View Full Version : Smoke experiments... - Archive File

megalomania
June 21st, 2003, 11:45 AM
CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 05-18-2001 09:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smoke bombs are fun, aren't they? Here is my recipe for really, really good smoke!
Materials:
- Potassium nitrate, KNO3.
- Ammonium nitrate, NH4NO3.
- Ping pong balls. Lots and lots of ping pong balls. These are made of a lightweight fibre, cellulose nitrate and a little bit of camphor. You all know what cellulose nitrate is, and camphor is a hydrocarbon that produces nice, thick, black smoke when it burns.
- Acetone. The first and simplest ketone.
- Sucrose. Everyone's favourite simple sugar.
- PVC glue. Get this at Do-It-Yourself type stores. Spud-gunners should already have a lot of this lying around.
Let's go:
This smoke mixture involves the combining of three composites of the above. Two are mentioned in the Makeshit Arsehole... er... Makeshift Arsenal, one is indirectly inferred in there. The first is the NH4NO3 and PVC glue dealy, the second is thinly stripped ping pong balls, dissolved in acetone to make a thick "goop", and the third is the good ol' 1:1 ratio KNO3 and sucrose mix, melted (it must be mixed whilst it is still molten). First, mix up 4 parts of the first one, with 1 part of the second one, and kneed into an even consistency. Then cook up your KNO3/sugar batch, wait till the molten goo cools to an acceptable level, then mix it in (3 parts) vigorously with the dough you have just made.
To test, take small bits of your smoke dough and light them up with a sparkler. I find it often lights up in a bright orange flame, which hinders the smoking. There is an easy remedy to this, simply adding an inert substance to it, like sawdust. This is the best smoke bomb I have ever seen! Way better than NH4NO3/PVC and KNO3/sugar on their own. And the ping ping balls give it extra whizz!

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 05-18-2001 03:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How about this (yet untested theory)? Mix some type of oil (something that gives big black smoke) like diesel or whatever, with sawdust, just enough for it to become soaked (the sawdust that is). Then, maybe to get it burning more quickly, mix some oxidiser like KClO3 (only an example) and light. Anyway, what do you think? Obviously you'd have to mix with the ratios a bit till they worked, maybe use AN etc, but it seems possible to me.

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted 05-20-2001 07:43 PM
This mix works great,also:
Potassium nitrate-6 parts
confectioners sugar-4 parts
ammonium chloride-6 parts
potassium chlorate-6 to 7 parts
sodium bicarbonate-3% of total weight
I was trying to find a way to use amm. chloride without KCl03,but this is as close as I got.This mix burns way cooler than plain nitrate/sugar,which comes in handy if you want to use your smoke bombs outdoors;less chance of setting the woods,grass,etc. on fire.
This is a white smoke mix,btw,and all the ingredients should be finely powdered (seperately) for best results.

[This message has been edited by MacCleod (edited May 20, 2001).]

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 05:01 AM
Here is my formula for a very good white smoke...And it is the last time I write it here since you could retrive it from old posts!I'm tired posting the same shits!
Suggar/candle wax/NaClO3(60%)!
Put in an iron can some molten candle wax (until third of the height) wait until it is 50C (you can put your finger fast in it without being burnt!) (or if you want to spare your fingers when droping a cristal of NaClO3 it doesn't produces air bubbles anymore)!When it is at the right temp add the NaClO3 (60%) and the suggar (in a 50/50 proportion) and mix with the wax until all the can is near full of a pasty candle!Allow to cool dawn; it will contract and incurve a little!Now add on top in the incurvation and in the left free part (1-2cm)of the can a little of 50/50 mix suggar/NaClO3(60%) for the lighting!Glue a cardboard or a plastic cap with a hole in the middle for the fuse!
Insert the fuse and light by night and/or by cold weather (when the weather is hot, fumes goes up and don't come fast to the ground!).
Also a not too windy day is prefered for best effect!

During the day with a cola/pepsi can expect the firemans to ring at your door!
Don't do this on the inside of a house or on the furnitures of your mother!All the can will be melt down and the surface beyond will be burnt severely!
In a street or in a tunnel you won't be able to see at 5 meters!

Believe me start small, you will be impressed!
A thee spoon can smoke a full room of 50 cubic meters!!!
Enjoy!

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 06:12 PM
PHILOU, sounds good. Would it be possible to use petrolatum (vaseline, etc.) instead of tallow?

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 04:38 AM
Yes!Vaseline is OK but a little more expensive I think!
------------------
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Teck
Frequent Poster
posted 05-26-2001 09:46 PM
What role does wax play in your composition?And can I use anything else besides wax?
and what is tallow?

CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 05-27-2001 07:16 PM
"Tallow" is a generic name for candle wax.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-28-2001 05:03 AM
Candle wax is hard and easy molten thus you have something that can take 100% of the space in a can, easy handable, compact!
The wax also participates a lot in the smoke production... when a candle burns slowly it produces smoke but you don't see it (except when you shut it down) here all thoses fumes are in one shot in less than a minute all the candle is burned!
Actually chlorate and wax makes a lot of smoke but is hard to set in fire...reason why there is suggar in the mix to boost the heat up to finally inflame the wax!
I discover that mix by accident when making candles that contains NaClO3...when you light the candle (tiny candles in a Al cup)it burns normaly a quarter of an hour, then all the surface starts to burn (flame no more located on the rope/fuse); this will heat up the cup and melt the wax that heat up the NaClO3 that generates O2 bubbles that accelerates the burning effect; while the wax is burning (fast now) the level goes down until it reaches the NaCLO3 cristals!
Then after half an hour the perfect mix of wax and NaClO3 is overheated and the charcoal from the fuse in fire will set the all stuff in fire, melting the Al cup and spreading a dense fume that can oppacify completely a room (1 teaspoon)!
ENJOY!

------------------

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 06-02-2001 03:00 PM
MacCleod
I tried your mix. I used:
6g KClO3
6g KNO3
6g NH4Cl
4g Sucrose
0.3g NaHCO3
It worked great. It didn't really burn with flame it just seemed to smolder quickly. I pressed a film canister about 2/3's ful of this, fused it, packed wauding on toto hold it in place(the mix), then put the lid on it and taped it on. Impressive
We also tried a mixture of S, KNO3, KClO3, then added a bit of 1/3 smokeless and put it in a coffee grinder. put bit of acetone in a dish added some mix, stirred, and continued this un till iwas a really stiff dough(more like crumbs). then press it in to a small soup can and fuse it. this also smolder instead of burn. it is best if confined because then it doesn't flame and have no smoke. I will try to get the ratios right
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 06-02-2001 10:29 PM
I like KClO3, naptahlene, ascorbic acid. It produces alot of thick black smoke. i like kno3/sucrose the best because it it cheap. i just came back from lighting off 5 kilograms of the mix. Definately the most smoke ive ever seen. filled up an entier soccer field and the forest beside it. took me all day to grind all the componenets and melt them. the molten mix was 5 kg's and it filled three one litre jars.

------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-03-2001 05:37 AM
Stir LOADS of NH4Cl into the molten KNO3/sorbitol or KNO3/sucrose (65:35 ratio of KNO3 to fuel), to form a sticky, crumbly solid. Let this set and set fire to it, it's pretty good.

JB
posted 06-03-2001 12:06 PM
a while ago i was experimenting with a few chemicals in my garage to form a 'smoke bomb'. i tried mixing wood Kreosote with motor oil, then taking a sodium chlorate sugar mix (ratio 1:1), adding this to the oily substance till it was absorbed to the point where it was a plastique texture. this was left in a glass jar over night. I scraped it out into some aluminium foil, screwed it up into a ball, and pushed a fuse into this. It burnt quite fiercely for quite a few minuites, filling the whole area with thick white smoke. This was one of the best smoke generators i have made. I may have added a few more chemicals like Nitromores to the oil and Kreosote though i cant remember.

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted 06-05-2001 01:09 AM
Hey,Agent Blak,thanks for the kudo's,Bro!.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 06-05-2001 10:02 AM
It worked great. It was not very harsh on the lungs, easily ignitable, no really anything exotic(ie Hexachlorathane, Red P, etc), and produes Thick Smoke in desecent quantity.
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 09:31 PM
The standard for white is the sugar and KNO3. but would adding naptahlene to it during the meltting part help to thicken and/or darken the smoke?

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 10:47 PM
Not a bad idea,ANTI-SYSTEM.If it's workable,it'd be a super-simple black smoke.
I imagine most members here use the sugar/nitrate smoke,simply because of the ease of acquiring(sp?)the chems(plus it smells good when it burns,doesn't choke you!).As far as commercial smoke usage goes,they tend to use mixes which burn cooler,so as not to set things on fire(on movie sets,in the woods,etc.).
I've tried HC/zinc oxide/alum. smoke(supposedly a military formula),but it burned hotter than sugar nitrate,and caused an overpressure which burst the case it was in.Anyone else tinkered with this,had better luck?.

[This message has been edited by MacCleod (edited June 10, 2001).]

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 06-11-2001 12:03 AM
Back smoke is simple.
For a slow formula just get a film canister(the white/clear kind) an cut is in to smaller pieces. then add when you are charging the canister.
For fast I like this mix:
6g-KClO3
2g-Sucrose
2g-Charcoal dust(Activated works)
2g-Napthalene
Mill it in a coffee grinder(KClO3 by it self). Then put it all in a glass jar and shake it so it is mixed(homo mix). it will burn like Pyrodex(ALEN can give you a second opinion).
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 06-11-2001 02:31 AM
Just don't breath the smoke if you use naphthalene.

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-11-2001 04:53 PM
would it be possible to substitutethe KNO3 with the mothe balls and a little BP or ESTES rocket engine fuel.
I was thinking in volume
8 Napa.
1 BP
6-8 sugar
Yes/NO?

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 06-11-2001 08:37 PM
If you can't find any chemicals,Putt some sparklers inside a PVC pipe till you can't ad more,light 1 sparkler and they will all ignite and will burn the PVC pipe creating black/grey smoke which is very bad to breath
ANTI-SYSTEM:There is to much fuel in that mix,KNO3 is an oxidiser and Moth balls not so it can't work as a substitue for KNO3

------------------
DarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1
sendtosection1@hotmail.com

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-14-2001 12:28 AM
well to be fare it did burn but only the napa. in turned into a wax that burned like gas. bright orange with excess smoke. ill try the real mix oonce my KNO3 comes in.

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-18-2001 01:23 PM
WHat if i used dehyderated honey insted of sugar. iv heard of honey being used to fuel indecenarys befor so why not

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-25-2001 11:47 AM
sorry 3 in a row. is the KNO3 a oxidizer in the reaction? if so why not use chlorine tablets. they are clearly labeled as an oxidizer
------------------
Its not (chance \ opportunity) that (kills \ fucks \ maims \ busts) people, Its the ignorance that allows it to happen.
If your that fucking stupid then maybe you deserved it.

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-25-2001 04:04 PM
4, wow,thats a first. the sugar(10part)+ "Shock"(10parts) + ammonium chloride(1part) works. i had it in a cat food can and was trying to melt it together. but it wouldnt melt it just popped continously. so i gve the blow torch more fuel (after5 minutes of waitting) and the can started to smoke so i moved it to the driveway. it then realy started to smoke. the smoke wasnt all that thick and puffy but none the less SMOKE. it wasnt on fire but kind of boiling its self to make the smoke. while it was doing this it began to form a big solid foam\ash head, like the snake fireworks do. this head became 4x bigger than the can it started in.
It wasnt all that great but if you got time and the materials then give it a try. might get it to work better.

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted 07-15-2001 05:21 PM
I've tried the formula KNO3-Sugar-50%-50%. It works good and even better tf you add NH4Cl to the mix. The ammonium chloride is not added to the mixture as a powder. It is added in small nylon pockets(1,2 grams in pokcket). That ensures that the ammonium chloride won't burn but will decompose/evaporate(it decomposes to NH3 and HCl which react again in the air and form it again).
The ultimate smoke device I've made was with sulphur and Zn powder...(2 volumes S, 1 volume Zn). The Zn and S were melt to form very dense substance which is hardly ignitable. If you fear that they can ignite on melting(the S melts)(I've done it many times with no accident), don't melt it, it works fine without this procedure). It makes green fire like hell and lost of white smoke from ZnO and ZnS(I think not all the ZnS burns).
2Zn+2S=2ZnS
ZnS+3/2O2=ZnO+SO2
The mixture is easily ignitable with KMnO4,S mix.

[This message has been edited by simply RED (edited July 15, 2001).]

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 07-23-2001 08:36 AM
BTW for the dumbs who want to apply SimplyRed's formula to sodium chlorate - suggar mix remeber it is forbidden to mix ammonium salt to chlorate unless you want to die young.
------------------

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted 07-25-2001 07:33 PM
sodium chlorate?
I've never said anything about NaClO3 in my post...
It is KNO3-sugar(potassium nitrate), and to this is added ammonium cloride in plastic bags. It coud be added in powder, but it decrees performance.

[This message has been edited by simply RED (edited July 25, 2001).]

Anthony
posted 07-25-2001 08:16 PM
PHILOU Zrealone was warning anyone thinking of replacing the KNO3 in your recipe for a chlorate, as it could react with the ammonium chloride form ammounium chlorate.

zeocrash
July 6th, 2003, 05:52 PM
ok i tried the NH4 Cl mix
i found that when i used the mix suggested, the molten sugar clogged everything up and nothing really happened
my recipie has the obvious danger that i was mixing sodium chlorate with sulphur, but since i had no intention of storing the mixture i did not really think this was a problem.
my recipie was
5g sulphur
20g NH4 NO3
20g sodium chlorate
5-10g icing sugar
20g NH4 Cl

it slouldered gently for about 40 seconds, producing a small amount of smoke, then suddenly produced enourmous amounts of thick white smoke, providing a highly effective smokescreen.
i was thinking that mixing some iodine into the batch could make purple smoke, as iodine sublimes.

GibboNet
July 6th, 2003, 10:23 PM
About the iodine, wouldn't this stain everything the smoke touches ?

I mean, you want to hide by clouding an area with smoke, it won't help when the smoke clears and you're bright purple right ? I know I'm not thinking about it from a pyro point of view really, but a thought.

I suppose it's at least cheap and easy.

scarletmanuka
July 6th, 2003, 10:39 PM
CaCl2O2 (from pool chlorine) can be used as an oxidiser in smoke comp's. whilst trying to make a flash I used by volume 3parts CaCl2O2 1parts S 1parts Al. This gave a clean slow flame releasing lot's of SO2 and some Cl2 a really bad combination on the lungs. I tried a mixture of tar 1parts S 1parts and CaCl2O2 2parts, which gave of a thick harsh smoke. Probably worth fine tuning.

zeocrash
July 7th, 2003, 04:17 AM
coloured smokes do tend to stain the things as they are usualy sublimed dyes, rescue smokes have the aweful habit of turning everything they touch bright orange.
i noticed that my smoke mix had no visable flames, and was not hot enough to ignite the semi-dry grass nearby

Guerilla
July 7th, 2003, 07:59 AM
The best smoke comps I've tried have been hexachloroethane/zinc based. This one has been pretty effective:

C2Cl6 5
Zn 5
KNO3 2
S 1

It needs quite a bit of heating first but when it ignites it burns furiously producing lots of thick grey smoke. The smoke will be dense and long lasting especially on moist weather when the formed hygroscopic zinc chloride particles can suck up more water from the air becoming heavier..

The messy smoke dyes indeed, I had enough of making colored smokes for a while after a couple of batches. You just can't prevent the dye from getting on all the nearby surfaces, leaving you a nice mess to clean up.

kingspaz
July 7th, 2003, 12:58 PM
http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=469&highlight=new+smoke+comp

half way down was the formula i found to work best (the one with vaseline).

not sure about storability but the vaseline should help alot to stabilising it.