June 19th, 2003, 10:47 PM
stanfield
Frequent Poster
posted 06-02-2001 02:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I produce my own nitric acid by distilling NaNO3 and H2SO4 but I would like to know if the nitric acid I get is ready for RDX synthesis ?
thanx

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 06-02-2001 02:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For RDX synthesis, you must use very pure nitric acid, it also has to be of high concentration. You can check it with an Hydrometer to see if it has the correct specific gravity.

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 06-02-2001 02:33 AM
Oh, I forgot. If you haven't got experience in chemistry, specially nitrations, this can be a tricky one, with very poor yields, it looks simple, but you have to use good techniques.

stanfield
Frequent Poster
posted 06-02-2001 04:20 AM
thanx !
And you, what are the "good techniques" you are using ?

yt2095
June 21st, 2003, 08:37 AM
stanfeild,

i also use the same method, NaNO3 and conc H2SO4 (98%)
but after my 1`st distilation, i add half as much again of H2SO4 to my distilate and re-distil it. it may seem like a waste of good sulphuric but i re-use it with my next batch of NaNO3 crystals and just keep this proccess going for 2 or 3 cycles.
even the "waste product" NaHSO4 is useful afterwards.
i end up with a Nitric acid that fumes when the bottle is opened. it`s percentage i don`t know as i have no hydrometer and only ever make small amounts enough to fill a 50ml brown glass bottle at a time.
as for it`s RDX worthyness, i have no idea, it`s not a synth i`ve tried. But it makes fantastic gun cotton, and metal nirates that i crystalise for use in color stars.
try the 2`nd distillation with added H2SO4, you may get a better product :)

all the best!

vulture
June 21st, 2003, 11:41 AM
Anybody ever used magnesiumnitrate when distilling? This process is being used in the industry.
An advantage I see is that magnesiumnitrate is easier and safer to recycle than diluted sulfuric acid.

and metal nirates that i crystalise for use in color stars.

What a waste! 40% HNO3 with carbonates works like a charm for producing nitrates! No need to waste conc HNO3...:(