View Full Version : Ansoy! - Archive File

megalomania
June 21st, 2003, 11:31 AM
ALENGOSVIG1
posted 06-29-2001 04:52 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ive been told many times that it is difficult and near impossible to detonate small amounts of anfo or ansoy. This is untrue. Here i will tell you what i did to achieve a full detonation from one pound of ansoy.
first constructed a casing out of 4" PVC pictured below.

I wouldnt have bought a fancy scew on cap but it it was quite cheap. After you have all of your pipe glue it all together with PROPER glue.

Now that you have your casing, your going to want to mix up the explosive. I chose ANsoy over anfo. i mixed in 6.5% soy oil to my over dried prills and sealed it in 4 zip lock bags to ensure no moisture was abrorbed and let it sit for 5 days. The soy oil takes longer to penetrate the prill than other fuels but ANsoy is more powerful and cap sensitive the traditional ANFO.

Here is a picture of my ANsoy and come CNsoy.
On the right is ANsoy and on the let is CNsoy:

I havent yet attempted to detonate the calcium nitrate/soy oil yet beause the soy oil still has not penetrated the prill completely.

Ofcourse you will need a detonator. for my detonator i chose 11 grams of picric acid and 20 grams of Acetone peroxide.

Here is 20 grams of acetone peoxide:

Here is 11 grams of Picric acid

The Picric Acis and Acetone Peroxide was pressed into a film cansiter and fused.

If you are using ANsoy than you must wait 5 days after mixing to get optimal power. If you are using diesel you must wait only one day or so. but as i said before ANsoy is more cap sensitive and more powerful than normal ANFO. IM assuming that you have now waited the appropriate amount of time depending on which fuel you used and are now ready to detonate the anfo. I drilled a hole in the scew on cap for my fuse and inserted to detonator into the pipe. I glued a 1" long 3/8" wooden dowel to the bottom of the film canister which i glued to the boton of the pipe. i did this so there was explosive underneath the detonator. I tried just placing the detonator in the center of the mix but it just floated around, so the dowel was necessary. After i had the detonator securely glued in the casing i poured in the explosive and secured the cap on tightly.

I placed the explosive at the base of a tree that had 4 trunks going straight up. I lit the fuse and ran behind cover and wateched the show. The detonation was spectacular, massive pieces of tree, bark, branchs and pvc were flying everywhere. When i walked about a km or so and got back home, my neighbour knocked on my door to ask if i was ok. I got all of it on film but when i got back home to watch the video it was all distorted. The battery started to run out as it went off. I really have to get new batteries! they last for abou 40 minuits!

Im going to charge up the batteries and go and take a picture of the wreckage.

------------------
How much power will you lose if you do not know what they already know?

Explosives Archive

[This message has been edited by ALENGOSVIG1 (edited June 29, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-29-2001 05:04 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't wait to see the pictures!
Shit, that detonator is like at least 10 number 8's!

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 06-29-2001 05:29 PM
Yeah, it was quite a powerful booster! it took me 30 minuits to press all of the explosive in the film canster. The battery is charged and im going to go take some pics.
------------------

Explosives Archive

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 06-29-2001 07:03 PM
ok i got some pics and i got the videom to turn out. its not that impressive becuase theres no sound and the screen size is quite small. but its worth the download.
http://24.78.209.165/anfo.mpeg

an heres some pics of the tree.

notice how the tree is split in many places.

------------------

Explosives Archive

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 06-30-2001 01:26 AM
Alen.does it mean that vegetable oil took more time to penetrate the ammonium nitrate.So it is more hydrophobic than the hydrocarbon like diesel fuel.How about if we add some emulsifier with high HLB value (hydrophile/lipophile balance) such as polysorbate 60(value is 14),making it more dispersible in the polar salt like ammonium nitrate.The addition of 0.2-0.5 based on oil weight may have a dramatic effect on dispersibility(.Poly-60 is a food emulsifier commonly used in food processing).This particular emulsifier is liquid and easily soluble in oil or waterSoy Lecithin is another emulsifier but has lower HLB value (about 8).It also facilitates dispersion of fat in food system such as cake batters and margarines..All this emulsifier must be dispersed first in the fat media. over low heat.I’m certain that this food additives will hasten the absorption of oil in the oxidizing salt(AN).

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted 06-30-2001 03:19 AM
Nice pics alen (poor tree). I'm guessing the soy oil has a substantially higher viscosity than diesel at room temperature, which could account for the slower dispersion/absorption rate. If that's the case, I don't know whether an emulsifier would help matters much.
What would be the effect of heating the soy oil (to lower the viscosity) prior to adding it? Were the AN prills "activated" by wetting and heating to a lower density (as discussed in previous posts)? This would probably make it a lot more absorbent. I've achieved densities as low as 0.45 grams/cc in only two activation stages. This compares with the approximately 0.8 grams/cc density of the commercial fertilizer product.

Mick
Frequent Poster
posted 06-30-2001 05:34 AM
nice work!...and pictures to boot! (me like pictures =)
i plan on detonating 500g of ANFO tomorrow(hopefully!!) altho, i don't think it is going to go off because when i measured out the diesel(25g = 5%) it really didn't seem to be enough to cover all of the AN...and plus, i'm only using AP Putty to detonate it...but you never know it may work....

i should upload the pics i have it so far...
(the casing is a little bit over the top =)

anyways alengosvig1, good work....

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 06-30-2001 03:31 PM
If you were to reduce the air preasure wouldn't the oil be pulled into the NH4NO3 faster(maybe 1hrs). Just a thought.
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 07-03-2001 05:24 PM
you are incorect. no way 30 grams of explolsives could have been that loud or powerful. I found no ansoy undetonated.
Thers also one thing that completely proves that it was a full detonation. you cant see it too well on the video i posted, but there is a massive cloud of smoke that jets up after detonation very quickly. In anfo terminology, these are called "fumes". 20 grams of acetone peroxide and 10 or 11 grams of picric acid dont make a massive cloud of smoke like in the movie. to see it in such small screen size you must look very carefully.
------------------

Explosives Archive

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 07-03-2001 06:42 PM
Yes ANFO or ANNM creates a large amount
of smoke,When i dreamed about ANNM i saw
it detonating and at the same time
the whole place around the tree whas FULL
of grey smoke,it disappeared very quickly
it only stays for maybe 5/7 seconds.
And if i look at those pictures of
the tree i see that it must be the
ANFO that did that ripped off all the bark.

When i detonated my ANNM batch not only the bark but also the wood whas stronly damaged.

------------------
ÐarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1
sendtosection1@hotmail.com

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 07-03-2001 10:12 PM
There was a crater inside the tree, i couldnt get a good angle and it was too dark so i didnt post the pics. ill go back and get some more pics later.