View Full Version : Safe to use "blender" to crush up TNT

radar
May 23rd, 2002, 06:45 PM
In my dream a few months ago I dreamt that I put the washed dry tnt pieces into a blender to crush them up very fine so it would be cap sensitive. Since I plan on dreaming about making tnt again I was wondering if this is a safe way to crush it?

Madog555
May 23rd, 2002, 07:14 PM
yeah, that sounds fine. TNT is not sensitive. especialy to friction and the like.

if u want to be safer use a little water. i dont think its necisary though.

DO NOT DO THIS WITH RDX OR PETN!!!!!

ALENGOSVIG1
May 23rd, 2002, 07:42 PM
A blender or coffee grinder will be fine. Personally, I grind my HE's with a mortal and pestle becuase using a blender or coffee grinder is too hard on my nerves. Especially after I had about 70 grams of bp ignite in my coffee grinder.

Mr Cool
May 24th, 2002, 06:55 AM
It'd be even safer, and give a more sensitive product, to recrystalise it from toluene or some other solvent. Big crystals are generally the most sensitive form for HE's, especially if the crystals intersect each other in grains consisting of many crystals.

radar
May 24th, 2002, 09:10 AM
How would you reccomend that I recrystallize the TNT? In other words, what ratio of solvent to TNT should i use (toluene?) Do I lightly heat the solvent, add the TNT then cool the whole mixture making the TNT crystallize out? Thanks.

Mr Cool
May 24th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Yeah, just dissolve as much TNT as you can in a few hundred ml of hot toluene, chill it as cold as you can, and filter out the crystals. Or, if acetone will dissolve TNT (I think it can, I can't remember), you could maybe ppte TNT from a solution in acetone by dumping it into cold water. But I think it might for two immiscible layers.

Pu239 Stuchtiger
May 24th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Trinitrotoluene is soluble in alcohol...