View Full Version : Pentagon Stink Bomb - Archive File

megalomania
June 21st, 2003, 01:16 PM
cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 07-09-2001 11:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The latest issue is that Pentagon is interested in Stench Warfare and is developing stink bombs.This looks likely, be an addition to their arsenal of non-lethal weapons.This was reported in abc.news.com.
It looks like anarchy crap,but the government is serious about it, maybe to effect better mob control.Majority of humanity are turned off by foul odors.Psychologists think there is a close link between nasty smell and fear and they are helping in developing this weapon.
Guys, do you think this is worthy for improvisation also?

[This message has been edited by cutefix (edited July 09, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 07-10-2001 11:54 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, that is entirely true. Things like methyl butyl merceptan (sp?) I think.
If you were the target of one of these "weapons" (seems like a silly term to use for a stink bomb!), then you'd smell this foul stench and start to feel really sick, and your immediate reaction would no doubt be "Shit, poison gas" and you'd run away. It could be used to flush people out of buildings and other similar things.
Not sure on this, but I think it's true: reacting sulphur dichloride with alkanes will produce HCl and similar VERY SMELLY compounds.

Rhadon
Frequent Poster
posted 07-13-2001 07:20 PM
The simplest stink bomb of course is H2S, but C2H5SH (ethanethiol) is much more powerful. You can smell it in concentrations of 1 part per billion (!).
I think the easiest way to synthesize it is bubbling H2S through ethanol with aluminum oxide as a catalyst. Other methods use calcium hydrogen sulfide (prepared by bubbling H2S through Ca(OH)2) and ethanol.

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 07-14-2001 12:49 AM
I think the principle of stink aroma for offensive purposes is the opposite of the desirable scents of the perfumes.There are chemicals that if used in dilute concentrations are fragrant and desirable but become offensive in higher concentrations.Take for example indoleC8H7N.(benzopyrrole) Perfumery apply it at highly diluted concentrations and smell a floral aroma;but at higher level it smells like crap(fecal odor).
This stink weapon if it happens to be fabricated will need and effective means of dispersal and it should be tenacious that it sticks to clothing and skin,and also be difficult to remove.The selection of the right chemical to fit the purpose will be somewhat challenging:It should be grossly offensive but not toxic,Mercaptans and other thiol containing materials are possible candidate so are amines,aldehydes,etc.
.Pranksters often used dead rats to scare their victims which has an offensive odor to the majority. The putrefactive odor of cadaver contains putrescineC4H12N2(tetramethylenediamine),cadaverin eC5H14N2(1,5-pentanediamine) as well as skatoleC9H9N(Methylindole),indole,various sulfides etc.Therefore an effective stink chemical is a composite of various odorous substances that have a synergistic effect for better efficiency.Rotten cadaver smell is a possible starting point for these ideas.Most of these stink chemicals are organic in origin therefore mostly nonpolar and will be easily dispersed or adsorbed in oleaginous solvents,so that when dispersed it will have tenacity to stick to surfaces it comes in contact with.

Mick
Frequent Poster
posted 07-14-2001 01:40 AM
vomit.
that is the foulest smelling thing i can think of...

whenever i smell vomit, i vomit.

intersting thought...fill water ballons with vomit, and then throw them at people =D

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 07-14-2001 03:37 AM
Vomit is a dirty as a weapon and has varying composition and smell,but we need an emetic or we have to take mild poison in order to produce it ourselves,It is discomforting to make it ourself and difficult to make in large quantities.
The stickiness of the vomit is good idea for carrier of of stench chemicals but a polymer with good rheological characteristic would look more decent;say some kind of rubber like material that sticks like napalm but of lower viscosity.

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 07-14-2001 03:40 AM
At Ace hardware stores across america there is a toilet cleaner that's main ingredient is paraformaldahyde, add a teaspoon to 2 cups of water, this is basically formaldahyde, its stench is strong, and it irritates the skin. I dont have any safety information about this, so you should read the warnings on the side of the jug.
The aerosol whipped cream's available at the grocery store make great stink bombs, buy one that uses real cream (No reduced fat or fat-free stuff) and let it sit out in a warm place for a few weeks. After the cream has turned rancid you basically have an aerosol stink bomb. you can attach a hose to the top and spray the cream under doors while people are away or spray it into bags and breifcases.

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 07-14-2001 05:19 AM
A few weeks ago i had nothing to do and
i whas thinking about that rotten egs have
a bad smell,So i putted a few egs inside
a plastic bag and let it sit for a few weeks.
After 1/2 weeks it whas ready and when
i smelled the bag for only a half a second
i immediatly got a puke reflex
(There where alot of maggot's on the bag but that had not anything to do with the puke reflex)
if i smelled it longer than a second i
certainly had to puke,so bad whas the smell it's not bad but terrible.
If someone get's this stuff on his face
he probably can't do anything against you,
so disgusting is this stuff.

I whas thinking about this stuff mixed with something to make it less thicker like water,acetone,and than poured in a spray bottle.

Or around some kind of pressure exploding device and create somekind of fog.

BTW Mick do you like sushi?
http://130.89.233.11/~superzooi/movies/xxx/page2/movies/09.zip

------------------
ÐarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1
sendtosection1@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by DarkAngel (edited July 14, 2001).]

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 07-15-2001 12:48 AM
There had been a lot of instances that,rotting substances were pelted at politicians such as rotten eggs.It was a dirty way to show the individual or groups disgust.That’s the safest way of dispersing hydrogen sulfide with a sticky carrier.Spraying spoiled material against a property is a form of vandalism and I think its not what the government have in mind.Yet, that’s also a nice idea of dispersal for stink material.Those dirty things mentioned are the easiest improvisation that can be created by anybody.
There is variable threshold of tolerance for every person regarding foul or offensive odors,and even our olfactory organs get used to it, by continuos exposure;(unless it cause nausea)or the intended victim may start to ignore it..
That’s where the psychologist skill come to play,he or she had to determine the most effective chemical from behavioral studies ,aided with the chemist recommendation from his material knowledge.Then the physiologist will evaluate the toxic effects of that particular substance selected..Then finally the military will conduct field trials to check the efficiency.
I would add, that the component for such a weapon should be made by combining chemical constituents of odorous and offensive materials in a manner similar to how the perfume maker,concocts his desirable scents,but for offensive reason..It is Dispersed in a suitable sticky carrier and filled up with effective propellant gas or explosive ,in order to scatter it effectively against the intended human target.It can be like the stun grenade whose purpose is to create temporary incapacitation not by blinding flash but repulsive stench that will sent the victim running not for cover but for open spaces or places where he can try remove that vile material that causes the odor.

Anthony
posted 07-15-2001 08:46 PM
I read about this and it is not intended effect is not to produce an offensive smell. The effect they are after is that certain smells trigger primitive responses in the subconscious brain. An example of this is that some protestors have taken lion shit to protests where they knew they'd be mounted cops (). When they lobbed the lion shit at the horses, a certain part of the smell triggers a response in the horse's brain telling it that it's about to be eaten by a predator. The effect is that the horse goes nuts and throws its rider. Of course the horse doesn't know that what lion shit smells like and doesn't know that a lion is a predator it's just a specific part of smell that the horse's brain learned millions of years ago usually means there's a predator about and the horse should get out of there ASAP.
Humans have the same response to a specific smell but the hard part was finding one that had the same effect on all races of people. I think they found a combination of two smells that worked and are going to use this.

Suddenly seeing several thousands protestors panick and run in random directions should be funny I dare say a few people will get trampled to death

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 07-15-2001 09:46 PM
In weapon application regardless if its lethal or nonlethal, pandemonium that results from it are no different from soccer match that creates polarities from rival fans,which create so much heated tempers that results to chaos and casualties..I think this should be one factor that be included in behavioral study of the weapons effect.Crowds have such hightened sensibilities that the loss the ability to resolve any event by reasonable means.
Animals behave usually by instinct,and the effect on rampaging animal driven by an offensive agent against a human crowd is equally disastrous..
It is indeed simultaneously funny and alarming how a crowd behave in the event of even a trivial incident that its not a direct threat to their lives;just like an animal,they ran pell mell to any direction trampling fellow humans as well.