View Full Version : Al powder - Archive File

megalomania
June 21st, 2003, 11:48 AM
the_wingman
Frequent Poster
posted 06-06-2001 02:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there sb who knows where to get cheap Al-powder in Europe (GB,F,D,I,CH,A) ?
The only time I saw it being sold was in a paint store in GB (quite expensive).

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 06-08-2001 07:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where are you from?Here in Belgium, Brussel, I know a place!
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

the_wingman
Frequent Poster
posted 06-09-2001 01:43 PM
I live in the south of Germany. Belgium is too far away for me but they might send it to me. What kind of store get you the Al from?

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 08:45 AM
I know a UK place, I bet they'd post it to you if you can't find anywhere else.
It's a fibreglass resin additive, to make it silver coloured. It works well for things like rocket fuels, HE additives, thermite, white flames etc., but isn't good in flash except with KMnO4.
Anyway, the site is:
www.cfsnet.co.uk
Their polyester resin also works for little AN composite rocket motors.

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 11:02 AM
Here's a source in south germany, it's phlegmatised AL-powder with a mesh size of ca. 200 (i guess). The zinc dust is extremely fine (400-600 mesh or finer!)
http://www.kremer-pigmente.com/

http://www.kremer-pigmente.com/pigmen13.htm#metallpulver

Here's a list of shops etc. that sell their products international.
http://www.kremer-pigmente.com/laden.htm#weltweit

------------------
for best catfood visit:
kangaroooo.cjb.net

JB
posted 06-10-2001 03:59 PM
I'm not sure how true this is but I was told aluminium powder could be bought from fancy-dress & costume shops to put into hair to give it a silver grey effect.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 06:10 PM
Aparrently the silver guy in the wizard of oz movie, his cheeks were silver from Al powder, and he had lung problems from the small Al particles.
Don't breathe in fine Al powder!!

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 06:31 PM
I read somwhere that the silver guy in the movie is actually the replacement guy, the first one died because of the AL powder. But it might be a bit exaggerated...
------------------
for best catfood visit:
kangaroooo.cjb.net

Zach
posted 06-10-2001 07:06 PM
HEY!
I've been a lurker for almost a year, and thought about registering many a time, but I'm too lazy and such.
anyway ->
I know that there is very fine aluminum dust inside of etch-a-sketches! your average afore mentioned childhood frustration device contains, as an added bonus, thousands of itty bitty little glass balls. I assume that shaking the E.A.S. generates a small amount of static electricity between the glass balls and the aluminum powder, causing the aluminum power to adhere to them until they touch the "screen" of the E.A.S. , effectivly "erasing" the lines made previously.

the only trouble is separating the glass balls and aluminum~! My friend and I were thinking centrifuge, but I dunno...
I'll leave that to you brainy folks.

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 07:11 PM
if i am recalling "EAS" correctly i think the Al powder inside them is to coarse.
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

Anthony
posted 06-10-2001 07:19 PM
ETS works with magnet tools, I'm pretty sure it's iron filings inside?

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 07:21 PM
could be, all i remeber is the stuff being pretty coarse when considering how small you need the powders to be.
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 11:18 PM
Hey,Zach,a 100 mesh screen would probably work to seperate the beads;you can get 'em from Firefox.
I tried mixing some of the un-seperated alum./beads with potassium nitrate,and when lit it burned with a black-ish smoke;could the beads be plastic?.

Zach
posted 06-10-2001 11:21 PM
is it?
I remember breaking it open, and getting the stuff all over my hands, and it turning me silver, and it got in my clothes, and would'nt rub off. it also had a slightly lubricant effect, like baby powder.
etch a sketch definitly contains aluminum, not iron. you are thinking of some other toy, I'm sure. probably magna-doodle.

anyway, if I am mistaken as to the size of the aluminum partilcles, well then crap.
thanks for tellin me.

------------------

Z

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted 06-11-2001 12:09 AM
I remember reading (somewhere) that if the aluminum powder appears silver it is too course for practical work. The best material is a dark grey, with no metallic appearance.
This isn't to say that coarser grades aren't useful - they're just not as good.

nbk2000
posted 06-11-2001 08:32 AM
Etch-a-sketch uses aluminium powder with microscopic plastic beads that act to keep the powder from clumping.
However, given the cost and how little aluminum there is in an etch-a-sketch, it wouldn't be practical to try using them as a source of Al powder for "experiments".

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Go here to download the NBK2000 videos.

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted 06-11-2001 01:18 PM
I have 425 mesh bright flake alum. that works great in KCl03 flash mixes,though the darker powders do burn faster.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 06-12-2001 03:30 AM
It is a grossist store and they don't deliver, you have to come and buy it!

------------------
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 06-12-2001 10:23 AM
Or ask me to bring you some when we have become coworkers
------------------

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 07-16-2001 04:42 AM
Just visit some paint stores and ask if they have it or if they can order it.
BTW you said in another topic that you made flashpoder,how can you make that if you don't know where to find AL powder?

(And talk English in this forum)

------------------
ÐarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1
sendtosection1@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by DarkAngel (edited July 16, 2001).]

- - -=Blaster=- - -
posted 07-16-2001 11:34 AM
oh yeah, mr. moderator, i'm sorry for what i said with f*uck you.
i was a little fucked up(problem with my friends).
i hope it doesn't break my reputation.
(Don't worry, your reputation as a deep throat master is intact. Although I am rather put out that your offer to fuck your punk ass is no more. NBK2000)

[This message has been edited by nbk2000 (edited July 17, 2001).]

PYREX
posted 07-16-2001 02:16 PM
Be careful when buying AL-bronze. Recently I have asked a friend of mine (whose father is a painter) if he could get me some AL-bronze. He then gave me three film canisters full of the stuff, each ~6g. He then told me that his father had said that this wasnt pure AL but only about 10% Al alloyed with other metals like Sn, Cu and others. I couldnt believe it because no one ever mentioned sth like that here on the forum. Then I consulted a chemistry encyclopedia and it said just exactly what my friend had told me.
It has a clear silver and flaky appearance.
Strange thing. What do you guys think about it?

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 07-16-2001 03:24 PM
I bought some AL powder ones
(Atleast i thought it whas,the stuff whas cald "AL powder fn silver")
And try'd to make several batches of thermite with it,it didn't burned at al.
Than i found another source where you
can buy AL powder and the stuff they
sold there had a diverent colour than
the stuff i had,
so i also try'd to make
some thermite with it and it whas excellent.
So PYREX try to make some thermite with it or flash powder and if it doesn't work you have the wrong kind of powder.

------------------
ÐarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1

[This message has been edited by DarkAngel (edited July 16, 2001).]

PYREX
posted 07-16-2001 03:57 PM
YEAH! thanx DarkAngel! I totally forgot. I have made thermite with it. I used 3g "Al" and 9g ceramic-shop-grade Fe2O3. It burned very well with a red flame and some sparks. BUT it didnt produce any heat. It wasnt the white blinding light Im used to see when burning thermite with Al filings. Also the Iron was only red not white.
I think the stuff sucks.

J
posted 07-16-2001 06:10 PM
Ask whether it's pure before you buy it. I don't know about bronzing powder or paint Al (never seen either), but the stuff sold as a resin additive is pure.
J

------------------
Download the forum archive from my yahoo briefcase
PGP key available here (ID = 0x5B66A792)

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted 07-18-2001 06:36 PM
Here in eastern europe the bronze paint is pure alluminium. I've used it for low explosives, thermite, mixed with naphta for ammonite.... Usually the pure Al powder is stolen by the bomb makers from the shipyard. The most bomb makers here are idiotic and they can make only "minium+Al powder bombs" which usually left them without fingers. Here they sell in every paint store "bronze paint" that is liquid and is mixture of petrol, bezir(solvent that becomes hard when dries) and Al powder.

PYREX
posted 07-19-2001 11:16 AM
Yes, the liquid bronze I have bought seems to contain pure Al since it burns with a bright white glow when dry.
I thougt it could be useful as FO in ANFO mixtures with 10% Al to give it an extra boom:-).
Whats "minium"?

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 07-19-2001 05:04 PM
"FO" doesn't mean fuel but "Fuel Oil"

------------------
ÐarkAngel

PYREX
posted 07-20-2001 11:52 AM
I know. Nevertheless its kinda oily substance

deezs
Frequent Poster
posted 07-20-2001 04:55 PM
Minium is Pb3O4. A cheap dark red (brownish) paint, used to cover iron, to protect from corrosion.

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted 07-22-2001 06:00 PM
There is a formula for bombs which has taken the hands, feet and many other parts of the dummys' bodies here.
It is a mix of minium and white bronze. The mixture is extra sensitive(explodes when it is thrown against something). Not only the mix is shit powerful and suicidal, the idiots put some hard stones or glass in the mix and wrap it with newspapers and tape... The bombs explode when they hit the ground or other object with flame and deep boom, but not powerful. The stones and glass pieces fly from it.
I think the mixture burns to lead and Al2O3 but not totally sure, any other lead oxides may form if the Al is in low quantity, i think.

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 07-23-2001 03:48 AM
Oh,that looks interesting,I thought before that only aluminum and iron oxide are suitable for making a pyrotechnic composition(Thermite) which,by the way is hard to ignite.Do you have any idea about its approximate composition?

BrAiNFeVeR
Frequent Poster
posted 07-24-2001 05:19 PM
In a pharmacy in around here (Belgium) I can buy 100 grams of Al powder for 600 BEF (15 euro).
Is this a good price ?
Is there a dutch (nederlands) speaking person around here who can ask some stupid questions (so i don't bother the rest), 'caus i'm pretty new around here ...

Sonny Jim
June 21st, 2003, 06:15 PM
Get some metallic paint, the sort that dries with shiny metal grains in it.

Now guess what these grains are... Al!

Now, add a lot of solvent, (i use acetone) to the paint to thin it right down. Now filter it and the Al particles collect on the filter. Wash them and there you are.

I've used silvery Al powder filed down from a bar in thermite, so the powder doesn't need to be grey to work in all cases.