View Full Version : Sensitizing agent for AN - Archive File

megalomania
June 25th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Jumala
Frequent Poster
posted February 28, 2001 11:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nitromethane is a well known sensitizer
but does anyone know something about other possibilities.
I was thinking about NG dissolved in acetone
(perhaps with some fuel oil added).
But how much NG would be nessesary to do a good job.
Has anyone a idea?

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted February 28, 2001 11:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well NG by itself would do a good job of detonating AN anyway. If you are crazy enough to make it, just use a strait NG detonater.
------------------
...Æ

shady mutha
Frequent Poster
posted March 01, 2001 12:33 AM
Cook and Talbot found that the highest sensitiveness of ammonium nitrate to initiation by detonation exists when ammonium nitrate contains 0.75-1.5% of paraffin oil.It can be detonated by a No6 detonator.
Brinkly and Gordon have shown that some compositions can be brought to detonation with considerable ease,and the maximum sensitiveness is at ca.2.4% of oil content.
This was confirmed by Van Dolah.The latter also determined the rate of detonation of paper cartridges of prilled ammonium nitrate with 4% fuel oil at a density of 0.95.
in a 1.25 in dia------2980m/sec(No 8 detonator)
in 1.87 in dia ------3750-3760m/sec(No 6 and 8 detonators.
An unconfirmed hypothesis was also formulated that ammonium nitrate in the presence of sulfuric acid undergoes dehydration to the formation of nitramine which is a strong and unstable explosive compound.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted March 01, 2001 02:51 PM
I think sometimes people put some Al powder into a mix of AN to sensitize it a bit. Maybe it is just added to increase heat of explosion though. I'm not sure from what I read.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted March 01, 2001 03:55 PM
Al can react with NH4NO3 and spontaneously burn/detonate.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted March 15, 2001 04:43 AM
Not if the mix is perfectly dry!!!! And if hydrophobic components are used like TNT,NG,... that reduce the hygroscopicity of the NH4NO3 (by enabling it's free contact with moisturised air...)
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted March 15, 2001 04:45 AM
Everything is also a question of reactivity of the Al powder (its mesh size and the thickness of the oxyd layer arround Al metal particles).

hmtd
July 29th, 2003, 07:58 PM
I heard that the sensitivity of AN can be increased tremendously if one adds @10% Potassium Perchlorate to powdered AN. Then add your favorite fuel ( Ie. NM or diesel ). This will make the comp sensitive to a #6 cap or a high velocity rifle bullet. The Tannerite rifle targets use a similar approach. Several water-gel comps also use Potassium Perchlorate to achieve the necessary sensitivity so the comp will shoot in small diameter holes. From what I've heard any of the common Perchlorates will work, but Chlorates are to be avoided!!!!

Mr Cool
July 30th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Ammonium perchlorate would certainly be a good one, hasn't someone here tried AmmPer with various fuels already and found it to be sensitive?
I had heard that Tannerite targets were actually ANNM sensitised with a low percentage of KClO3??

yt2095
July 30th, 2003, 09:25 AM
just out of curiosity,

I`m assuming that the above compounds in the last 2 posts are mixed on site or certainly not stored or transported pre-mixed?

I`m fairly sure (not 100% though) that Nitrogen Chlorides (gasses I beleive) can form and are highly sensitive? certainly they say to avoid it in electrolysis anyway.

anyone?

rooster
July 30th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Actually NCl3 is a yellow liquid, so at least it wont be gassing of continously. It is pretty sensitive anyway, though...

Al Nobel
July 30th, 2003, 07:08 PM
"I had heard that Tannerite targets were actually ANNM sensitised with a low percentage of KClO3??"

Isn`t that a sort of calculated suicide? Chlorate and Nitrate would form Ammoniumchlorate and thats something nobody wants to handle.

rp3o8
July 30th, 2003, 07:32 PM
I believe someone mentioned, in a previous thread about tannerite, that the mixture used is ammonium nitrate sensitized with zirconium hydride and aluminum powder.

Ah here it is, http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=294&highlight=zirconium

and here’s the patent that was referred to, http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=4304614.WKU.&OS=PN/4304614&RS=PN/4304614

hmtd
August 2nd, 2003, 12:01 AM
Acording to Daniel Tanner, his targets are composed of ammonium nitrate and ammonium perchlorate and are sensitzed with zirconium hydride and titanium sponge. The patent you are referring to deals with some other invention. It is possible that Tanner used part of that invention to create his invention. According to his advertisment for his targets, his patent is still pending. The key to his invention in making the AN more sensitive, was to add the perchlorate. Leaving the perchlorate out would pervent his invention from working when hit by a rifle bullet. I heard this is the reason that small diameter AN gels use sodium perchlorate, otherwise they won't shoot in small diameter holes with just a blasting cap. Gels that are used in large diameter holes, usually exclude the perchlorate in lieu of a nitrate for the oxygen balance. These gels require a large booster to work, and are classified as blasting agents due to the lack of sensitivity.