View Full Version : Does anyone have plans for a cannon? - Archive File

megalomania
June 21st, 2003, 01:06 PM
Teck
Frequent Poster
posted 06-17-2001 03:00 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to make a 1 or a 2 gauge cannon all cast metal with really thick walls and I want it to have a half choke. Does anyone have plans for anything simular or know where I can get some plans. If anyone have any info on what bore bit should be used or anything like that I would appreciate also Im planning on using a metal lathe for this project.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 06-17-2001 02:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My boy went and spent some time working up in a place called Flin-Flon. there was this man up there that built a cannon with 3-3 1/2" cast iron with an end cap on the one end. He didn't say how long(1m). this guy fired cannon balls out into the lake but, the neatest thing he said was this guy oaded 2o feet of chain in to this cannon with some wading and fires it in to the bush and it cut down a bunch of trees about 2-3" D like a sithe through grass. this cannon used 1 lbs BP per shot.
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

SMAG 12B/E5
Frequent Poster
posted 06-19-2001 11:51 PM
If you intend to fabricate a cannon, try to obtain a short length of oilfield "tool joint". The heavy walls of 4140 can be turned down to whatever diameter you desire, leaving an approximate bore of 2 inches. The assembly cannot be burst by black powder.

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 04:42 PM
Anyone want to donate a scanner? lol
Check for a post that i had written on the cannon i made.

I have machinist blueprints for it... but no scanner.

------------------
BaDSeeD
Knowledge is the true power, ignorance will bring your demise.

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 04:47 PM
Ok i did a search on my own and can't find the posts.
Any of the moderators. Do you know what happened to the improvised weapons archives from before January?

Thats where all the posts were.

------------------
BaDSeeD

Anthony
posted 06-20-2001 05:14 PM
I wasn't a mod back then so I'm not sure. If it was before september then it should be in the archieved thread J has put up for download.

Mexican Pizza
posted 06-20-2001 06:33 PM
Yeah, I've also always wanted to make a cannon, not a spud gun, but an actual cannon that uses BP for a propellant. I have thought about plans but it all boils down to this: a combustion chamber strong enough to withstand the pressure...

A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 06-20-2001 07:57 PM
Me and my relative made many a cannon a many a years back, most just blew apart, but the ones that worked are still in the shed with our explosive for blowing out stumps. We use a 1 inch thick walled gas pipe and a 3 inch thick steel plate and just welded the two together and drilled a hole in the side of the pipe. Our largest was 7 inch bore diamitar it used a pound and a half of BP and shot cement balls and propane cans full of course we made tomato paste cans full of AP and taped them to the valve and when they landed, booooom!!!! I bet there are still craters in old man rugges hay field, he he eh he he he eh.
------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

Anthony
posted 06-20-2001 08:25 PM
They made cannons Scrapheap Challenge, one team used a length of gas pipe and the other used a lenght of hydraulic tube. Hydraulic tube would probably be good since it's designed to withsatnd silly pressures.
I dunno how you people can afford to use a pound of BP per shot!

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-21-2001 01:53 AM
it was on "Junk Yard Wars".
maybe its something you save up for. like a penney jar, once every month (BOOM).

A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 06-21-2001 01:33 PM
No, my greatgrandfather bought a few kegs of blasting powder in 1892 and didn't use all of them, well we were cleaning out our explosives shed and found 3 kegs of it,but one of them hadn't been water proofed right(they were covered in tar but this on was coverd all the way), but the others were good, so when we couldn't find a use for it, or a place for it,(we had just got 2 55gal drums full of AN) we thought why not lets use it up in a cannon. We got about 50 shots out of just the half empty one.(and the half empty one had about 75 pounds of powder in it) he ehe ehe eh ehe he eh he he !!

!!BOOM!!

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

[This message has been edited by A-BOMB (edited June 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by A-BOMB (edited June 21, 2001).]

Anthony
posted 06-21-2001 04:49 PM
150lb kegs of century old black powder??? Not something you usually find in your shed You could just drill a hole in the remaining keg, insert a fuse, light and run like the wind
The keg that got wet, it should be once dried out shouldn't it?

A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 06-22-2001 11:11 AM
Well, it wasn't a century old only about 81 years old because we did this a few years back. And they weren't 150 pound kegs, maybe 90.
We don't have any more of the powder, we used up the rest in a giant prairy dog removal, we pored the the dud keg and a 1/4 of the last good one down the holes in the mound and fuse it with 5 feet of safety fuse and ran like hell then, BOOM we turn around and all of the grass behind us is on fire and burning prairy dogs are comeing out of the mound on fire and burning!!!!!!! too bad we didn't bring our 8mm camera we had then to record it.

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

[This message has been edited by A-BOMB (edited June 22, 2001).]

SawedOff8gaugeman
Frequent Poster
posted 06-22-2001 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by A-BOMB:
Well, it wasn't a century old only about 81 years old because we did this a few years back. And they weren't 150 pound kegs, maybe 90.
We don't have any more of the powder, we used up the rest in a giant prairy dog removal, we pored the the dud keg and a 1/4 of the last good one down the holes in the mound and fuse it with 5 feet of safety fuse and ran like hell then, BOOM we turn around and all of the grass behind us is on fire and burning prairy dogs are comeing out of the mound on fire and burning!!!!!!! too bad we didn't bring our 8mm camera we had then to record it.

A crooked way having fun ?

Anthony
posted 06-22-2001 03:23 PM
Sounds like fun I figured they were 150lb kegs as you said the half empty one contained 75lbs of BP, but anway.

A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 06-23-2001 12:24 AM
Sure it was mean, nasty, satanistic, but it was sure fun, the only bad part was it smelled to high heaven! Charred prairy dog, smoke,and burning grass aren't that good for your nose.
------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

Teck
Frequent Poster
posted 06-23-2001 12:37 AM
BaDSeeD: Can you go to the library, friends house etc. and make a scan of your plans cus I really want to make one.
I know the idea behind a simple cannon, but if you just take a steel plate and a thick walled pipe weld the two, drill a hole and use that its only good for casnnon balls and some other shit but I want to have a choke on mine so I can shoot shot out of it. Like on the shot guns the openning is narrower than the back, so when you shoot it you have a good pattern and the shot doesnt go in all the directions like a fountain.

SMAG 12B/E5: whats oilfield or tool joint?
Also I can get goex and elephant blackpowder for around $20-$30 a pound which is spendy but is cool.

PYRO500
posted 06-23-2001 02:45 AM
holy shit! that is expensive for black powder, you can get a one pound jar of pyrodex for 10-15 bucks! and you should be able to go to a blackpowder shooting store and get it for 5-7 bucks a pound!

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted 06-26-2001 06:02 PM
Teck ... this wasn't for anything like what you are describing. You just want an oversized shotgun. First off... i can tell you, that it wont work. If you have a large bore on your cannon... the weight of all that lead is going to squash the hell out of everything under it when shot. In a few of my shells i had used buckshot, with plastic media as a buffer to stop some of the deformation... but it didnt work until i brought the velocity down to where it was no longer effective.
My cannon.. by the way, used smokeless powder, was a breech loader, and used shells that were reloadable. Basiacally like oversized shotgun shells (with no crimp). I took me months to build at work, and used a hell of a lot more than a lathe. A lot of it was mill work, and some of it i programmed into a CNC because it would have taken me too long to do myself. Unless you have an entire machineshop at your disposal... this wouldnt be something for you.

My advice is forget the giant shotgun method, and go with a single projectile. Something that you can easily get plenty of ammo. I recently made a small cannon (less than an arms length), just to shoot golf balls. And i plan on making one that will shoot beer cans full of sand, cement, whatever. Although i'd like that one to have a rifled barrel

------------------
BaDSeeD

SMAG 12B/E5
Frequent Poster
posted 07-13-2001 10:56 PM
If you plan to build breech loader, and 3 inches doesn't seem unreasonable, obtain some fired 40 mm Befores shell casings. The primers can be removed, the primer hole can be reamed and threaded and replaced with an adapter drilled and reamed for 50 caliber primers (or any primer that you desire).
Try to obtain the brass cases. These are more malable and can be reused more times. These cases can be cut down to whatever length/volumn desired.