View Full Version : polyisobutylene question - Archive File

megalomania
June 20th, 2003, 01:58 PM
stanfield
Frequent Poster
posted 06-18-2001 02:42 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to make C-4...
so, I need polyisobutylene and I found a company on the web who wants to sell me this product but they ask me :
"We can supply and server the polyisobutylene to you.
Pls. give inform the more detailed infomation as like as viscosity, molecular weight and etc."
what can I answer to them ?

any reply are more than appreciated.

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-18-2001 04:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what eles is polyisobutylene known as?

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 06-18-2001 04:38 PM
you could say its for an experiment at home but you can't tell them what it is as you fear other people will copy it. you could say you intend to make alot of money from your invention. that should get the idea across that you can't say what its for. ask what viscositys and molecular weights they supply then take your pick.... you should wait for more replies because i don't wanna get you into trouble. i guess you'd want a low molecular weight....just a minute....would that decrease density or not? what i was going to say before i realised thats not what density depends on is that the lighter the material the more sensitive your C4 will be which would be a good thing i think.

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 02:01 PM
You want a 'medium' molecular weight. (whatever that might be, I don't know the properties of PIB all that well, I just remember seeing it somewhere).

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 03:31 PM
I think I remember hearing that 10000 centistokes was what you need, but I'm not sure (that's viscosity).

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 04:31 PM
Wasn't it 1000 centistrokes & silikone oil or something in KIPE I or II?
Here's a link to a company that produces PIB (polyisobutylene), there are three links at the bottom of the page for three different kinds of PIB. Low-, mid- and high-molecular, there are values given vor viscosity as well as molecularmass! Should help you...

http://www.kautschukgesellschaft.de/efremov/pib.htm

------------------
for best catfood visit:
kangaroooo.cjb.net

stanfield
Frequent Poster
posted 06-21-2001 02:32 AM
a big thanx !

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-22-2001 01:36 PM
Im ordered from ENASCO.com and a week later a lady called from the place to see if the card was mine and to see what i needed them for(i have to fax in reasons) anyway i Need BULL SHIT for theses 2>
H2O2
KNO3
Multiple reasons would be helpful. thanks!

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-22-2001 02:24 PM
ill give it some more time but maybe i should do my own post

Anthony
posted 06-22-2001 03:36 PM
If the H2O2 is high conc, say you're studying the H2O2/catalyse reaction for a science project.
Say you need to bleach lots of people's hair for a play or something and that watering down conc H2O2 to 3% is a lot cheaper than bying loads of 3%

KNO3 - you're growing strawberries
Or since your nan wants to preserve some meat because she's old fashioned or whatever.
You're making a sugar based rocket motors for a science project (this excuse might not work).

Tony Montana
Frequent Poster
posted 06-27-2001 02:18 PM
If at all possible, Stanfeld. Acquire the catalog from the company, and have a good read of exactly who, and what they cater for. If the company is big enough you should find it on the web. Along with Material Data Safety Sheets M.S.D.S. the catalog should tell you more than enough info on it like how its synthesized, its flash point and everything in between.
If that particular company has no on-line catalog or product list, without a doubt there will be other companies on the net that sell the same chemicals, and have a catalog.
P.S. you dont have to buy from there just get what you want from there catalog.
[This message has been edited by Tony Montana (edited June 27, 2001).]

Tony Montana
Frequent Poster
posted 06-27-2001 02:38 PM
i dont usually search for other people, but I had very little info on this and was curious. And tonight, Im bored, nothing to do but watch the HMTD crystalize.
Your real question should be what specifications do the miliatry use for C-4? Anyway I did a simple search on the net and easily found the answers you so desperatly needed:
http://www.exxonmobil.com/chemical/customer/products/families/butyl/vistanex/

Thermite
February 2nd, 2004, 08:09 PM
Can i plasticize HMTD with PIB and Adipate?