View Full Version : chlorate or perchlorate? - Archive File

megalomania
June 21st, 2003, 05:05 PM
kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 07-02-2001 04:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well i electrolised some NaClO3 for about 4 days. today i boiled alot of the water away so the NaClO4 could crystalise. the problem is i'm not sure if i boiled enough water off or i electrolised it long enough so i could be left with the chlorate or perchlorate in the pan. i was wondering if there is a way to tell which is NaClO3 and which is NaClO4. i was thinking along the lines of crystal structure. does anybody have any information or know anything about how i can tell the difference?

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 07-02-2001 04:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NaClO3 is in the form of two square-based pyramids on top of each other. KClO4 is normally needle-like crystals, I don't know about NaClO4.

Rhadon
Frequent Poster
posted 07-07-2001 06:38 PM
This will probably help you:
http://huizen.dds.nl/~wfvisser/EN/analysis_EN.html

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 07-08-2001 09:02 AM
thanks guys. i think i have impure NaClO4 so i'll have to recrystalise it and convert it to the potassium salt. i don't really need it for anything i just made it to see if i could.