View Full Version : flash powder - Archive File

megalomania
June 21st, 2003, 12:52 PM
-(z)-
posted 07-22-2001 08:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i got the Perchlorate/aluminum flash powder's fomula, but i don't know how to mix them togeter to make the powder. plz help me out here.
the stuff in it is potassium perchlorate, al powder, and sulfur.

mongo blongo
Frequent Poster
posted 07-22-2001 09:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as i know u just mix them together in a bowl or something!
The powders should be as fine as possible!

Anthony
posted 07-22-2001 10:04 PM
Doing that can get you a nasty accident pretty easily! The way to mix flash is with the diaper method. You take a sheet of newspaper, put your chemicals together in the middle of the newspaper and by picking up diagonally opposite corners of the newspaper, roll the powder back and forth. You will have to switch to the other corners every now and again to stop the powder escaping off of the side of the newspaper.
If you've got decent Al then there's no need for S which could cause your flash to ignite spontaneously if there is come chlorate in your perchlorate.

J
posted 07-23-2001 12:57 PM
But if it's resin filler grade, you will need the S. I find it's useful to mix a few percent of the Al in with the Perchlorate before mixing in the rest of the fuel, this way any lumps in the Perchlorate can be gently pressed out without fear of accidental ignition.
Use a big sheet of paper (a broadsheet newspaper will do fine) so as to keep your hands away from the mixing.