View Full Version : pyrotechnic training/courses - Archive File

megalomania
June 22nd, 2003, 02:28 PM
skunkdude
posted 07-05-2001 09:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a strong desire to become a pyrotechnician and I would like to ask the members of the forum that live in the uk for some info. I have just left school and i am soon to be starting a chemistry A level at collage which will be my first step in the right direction. I was wondering if their are any special courses dealing with pyrotechnics which I could do at collage/university. Is there such thing as a pyrotechnics degree? Once I complete any courses/training I might do, will finding work be difficult? Any information would be extremely helpful.

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 07-06-2001 01:37 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
try some tertiary education centres. in australia we have tafe - tertiary and further education. They offer all sort of courses and are not expensive. There must be the equivilent there.
On the highway the other day, there was a sign up advertising pyrotechnical cources by a local technician. i think i'll have to check it out

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 07-06-2001 08:32 AM
i was thinking about doing the same thing but decided not to because of there just isn't a demand for blowing things up in the uk anymore since many mines have now closed. i think what i'm going to do is do A level chemistry and physics then do a chemistry course at university. i think i'll head towards the research section because i've heard of £100,000 a year earnings!!

ANTI-SYSTEM
Frequent Poster
posted 07-06-2001 01:03 PM
join your millitery and go for a demo team of some kind. that will get u somewhere

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 07-06-2001 03:52 PM
There are three day courses organised by the HSL and DERA every year, they cost £400 IIRC. I'll try and find the details for you. I doubt it'd teach many people anything they didn't already know, but it'd be necessary for any career in that field.

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted 07-06-2001 07:19 PM
I think Loughborough Uni run a pyrotechnics course.
For training try:

www.ribbands.co.uk - Commercial training, although it's worth a look

www.iexpe.org - Institute of Explosive Engineers

Also, I remember a post, quite recent I think, which included info on being able to hold a license if your work area was remote and you were certified 'sane'. Any further info on this??

mongo blongo
Frequent Poster
posted 07-07-2001 02:08 PM
im intrested as well i just finished a chemestry A-level course and want to do something in this field. there is a large company called Hanson that deals with many things like quarry blasting and things like that. they have a three week work experience for people who are intrested. They pay for people who want a job with them to go to university and get a degree (dont know what degree)which is pritty cool!
i am looking into this!
If i find anything else out i will inform u!

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 07-08-2001 07:31 AM
Loughborough uni does a pyro course?? Shit, no-one told me that!

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted 07-08-2001 06:12 PM
Yes they did, I did!
I have also heard that DERA - The govornment defense research section (which I think is changing it's name to 'QenetiQ') do training courses / work experience

skunkdude
posted 07-09-2001 07:54 AM
sweet! keep me informed mongo.

mongo blongo
Frequent Poster
posted 07-16-2001 11:06 PM
Found out u have to be 19 for them to take u on. Im still 18 that's fuckin gay!

J
posted 07-17-2001 06:29 AM
My plan is to get a decent job when I leave uni, and possibly move to the States where it's much easier to get a license for explosives, and IIRC it's legal to make fireworks in some states without a license. If I don't do this, I'll have plenty of money for a decent home lab, and I'm good at not getting caught ;-) I might move to Australia instead, there's not much likelyhood of getting caught in the outback, and I'd like to live there anyway.
You could join the TA, where you'll get explosives training. Forget it if you've got a problem with authority and neatness (like me), and you'll have to put in a lot of time and commitment.

The main problem with choosing this as a career from what I can see is lack of demand. It might be better to get a well paid job, and persue this in your spare time. I may be wrong though!

It might be worth getting a black powder license for musket shooting etc, then you might have a better chance of getting a pyro manufacturing license (previous experience etc).

You might want to check out the PyroUK mailing list. Send an email to PyroUK-subscribe@onelist.com to get on the list. It's worth subscribing to, even though it goes days without messages sometimes. There are some professional pyro's on the list, who can give you an informed answer.