View Full Version : Hopping Mine - Archive File

megalomania
June 21st, 2003, 01:05 PM
nbk2000
posted 06-05-2001 11:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More to come....

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Go here to download the NBK2000 videos.

EP
Frequent Poster
posted 06-06-2001 12:54 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ive seen these before, made because unlike most robots, they can get over objects higher than themselves. Some ideas I have heard of for their use are minefields that "heal" themselves when mines are detonated, and for surface exploration of other plantes. Sorry if I ruined your surprise

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-06-2001 01:20 PM
There was an article on these in "New Scientist" magazine which occaisionally has interesting things in. If one gets blown up, they use radio or something to detect the gap, and the nearest one hops around until it lands in it. That would look neat!

PYRO500
posted 06-06-2001 03:59 PM
not to mention what if someone jammed the signal, hundreds, possibly thousands hoping and banging around!

SafetyLast
Frequent Poster
posted 06-06-2001 05:15 PM
Yeah, I read an article in Popular Science magazine about those hopping robots, dont know why they would be used as land mines though. It would make more sense to build them half that size and use them like hand grenades. I've been gone for 5 months I've got a lot of catching up to do.

nbk2000
posted 06-06-2001 07:00 PM
Nice to see other people keep up on things.
But what I'm getting at is a simple way to make a bounding mine that will pop up out of the ground.

A barrel made of a short section of pipe is integrated into the mine body, and a cut down shotgun shell with just enough powder to lift the mine about a yard into the air (determined by prior experiment) is inserted.

A piston made of wood, attached to a wood plate at least as large as the mine, is inserted into the barrel. A rubber gasket seal the barrel and piston.

When initiated (by whatever means) the powder in the shell pushes against the piston, launching the mine out of the ground.

Since the initiator would probably be an electric circuit of some kind, timing the launch and explosion is simply a matter of adjusting the timing of a 555 IC with two relay outputs. For example, after an input from the trigger, 1 second later the mine launches and 200 milliseconds later explodes.

The military is developing hopping mines in response to the Ottowa (SP?) Convention banning anti-personnel mines. Typically, anti-tank mines are guarded by AP mines to prevent breaching. But without AP mines, the enemy could send in soldiers to breach the field.

Hopping mines though would detect a brech and rearrange themselves to fill the gap, thus and enemy would have to keep repeating the breaching operation until either there weren't enough mines left to fill the gap, or was destroyed by overwatching fire.

Since the mines have a hop range of 5 KM, I think they'd be good for dropping deep inside the enemies cities, where they'd arm and then hop around at random till they ran out of fuel. They'd explode when anything worthy gets near. Sort of a terrorist mine.

You'd never know where one is, the sight of one hopping would send people fleeing in terror, and the sound of "pop......pop.....popBOOM!" would echo through the deserted streets.

Almost like that movie "Screamers" where autonomous weapons moved underground, surfacing only to tear you to shreds.

By the way, a Real Media video of the hopping mines in action can be found at my video link below.

------------------

[This message has been edited by nbk2000 (edited June 06, 2001).]

CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 06-06-2001 07:47 PM
nbk, sorry for getting off topic, but whenever I try to download your PDF it just gives me a "Members 404" error.

Anthony
posted 06-06-2001 08:10 PM
What powers these things? It'd take a lot of energy to hop along for 5km!

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 06-06-2001 08:14 PM
You must use the url http://members.nbci.com/angelo_444/NBK2000.pdf.txt
Because the html on his site is wrong and it has the "PDF" extension of the name capitolized. I emailed him and he responded saying that he'd change it but i suppose he never did.

------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 06-06-2001 08:25 PM
how do you propose to get it to hope repeatedly? You could use a set up with a 12g CO2, it would presurise a small resivoir and would then release it by pushing out an coming back and closing the valve again. This would allow it to do several jumps. say it will do 7 jumps; after each jump it closes a switch; when all switches have been closed it activates a .375 of a Ssecond deley. this will allow it to go off in mid-air where it will do the most damage. Do you follow?

Anthony
posted 06-06-2001 09:06 PM
A 12gm CO2 is a good idea but you wouldn't be able to fit enough high pressure gas in the unit shown to make it hop for 5km which is why I'm wondering what on earth powers it!

nbk2000
posted 06-06-2001 10:45 PM
Blak, my version is only intended to hop up once and explode. The pusher plate stays on the ground
The military version uses a 20 gram tank of hydrocarbon fuel (undisclosed type) and the "hopper" is basically a one cylinder engine that burns the fuel.

There's 2 types of hopper, one is for distance, the other for height. The distance on goes up 3 feet and out 6 feet for 4,000 times. The height one goes up to 30 feet up (assuing 60 out) but can only do it 100 times.

Have you seen the video yet? It shows the differnt types.

------------------

angelo
Frequent Poster
posted 06-06-2001 11:12 PM
relax ALENGOSVIG1
I've been having problems with my new computer.
I have already changed it but i have not uploaded it yet.

I watched that video, the sound those mines make could get terrifying.
Imagine, in the dead of the night your in a city and your about to go and watch a movie and you walk down an alley, you turn around and see one of these things chasing you, making that noise and no matter were you run you keep on hearing that noise.
What a fucking nightmare

------------------
you can't catch me because I'm the gingerbread man
angelo's place have a good link? add it here

nbk2000
posted 06-06-2001 11:42 PM
For comparison, here;s a few illustrations of a conventional bounding mine.

------------------

angelo
Frequent Poster
posted 06-07-2001 12:01 AM
I see, so the conventional ones don't actually have any electronics in them, they are set off at a certain height by the use of a pull cord. Its set off by the use of a trip wire.
If it is improvised with the use of an electronic detonation, it could be easily hooked up to a number of triggering devices, like motion sensors, trip cord, weight sensors, light sensors.

angelo
Frequent Poster
posted 06-07-2001 12:04 AM
oh and I just updated my site
------------------
if our society had shown me a path other than violence, I would hve taken it.
angelo's place have a good link? add it here| go to the OZ Forum

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 06-07-2001 01:06 AM
NBK2000 with the 12gram Idea you good get it to hop several times(I was thinking aboiut 7). They are a wepon of terroryou want more than one hop. The hop/noise is to terify them; the charge is want keeps them affraid. you could make some that would work on 3 hops some on 7 some on 5. this would make them hard to predict and make them even more terrifing. A PETN/NC castable explosive with marbles and 3/8" Ball Bearings is just what the doctor ordered for this one. Have them radio activated; they are all despersed; then send a high power signal to activate some and then another to activate the rest.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

PYRO500
posted 06-07-2001 03:00 AM
damn! after watching that I really want one! even if it had no explosive charge! what I want to know is what makes them hop in the right direction and how they keep turning in the right direction and how they always land the right side up that would be awsome to have a remote controlled version so you could hop it around. any links to web sites about this?

CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 06-07-2001 03:56 AM
Thanks ALENGOSVIG1.

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 06-07-2001 07:16 AM
PYRO500: Maybe the inside of the mine can move and always turns down to earth.
If someone that ever saw these things killing his friends/family and survived it,he pissed himself every time he hear a dropping/whistling sound,

"They'd explode when anything worthy gets near"

NBK how works the detonation system of the mines,they hit the ground every time but don't explode but when anything worthy gets near they explode how is that possible?

------------------
DarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1
sendtosection1@hotmail.com

nbk2000
posted 06-07-2001 08:33 AM
Obviously a mine that can hop around on it's own will also have sophisticated sensors. Acoustic, seismic, IR, magnetic, radio, etc. A mine this expensive would be intended to attack tanks, AFV, buses, trains, and other high value targets.
But it would also be capable of chasing a person down! Assuming the piston could fire the instant it hit the ground again, rather that the 5 seconds it currently takes.

Imagine walking down an alley when you hear a PING! sound. Turn around and see this olive drab can coming at you PING..PING..PING...faster than you can run, and it's closing in on you.

Wouldn't take too many times of that happening to convince people to stay indoors. Especially if the mine didn't just blow up, but rather was an automous mobile sniper!

A small gun was built in and would fire a shot at anything human that passed within range, and then hopped AWAY to another location, thus making detection and nuetralization more difficult. Beauty of this would be multiple people could be killed or wounded by one mine, and it can sill attack a tank or whatnot if one is detected.

This is, of course, an exercise in mental masturbation since the US would "never" make such a weapon (until someone else does it first) but it sure would be cool to have one.

Back to the original intent of the topic though. If the mine was above ground, hidden in bushes or such, than a mousetrap with a tripwire could be used to set it off. A striker is set on the part of the trap that whips around, the tripwire attached to the trigger. When activated, the striker hits the shell primer, launching the mine into the air.

For a strictly pyrotechnic fuse mech, a small hole is drilled at the bottom of the barrel (closest to the ground) and a section of flash fuse catches the flash of flame as the piston passes the hole, passing the flame to the detonator.

There's no realistic way to get multiple hops from an improvised version. Too difficult, and not needed. Just need one.za

===========================================

Sandia National Laboratories is currently developing an Intelligent Mobile Land Mine (IMLM) System to meet the needs of DARPA's Self-Healing Minefield Program. The goal of the IMLM system is to add intelligence and mobility to anti-tank (AT) landmines. This will enable the AT mine system to autonomously detect that a breach has occurred, determine which mines need to move to heal the breach, and deploy the mobility system to make the required moves. Sandia is currently developing the technologies required to meet this objective which includes the mobility system, behavior algorithms, communication systems, and ranging sensors.

Each IMLM unit will contain a radio, ranging sensor and control electronics. The radio will provide communication between each IMLM unit. Communication algorithms will establish a network between units after they are deployed. The ranging sensor will provide the distance between each IMLM unit which will be used to calculate the relative location of all units in the minefield. An acoustic ranging system is currently being developed for this purpose. The control electronics will contain the microprocessor for algorithm computations and system control.

After the IMLM minefield is initially deployed and locations established, the presence of known neighbors and verification of their known distances will establish that the minefield is distributed properly. Disappearance of one to several IMLM units will indicate that a possible breach has occurred. On board algorithms will analyze the last known location of missing neighbors and the current location of present neighbors to formulate moves to heal the breach. The mobility system will be deployed to make the required moves.

The mobility system will be based on a hopping mechanism that is actuated by a single-cylinder combustion process. Each IMLM unit will carry an on-board fuel tank and spark initiation system. For each required hop, the fuel will be metered into the cylinder and ignited. The combustion drives a piston assembly that connects to a foot at the bottom of the IMLM unit. The foot makes contact with the ground and propels the IMLM unit. The IMLM unit will also contain a righting system to properly orient itself after landing, and a steering system that provides directional control for each hop.

One resides within a grapefruit-size plastic shell, which lets it roll around to right itself after each jump. A pre-programmed microprocessor reads an internal compass and a gimbal mechanism then moves weights inside the machine appropriately.

There's also a remote controlled version in the works for the police.

http://www.sandia.gov/LabNews/LN10-20-00/hop_story.html

------------------

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-09-2001 04:50 PM
It's amazing how they manage to fit all that gadgetry inside, and still have a useful amount of HE to take out a tank!
NBK: Your idea reminds me of those little fireworks you can buy. Actually, you probably can't buy them here in the UK anymore . I can't remember what they're called, but you stick them in the ground and light the fuse at the bottom. A few seconds later, a loud explosion shoots it into the air, and it explodes at about 10 feet up. They're really fun things, and the bigger ones can be very loud.

richl261
Frequent Poster
posted 06-09-2001 06:00 PM
air bombs!

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-10-2001 09:18 AM
Yeah, that's it. I think I might have to make some if can't buy them anymore.
Maybe a lift charge of 10 grams or so of lift BP, and then have a cord attached to the ground that sets off a party-popper exploder embedded in HMTD, to set off a few grams of TNP or something. The ultimate air-bomb!

richl261
Frequent Poster
posted 06-12-2001 02:20 PM
sure you can still buy them, we had some last november, and for the new years! about £3-5 pound a packet of 3 (or 5)...cant remember...not bad though

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-12-2001 03:57 PM
Goodgood.
There's a fireworks factory outlet in Nottingham, I think I'll go and buy some this weekend

richl261
Frequent Poster
posted 06-12-2001 05:27 PM
wow, an outlet! nice, they will probably cost £3-5 for 100 probably hehe
i got mine from a joke shop in town so they were over priced by far

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 06-13-2001 06:36 AM
That was a pretty weapon NBK(the hopping mine).I was wondering what type of explosive are they using if its the commonly used composition B(RDX/TNT) or a special insensitive high explosive(IHE) of the PBX series.think about if it can bound continously,any ordinary filler would presumably detonate prematurely due to continous vibration and shock.If we have to improvise it using PETN/NC castable mix can this explosive sustain the shock?
[This message has been edited by cutefix (edited June 13, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 06-13-2001 12:36 PM
I think it'd survive it. TNT/RDX certainly would, although PETN is more sensitive. But if it can't shake around inside I think it'd do fine.

deezs
Frequent Poster
posted 07-05-2001 04:59 PM
Please HELP!!!
I have downloaded the video about these hopping mines, but I could't play it. Please you drop me a link, from where I could download a player for files with .ram extension.
(Go to http://scopes.real.com/real/player/player.html?src=downloadr,010613rpchoice_c1&dc=767574 NBK2000)

Thanx

By the way of hopping mines. I have seen in an action film - yes I used to watch TV, but now I don't waste my time - a small hopping grenade. This grenade was thrown into a house, where the hero and his girlfriend were. After the explosion the walls of the kitchen was full with long metal fragments. Unfortunately the superhero jumped into the refrigerator, and survived the explosion. I don't remember the tile of this film, but there were a few rifles in it, which shot aluminium rounds almost with the speed of light... So it was a real shit.
These hopping mines are good to demoralize the enemy, but if you fight against a well equipped army, they will find a way to clear the fields on a technical way. If your enemy is a group of guerillas, they will hide from these robots, perhaps in the mountines. (that is a perfect place for guerillas)
These mines are good for aimless destroy, but they will never win the battle for you, and can not be used where your soldiers are present. If you built in a friend identifier system, that will be an other week point of this toy.

[This message has been edited by nbk2000 (edited July 05, 2001).]

Anthony
posted 07-05-2001 06:20 PM
RealPlayer will run it: http://www.real.com
I vaugely remember that film I think it was an Arnie film and the nails from the jumping grenade pinned his hand to the fridge.

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 07-06-2001 09:12 AM
The name of that film is 'ERASER'.They use some pretty sweet weapons in that movie.
Demolition

Mick
Frequent Poster
posted 07-06-2001 10:33 AM
yeah...love that movie
altho, i hate action movies

ever since i was about 13-14 i just knew when something was just so unbelivably bullshit...which kinda spoiled it

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 07-06-2001 03:09 PM
I know what you mean, the explosions are always done with a can of petrol and some det cord, and anyone with half a brain knows instantly how unrealistic it is. But I suppose it's cheaper and gives a prettier effect than using real explosives.

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 07-07-2001 05:13 AM
What about a pnuematic design?
http://www.geocities.com/berjoni (sketch of a theoretical pnuematic hopper)
I imagine the force of hitting the ground would fire the schrader valve.
The only thing I cant think of is a way to safely Arm and disarm the device.

[This message has been edited by BoB- (edited July 08, 2001).]

Anthony
posted 07-08-2001 08:41 PM
http://www.use-the.net/robots/8ball/index.htm
Maybe the guy will actually get round to building it one day...

Skean Dhu
July 8th, 2003, 01:04 AM
yea, the movie was "ERASER" and the grenade was similar to a "bouncing-betty" landmine used by the VC during vietnam.