View Full Version : Molten AP - Archive File

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Morrigan
Frequent Poster
posted January 31, 2001 02:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard that molten A.P holds much more power compared to compressed A.P because of the higher density. If this is true than I guess that melting A.P into a copper/aluminum tube would make a damn strong detonator. I know it would also make a damn “nice” deathtrap but I came up with a kind of stupid (I think it sounds quite Ke\/\/L) but possibly useful and “relatively” safe way to do this. The meting point of A.P is 91 degrees Celsius, if Mega is correct. Theoretically you could bring some water to a gentle boil over a heat source with the detonator (a soft metal tube with A.P inside closed at one end by a plug and at the other end by tissue paper and a thick layer of wax) tied to a rope hanging approximately 5-10, (the more the better) meters above it, then remove the heat source, measure the exact temperature of the water which would be very near to 100, add some ice to the water and when it reaches 93 deg. take a lot of distance and lower the detonator into the water with the rope while you are as many meters away as you feel to be necessary, safe from shrapnel. (It will be tricky to make it come down exactly in the water bath but you could place the detonator in a larger tube placed above it (the water) to guide the thing down. I suppose that by the time you are ready to lower the thing the temperature of the water bath would be about 91 deg. I would feel a lot safer doing this than pressing it to a tube with my hands exposed to a possible blast, I am very fond of my hands you know…the down side is that the detonator would be extreme sensitive afterwards, so no crimping, taping, dropping or whatever. It would be risky so DON’T try this, I was just a assumption. Somebody I know already heated a very small amount of A.P that was about 3 weeks old over a Bunsen burner in an aluminum dish and it Boiled without detonating, exposing it directly to the flame caused immediate detonation!! This however does NOT mean that ALL A.P is insensitive to heat. He will try this soon, so tips and or comments would be very welcome.
Because my native language is not English I had some difficulty explaining myself, I hope you’ll understand what I meant.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Morrigan (edited January 31, 2001).]

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted January 31, 2001 02:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You did a good job,i understood,but this is a ver unsafe idea. I have once saw in a dream AP that detonated by being directly sprayed by one of thouse nifty steam cleaners, and also I have seen a demonstration in science class where a match was lit by water vapors,so just because you boil it, does not mean it won't go by heat.

[This message has been edited by endotherm (edited January 31, 2001).]

Morrigan
Frequent Poster
posted January 31, 2001 04:05 PM
Its indeed true that the H2O gas/steam directly above boiling water can reach temperatures far beyond 100 deg.C but I was hoping that this wouldn’t be the case because of the fact that the heat source has been removed and the water is slowly cooling down, starting with the air above it. You could also use cooking oil instead, it does not heat much of the surrounding air and does not evaporate very much. However it remains a very unsafe plan that deserves some decent testing.

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted February 01, 2001 05:10 AM
I dreamd(Funny dreams whe all have ,,)that i have putt a little bit of Ap on a knife and hold it above the flame till it`s melt then it detonated with a loud PAAANNGGG!!!!
Molted Ap is <> I dunnot think it`s a good idea to do this,,,PS Morrigan I have send you 3/4 e-mails why tha %#*$! don`t you reply back?
Are gonna buy the Nitromethane from that shop?
------------------
--==DarkAngel==--

Go to Section1 <a href="http://www.section1.f2s.com" target="_blank">http://www.section1.f2s.com</a> Alot off Bombs/Explosives and Homemade Weapons!!,,,Plus a <<Forum>>!!!

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted February 01, 2001 07:14 AM
I have also tried to melt AP. I did it on an up-turned lightbulb, and later in a test-tube over a flame. I never had it detonate with the lightbulb, but it would go just about every time in the test-tube. An interesting thing was that nothing happened with the glass test-tube.
Anyway, I'd reccomend you pressed it instead.
If you are going to do this you'd need a large setup anyway, so just make a homemade loading press in which a wooden dowel is attached to a lever. Then you can put up a shield of some kind from behind which you can pull the lever. Besides when the AP hardened I'm convinced there would be spaces in the mass because AP is so strongly crystalline.

Anthony
posted February 01, 2001 10:40 AM
The thing with the solidified AP ist hat it would effectively be one giant super-crystal and extremely sensitive, Imagine if it cracked!

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted February 02, 2001 07:15 AM
Right; melting and solidifying a solid will result in large imbricated cristalls unless you use cristall grows interacting substances.
Cristalls have a bad habit when they are big; they displays irregularities in the cristall patern leading to innerstress regios....much more sensitive to friction, shock and heat.
The detonator made by that process would be as sensitive and doubtfull to use as NH3NI3... I would never handle such a thing; will you?
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o )"