View Full Version : Thermal Imaging (FLIR) - Archive File

megalomania
June 20th, 2003, 02:03 PM
frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 06:21 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hmmm, this is interesting...every sniper's worst nightmare, and it can spot out to 800 m
I notice two was sold at ebay at $5000 and up.....darn, had I known that the one cop uses.
Anybody knows where to get it cheap (at least under $5000), improvise,usw http://www.x20.org/thermal/
http://216.22.251.97/thermal-imaging-nightsight.htm (this was the one at ebay)
[This message has been edited by frostfire (edited June 20, 2001).]

A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 08:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just get a infrared black and white camera and one of those 2.5 or 3 inch handheld TVs with a video jack and presto.
------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

PYRO500
posted 06-21-2001 01:04 AM
no, they are not the same thing, the ir sensitive cameras are not really ir sensitive they are near IR sensitive, it is technically still light, you just cant see it
as for FLIR cameras 5000 bucks is a cheap one,they are insanely complex and require cryogenic cooling just to run

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-21-2001 01:14 AM
wow thats an all to reel theat to me. what are chances PDs might have these?

angelo
Frequent Poster
posted 06-21-2001 01:26 AM
alot of police helicopters have these built into the nose
------------------
if our society had shown me a path other than violence, I would have taken it.
angelo's place | have a good link? add it here | go to the OZ Forum

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-21-2001 02:03 AM
i know that but what about the cars?

PYRO500
posted 06-21-2001 02:45 AM
no, that would be very expensive and I dont think the cop cars have enough space to mount one, some new cadilacs (sp) I think came with a HUD and an automatic thermal imaging camera that let you see animals in the road, for one to work in a car it must be placed ahead of the engine to see well or else your sensor will get blinded

A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 06-21-2001 12:18 PM
PYRO500 its on the cadilac ascelade and its in the grill behind a cadilac crest.
------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

simonmagus
posted 06-21-2001 02:00 PM
i've been wanting one of those damn things for a long time but never had the $$$. I've seen some for around $3500 but i don't think they are in real time. i think that the refresh rate is low, i can't remember it's been a long time.
they do put them on cop cars but it's rare, i've seen pic..

and i think somethin' like that comes on the new hummer h2.....?????????

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 06-22-2001 04:43 AM
I've seen and looked through a very good Thermal Imaging Camera(worth about $100000 US dollars).There fucking awesome.I wish I had one.
Demolition

frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted 06-22-2001 09:01 AM
where? industrial or electrical factory???
since that the most common usage

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 06-22-2001 09:16 AM
A friend of a friend brought this one overseas.(He's got a thing for gadgets)
Demolition

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 06-22-2001 09:18 AM
Also,I noticed on the second site you mentioned that they sell Bomb Suits.

pangos_59
June 22nd, 2003, 12:23 AM
In WW2 the germans created an experimental suit with small carbon fiber threads and it reduced
ir emmissons. Hmm I'm thinking that maybe if a sniper had one of these there would be a difficult time finding them if u were a pig.

GibboNet
June 22nd, 2003, 03:01 AM
Modern army cams have a built in IR 'dampener' if that's the word.

I know for a fact that Australian army "auscams" have built in IR suppresion, but don't know about other countries. I'm assuming larger countries like the US and UK would have similar.

I think someone mentioned this in another thread, something about not washing them much to keep this effect in place.

zaibatsu
June 22nd, 2003, 08:38 AM
The problem is not hiding your IR signiture (well, not really) it's making your IR signiture the same as your surroundings.

Russian surplus anti-IR suits are available in the UK, however, they work by containing your heat, so I'm guessing you'd get pretty hot.

stickfigure
June 22nd, 2003, 09:07 AM
Our BDU uniforms work to this effect like I've stated before they have to be new and unwashed and not starched. Also the new JLIST NBC suit have carbon fiber infused into a second liner that might help to keep you IR signature low, besides keeping NBC out. On top of all that you have a layer of BDU material that is IR resistant. I'm not sure how it works that just what I am told when I get new BDU's and go to a combat area.

nbk2000
April 15th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Thermal imaging googles are now available. :)

www.nivisys.com

Look for the TAG-7 link, under "Thermal".

AA battery powered, helmet mountable, with video output and LCD eyepieces. Best of all, real and available, though don't ask for how much. :eek:

MightyQuinn®
April 15th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Check this bad boy out.....

Click on the Pit Viper.

--------------------------------------
Edit:

Here is more choice information on the subject of FLIR.

http://www.opgal.com/te_flir.htm

---------------------------------------

http://www.firstchoicearmor.com/html/pro_helm.htm#

http://www.firstchoicearmor.com/html/popups/images/helmet_1.jpg
http://www.firstchoicearmor.com/html/popups/images/helmet_text_1.gif

nbk2000
April 15th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Looks poorly integrated to me.

ossassin
February 6th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Is it legal for an American civilian to buy thermal imaging scopes (weapons sights)? I don't think I've ever seen one for sale on the internet. Even the goggles on the site that NBK pointed out don't have a listed price.

Jacks Complete
February 7th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Thant's because you are looking at over $8000 dollars for even top of the range NVG. FLIR/TI is even more, upwards of $30K. I've played with one of the high-end cameras, and it is scary. You can see your hand through a hundred pages of A4 in a few seconds, cups of water in plastic cups seem to float, as the thin plastic is invisible (even more so than glass, as there is no refractive effect!) and you can see where someone was sitting minutes ago. Weirdly, you can even see footprints in some places, due to the tiny heat transfer between the indoor shoe and the colder outdoor grass/concrete. The temperature variations are tiny, but it picks them up easily.

If you have the money, you can look through almost anything. I've seen cameras that can see through cars (see the thread on backscatter x-ray) and ones that can see radioactivity directly, telling the viewer what type of material it is doing the emitting. That camera has a remote tripod that costs £15,000 + VAT list price! The camera is £150K. I have yet to get prices on the backscatter stuff.

Millimeter wave is the next goal, which lets you see through clothes, but metal shows up brightly, ideal for spotting concealled carry without having to throw x-rays around.

ossassin, as far as I know, the USA has a federal law against letting you have an IR laser or goggles. You can buy Gen 3/3+ NVG, but not export it. Not sure about weapon sights. I think they might be LEO only. NBK will probably know.

NBK, that looks pretty state of the art to me. Last set I played with was far bigger than that, and it had the actual thermal imager attached to an aircraft, with just the semi-transparent mirrors and video displays on the actual helmet. Personally, I would rather the IR was in the gunsight, but that's just me!

ossassin
February 9th, 2005, 08:29 PM
No, I've seen Gen 3 and maybe even Gen 4 scopes for sale to civilians, so they must be legal. It's a shame that TI is outlawed in the US. Why wasn't it all over the news when they passed that law?

Jacks Complete
February 10th, 2005, 03:43 PM
ossassin, yes, you can buy it, but not export it. I don't know the status of TI. You could always build your own, of course.

pangos_59
February 13th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Osassin you still believe what the media is telling you? Tsk.tsk.tsk.www.disinfo.com (http://www.disinfo.com/site/Topic18.html)

nbk2000
February 17th, 2005, 04:26 PM
FLIR and TI are in the category of "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.". :)

'They' have no need to make it illegal, as it's SOOO expensive that anyone who could afford it is probably part of the system, thus no threat.

Once it gets down into a couple grand, then it might become illegal, as it'd be within the reach of the average criminal.

As for improvising it...erm, I doubt it...but anything possible if you're willing to dedicate the time to it. There are people building Tunnel Scanning Electron Microscopes out of Radio-Shack type parts for a few hundred dollars, duplicating $100K machines (in principle, NOT performance!). :D

megalomania
February 17th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Anyone who wants an expensive FLIR device can check out dovebid.com There is an upcoming auction for a FLIR camera.

I almost bought a Kodak 14n 14 megapixel camera last week, but they auctioned 2 cameras in the same damn lot. They went for $2200 for the both of them. That's a great price for 1 let alone 2 :( I didn't know at the time, but I could have auctioned 1 off at ebay for $2500 and got the other scott free.