View Full Version : greek fire - Archive File

megalomania
June 21st, 2003, 01:31 PM
FLAMES
posted 06-13-2001 12:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yo, my dumbass friends are trying to find out Greek fire and three days later they ask me to find and for some reason i said yes and i was woundering someone out there could help. thanks also might be known as liquid fire

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 06-13-2001 03:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your syntax is terrible. what is it you wanted to know?

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 06-13-2001 08:38 PM
I think he want's to know what is Greek Fire.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 06-13-2001 08:44 PM
I would assume a mixture of Mg, NH4ClO4, White Phousphorus, and an oil(10w30?) might be worth a try. Just a guess though...any others
ps. I thought the seceret of "Greek Fire" was one of those thatw as lost through the ages.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

FLAMES
posted 06-13-2001 09:44 PM
thanx to all. and i know that greek fire was lost i tried to tell me frinds that but they just dont listein.

Anthony
posted 06-13-2001 10:38 PM
I remember reading a bookz that contained a lot of information on Greek Fire including it's composition. But I can't find it now, the book also included information on the origins of black powder and yellow (fulminating) powder.
I think it was a mix of tar, oil, kno3 and a bunch of other stuff. It was syphoned from vats from tubes mounted on boats, like a syphon powered flame thrower.

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 06-13-2001 10:44 PM
Hello Flames ,check this out: http://www.greece.org/Romiosini/greek_fire.html and http://www.bartleby.com/65/gr/Greekfir.html
[This message has been edited by cutefix (edited June 13, 2001).]

Jumala
Frequent Poster
posted 06-14-2001 08:26 PM
This is what I found about greek fire.
But I have some problems to translate it properly.
Marcus Graecus
In the celebrated book of Marcus Graecus, Liber ignium ad comburendos hostes, Greek fire and other incendiaries are described fully, as is also black powder and its use in rockets and crackers. This work was quoted by the Arabian physician, Mesue, in the ninth century, and was probably written during the eighth.
Greek fire is made as follows: take sulfur, tartar, sarcocolla, pitch, melted saltpeter, petroleum oil, and oil of gum, boil all these together, impregnate tow with the mixture, and the material is ready to be set on fire. This fire cannot be extinguished by urine, or by vinegar, or by sand.

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 06-15-2001 01:00 AM
Therefore greek fire is an ancient form of incendiary,the forerunner of napalm.It indicates that it contain petroleum like substances plus an oxidizer(saltpeter)to make a better blaze.I presume it will stick to any surface where it is tossed an continue blazingand difficult to extinguish.

angelo
Frequent Poster
posted 06-15-2001 01:55 AM
greek fir was the first kind of flame throwers around. the used to shoot the liquid through pressure pipes, kind of like a large hyberdermic (sp?) needle.
it was a mixture of oil and tar.

------------------
if our society had shown me a path other than violence, I would have taken it.
angelo's place | have a good link? add it here | go to the OZ Forum

PYRO500
posted 06-15-2001 04:58 AM
I read in a book that the true components of greek fire were unknown and may not have even existed at the time ( it was a weapon of fear and maybee lies). the greek fire they refer to was a chemical that is in clay balls and is fired from a trebuchet and ignites on the breaking of the shell, the stuff you say that they shot from boats ts something else and I cant remember the name of it it was described as a chemical that set the water ablaze so it sounds like burning oil to me.

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 06-15-2001 12:17 PM
correct me if im wrong but to get oil to light on fire is not difficult task but not easy also so there must be another additive to ignite it.

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 06-17-2001 04:24 AM
How about if it contain a mixture of hydrocarbons with different flash point.The more volatile portion might ignite first,t hen an ignition" train"will result.

A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 06-21-2001 04:28 PM
I heard somewhere that Greek Fire could only be exstingwished if you dumped vinigar on it or pissed on it,or threw sand ontop of it. And if you pored water on it the fire would only get bigger.
------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

[This message has been edited by A-BOMB (edited July 08, 2001).]

SawedOff8gaugeman
Frequent Poster
posted 07-08-2001 03:48 PM
Greek Fire was an ancient flamethrower fuel that ignited itself in contact with sweat, blood or any other liquid containing water. It contained Naptha, sulphur, resin and some other chemical ( I can't remember it's name or formula ) involving Ca.
Greek Fire was sprayed by giant syringes, sometimes installed in a ship or boat. There were also portable models which were used by 1-4 men, depending on the size of the siphon.

jin
Frequent Poster
posted 07-08-2001 04:28 PM
i got this from some book
1/3 naptha 1/6 sulphur 1/6 saltpetre 1/3 calcium oxide the calcium oxide reacts with water to keep the mixture burning someway when water gets put on it.it was used in sea warfare because of this

SawedOff8gaugeman
Frequent Poster
posted 07-16-2001 03:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SawedOff8gaugeman:
It contained Naptha, sulphur, resin and some other chemical involving Ca.

quote:
Originally posted by jin:
1/3 naptha 1/6 sulphur 1/6 saltpetre 1/3 calcium oxide

Missed the saltpetre It's almost there! The greek fire's ingredients. I think saltpeter is there to help in reaction while resin's function is to make the greek fire sticky .?

vulture
June 21st, 2003, 02:50 PM
Salpeter = oxidizer to make it burn under water
CaO = used because it releases alot of heat in contact with water, as the main fire extinguishing effect of water is it's large heat capacity.
The rest is simply fuel.

Chem_of_Explos
July 24th, 2003, 05:01 AM
I have made Greek Fire using the traditional petroleum, calcium oxide, and sulfur recipy. For my petroleum I used Gasoline. I dumped it in a bucket of water but it did not self ignite, but once I lit it....WOW. really cool violent flames on the surface of the water! This summer I am going to try and add aceatle chloride to make it self ignite on contact with water.