View Full Version : formaldehyde toxicity - Archive File

megalomania
June 22nd, 2003, 02:33 PM
kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 07-07-2001 06:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i read on a site that was linked from here that a by product of RDX manufacture (can't remember the process letter...think it was E, it used nitric anyways) is formaldehyde. i've read from various sources that formaldehyde is carcinogenic. i've searched on altavista and found out that its been linked to leuchemia, nasal cancer, lung cancer and some others cancers i can't remember. is formaldehyde a strong carcinogen or would you need decades of contact with it to develop cancer?
[This message has been edited by kingspaz (edited July 07, 2001).]

jin
Frequent Poster
posted 07-07-2001 07:05 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i think its long term contact that causes cancer.i read somewhere it was slightly more toxic than hydrazine when taken by mouth not sure about vapours breathed in.

John456
Frequent Poster
posted 07-07-2001 12:21 PM
I think its the other way around, vapors are more toxic than taking it by mouth. I knew a kid when i was in high school that swallowed a small piece of a clam they were dissecting because some other kid was paying him. He had to go to the hospital but nothing happened long term, and he doesnt have cancer as far as i know, although hes likely to get it someday. Also, ive heard on the news once that some rapist was getting his victims by holding a rag of formaldehyde to their nose, and supposedly they would immediately fall unconcious.

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 07-07-2001 04:56 PM
so would it be kind of like smoking? smoking causes cancer but only if you do it for years. does anybody have any information on its toxicity in relation to other chemicals? i know some people here use it for making RDX so what precautions do you people take when using it?

hardliner
posted 07-07-2001 06:10 PM
This is from pmjb 1
"A much better irritant is formaldehyde.Better known as embalming fluid,it smells horrible,hurts the eyes and nose,and on expososure to the air it vaporirizes,making a room uninhabitable for hours."

nitroglycast
posted 07-09-2001 12:25 PM
SCUSE-ME FOR MY ENGLISH
I have make one melange of formaldehyde and ammoniac for manufacture of hexamine and i have boil the melange.The vapors of this melange are it toxic ?

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 07-09-2001 05:05 PM
it probably will be toxic as it contains formaldehyde so will give off formaldehyde vapour before the reaction is completed. does anybody know how safe it is to handle and if i would be risking cancer handling it?

jin
Frequent Poster
posted 07-09-2001 05:39 PM
heres some health information on formaldehyde
www.mednets.com/toxicology-Formaldehyde.htm
small amounts of formaldehyde and hydrazine are found in tobacco smoke.

[This message has been edited by jin (edited July 09, 2001).]

cutefix
Frequent Poster
posted 07-09-2001 10:36 PM
A lot of things are carcinogenic,due to the presence of pollutants the air we breath can be carcinogenic also, yet we are not worried much about it.These cancer paranoia is a deterrent to progress .If we just take good care that we do our chemical experiments seriously,and observe proper safety in our work- we can outlive cancer worries and at the same time achieve the fruits of our labors.