View Full Version : RDX question - Archive File

megalomania
June 21st, 2003, 11:33 AM
stanfield
Frequent Poster
posted 07-01-2001 05:12 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YEAAAAAAAH !
this morning, I succeeded in dreaming about RDX ! but now I know how to dream it, i got some new questions, here they are :
- The nitric acid became greenish after the addition of the hexamine, at this point, I stop adding hexamine, is it the good way or do I need to add more hexamine ?
- After that, I boil the solution to 55-60°C for 10 min, the solution changed color to yellowish but why do I need to boil the solution ?

any replies are more than appreciated

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 07-01-2001 06:04 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the same text as the last post in your other topic.
Don't flood the forum!
------------------
ŠarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1
sendtosection1@hotmail.com

stanfield
Frequent Poster
posted 07-01-2001 07:01 AM
yes, but I don't think anyone saw him because my post is 3 days old !

John456
Frequent Poster
posted 07-01-2001 08:56 AM
I dont know why it turns greenish but when its heated it turns yellowish because its decomposing into NOx gases. Mind telling us the method you used? Ive been trying RDX and having lots of trouble

stanfield
Frequent Poster
posted 07-01-2001 09:28 AM
- take 60 mL of red fuming nitric acid (98%)
- add hexamine until it turn into greenish (you must stir the mixture vigouresly while adding hexamine)
- when the solution is greenish, continue stirring the solution for 5 min
- heat the solution for 10 min at 55-60°C
- poor the solution into 400 mL of cold water
- fiter
- poor crystals into 400 mL of cold water with 5 g of sodium bicarbonate
- filter
- you got RDX
be sure the crystals are neutral when testing with blue litmus paper

good luck !

John456
Frequent Poster
posted 07-01-2001 11:23 AM
Tried your procedure except with 20mL of RFNA. The acid never turned greenish so i stopped adding hexamine after about 12 grams went in. It all dissolved quite well. I then put it on a hotplate and set it to 55*C and left for 5 mins. When i came back the thermometer read about 105*C, my guess is some hexamine that i didnt see went undissolved and when it dissolved it was nitrated. A botched procedure pretty much, i thought, BUT, when i poured the solution into 150mL of cold water lots of little white crystals began to precipitate, some floated on the top. It is still precipitating now but im not sure its RDX.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 07-01-2001 12:16 PM
If it doesn't redissolve then it's quite likely to be I think.

John456
Frequent Poster
posted 07-01-2001 01:42 PM
Well, i guess i wont be able to test it now since when i was filtering it i stubbed my toe on a block of wood that i didnt notice and dropped the beaker in the sink where it broke. I am pretty sure it was RDX though, so i think i will try this method again. Anyone know how i can prevent the solution from overheating when heating it to 55*c? Thanks!

no_name_available
posted 07-01-2001 05:33 PM
never leave a nitration process alone, you should be able to cool it. to make it secure, you should make it slow, take pretty much time !
and, perhaps you all should do a pretty fucking research before doing anything. i know i have less posts than you all who posted in this thread. but it seems no one off you have ever heard about the K-salt process.