View Full Version : Ammonium Perchlorate

Madog555
May 27th, 2002, 03:25 PM
hehe, i got 2lbs of NH4ClO4 recently

i did 11g Al and 80g NH4ClO4. as u can see it worked very well. initiated with ~1.5g PETN

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/madog555/APAl.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/madog555/APAl.html</a>

i also did 12ml of MNT and 80g NH4ClO4. initiated with 500mg PETN

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/madog555/APMNT.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/madog555/APMNT.html</a>

this one was ontop of a piece of 1/4 inch plywood. the crater that is near it is the one from the APAl.

i was 80-100 feet away from these and i felt the shockwave well from the APAl charge.

cutefix
May 28th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Nice Pics Madog.In your post you imply that you were impressed with the aluminum /ammonium perchlorate mixture than with the rack-a rock ammonium perchlorate mixture.
The former produces better shockwave because of the presence of aluminum.You can improve also the performance of your second composition.
As Ammonium Perchlorate can provides more oxygen than the ammonium nitrate,it has more latitudes for fuel increase than the nitrate.
You can add metals to it also.
If you try to add 7-15 grams of aluminum to the rock a rack/ammonium perchlorate mixture,I think you can produce an impressive shockwave as well….

<small>[ May 28, 2002, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: cutefix ]</small>

Madog555
May 28th, 2002, 03:44 PM
cool, i was thinking about that.

it is Rack-A-Rock made with NH4ClO4 instead of KClO3. of course it is better with NH4ClO4, there is way more gaseaus products left over.

the shockwave is definately better with the APAl

cutefix
May 30th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Your ammonium perchlorate explosive conmposition is very interesting….
There are many other ways of playing with this useful oxidant.
You can try also this mixtures I found in my very old notebook.

65%AP 25%Al/10%acetic acid this will give an estimated VOD of
6900m/s
65%AP25%Al/10%lactic acid will give slightly more power than this…
A similar ratio but with polar solvents instead of acids such as dimethylformamide and formamide will produce roughly the same power.
Glycols are suitable also….
You can use the same ratio for your nitrated naphthalenes with ammonium perchlorate and aluminum.

<small>[ May 30, 2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: cutefix ]</small>

Madog555
May 30th, 2002, 03:49 PM
that sounds good. i think i might do something like 65% AP/ 20%Al/10% ethylene glycol. i can get EG easier.

is the VOD realy that high? does anyone have the VOD of straight NH4ClO4? i smell a shaped charge...

<small>[ August 26, 2002, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Madog555 ]</small>

10fingers
May 30th, 2002, 05:23 PM

<small>[ June 12, 2002, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: 10fingers ]</small>

Madog555
May 30th, 2002, 05:34 PM
ok, i might tak a look. thankyou. im gona check out that plastique in KIPE2

cutefix
May 30th, 2002, 09:41 PM
The only reliable data I can give for detonation velocity for pure ammonium perchlorate is from
The Los Alamos Explosive Performance databook;which shows an average of 3677meters persecond as determined by Mr Panowski in 1955 at a density of 1.318 using charge diameter of 3 inch.However this trial was done with a lot of voids space about 33%.At maximum density and minimal void spaces it could reach more than 4000 meters per second.At higher diameters this will result in higher detonation velocity as well.
What makes this material interesting for explosive formulation is that it gives an oxygen balance of +34% plus its not hygroscopic as ammonium nitrate.
Compare that to ammonium nitrate which is only an OB value of +20%That is why it has more advantage if you add more energetic fuels such as metals.

Madog555
May 30th, 2002, 10:01 PM
cool, it is definately a hell of alot better than NH4NO3.

thankyou, i realy apreciate the info.

kingspaz
May 31st, 2002, 05:01 PM
has anybody tried using ammonium perchlorate with nitromethane? the ammonium ion would sensitise it (one day i'll find out why...maybe a new topic....)
it should make a superior explosive to ANNM.

cutefix
May 31st, 2002, 10:38 PM
It would be interesting to see the result with a heavily aluminized APNM explosive;say 25-35% aluminum powder.

Madog555
May 31st, 2002, 11:51 PM
im sure it would be quite impressive, i would be useing APNM if i only had NM.

Mr Cool
June 1st, 2002, 10:45 AM
Got any smokeless powder (or home-made NC)? If so, and you want another thing to try, try a mixture of about 60% AP, 20% Al and 20% SP. Mix it all up with a bit of acetone to stick it together.
I've found similar mixtures with AN to be quite sensitive and powerful, and similar mixtures with NaClO3 to be VERY sensitive. This should be more powerful than either, and have good sensitivity.

(And then you can show off to everyone that you can make PBX's with active binders, and they'll all be really impressed :D )

Madog555
June 1st, 2002, 12:09 PM
hehe, i think thats the next thing ill do, thankyou! i realy apreciate the info. that sounds AWSOME! i will have pics

xoo1246
June 2nd, 2002, 08:38 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">60% AP, 20% Al and 20% SP. Mix it all up with a bit of acetone to stick it together.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Or even better, substitute the acteone with some NM and use it fast. before the NM is evaporated. Then all components are active. Another classical is NM/AN/AL/Glass-mircrospheres.

Mr Cool
June 2nd, 2002, 09:18 AM
All the components in the mixture I mentioned are active. You let most of the acetone evapourate before you load it into the container, and then leave it for a while in the container to dry fully. Microspheres will make it easier to detonate, but I don't think they'll be necessary.
But with NM, you could probably get a nice plastique...

Zambosan
June 3rd, 2002, 01:43 PM
Wouldn't this leave lots of voids?

<small>[ July 18, 2002, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Zambosan ]</small>

Mr Cool
June 3rd, 2002, 02:34 PM
I normally let the mixture dry mostly, then crumble it up and press it into the container. No (significant) voids that way.

Madog555
June 8th, 2002, 11:23 AM
i am about to weigh out the ingrediants, what did you detonate them with mr cool? im gona go for 500mg of PETN.

Mr Cool
June 9th, 2002, 08:30 AM
I've never made that particular mixture before, but I think 500mg of PETN would work, or use 1g to be sure. It should be fairly easy to detonate.

Madog555
June 9th, 2002, 11:42 AM
yeah, im gona use my standard 500mg PETN det. i have detonated rack-a-rock many times with it and i got a complete det every time. this should work fine. ammonial is supose to be sensitive to like a #8 det and i estimate my dets to be like a #6 or #7 and NH4ClO4 is more sensitive than AN so it should be fine.

Madog555
June 16th, 2002, 12:55 PM
i tried it. very weird. i have a little story to tell...

ok, it was a normal day at my house and i was in my lab getting 50g of this stuff ready. i decided to use a ~1g PETN det. well, after it was all mixed and stuff i let it evap a little but it was still fairly gooey. i put it into a medicine bottle. fit the 50g perfect. i rode my bike into the woods to my testing grounds, set the charge and lit the son of a bitch. i ran back to my normal viewing spot. i had had a bad feeling about this so i had my bike right next to me. then all of a suden i herd "hey! what u doin!" i looked over and saw a couple walking about 75 feet down the rode which is like parrelel to my spot. so the people were about 200 feet away from the charge. i didnt say anything, i just jumped on my bike and rode like a mother. i herd the charge go off as i started to pedal. it sounded like just the detonator or a partial det. not very lound and certainly not sounding like a HE det. i was outa the woods before they knew wtf hapened.

i whent back early the folowing day to find no crater but all the grass and shit waas blown away for like a 1 foot radius. realy strange. there was the shatered botom of the medicine botle and some of the mix left. 1g of PETN didnt make a blast that big so it musta just detonated on the top, that would explain no crater.

xoo1246
June 16th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Dangerous, that's why you wan't electrical ignition and not. If you are caught with your electrical ignition you will have to leave it if you intend to run. But then you can abort if someone show up.
Try to detonate your project in very hard terrain, so that there are no people around at all.

<small>[ June 16, 2002, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: xoo1246 ]</small>