View Full Version : NaClO3 + S + C - Archive File

megalomania
June 26th, 2003, 11:23 AM
the_wingman
Frequent Poster
posted March 06, 2001 12:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What would be the products of this reaction?
Or does sb know the ideal mixture of these components for producing a low explosive?
Plz don't tell me not to mix sulfur with chlorates.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted March 06, 2001 04:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This looks like NaClO3 black powder, the products could be something like NaCl, SO, SO2, CO2, CO.
I'm not particularly good at chemistry, so my results could be unreliable.

Why do you want to know, anyway?

P.S. You shouldn't mix sulfur with chlorates

the_wingman
Frequent Poster
posted March 07, 2001 01:18 PM
If I know the products of the reaction I'll be able to calculate the ideal mixture.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted March 07, 2001 02:50 PM
There will be loads of different things, so you'll have to do it through experimentation.
Normal gunpowder, for example, produces:
SO2
CO
CO2
K2CO3
CH4
H2
KHCO3
K2SO4
and a few other things, not in that order.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted March 09, 2001 08:14 AM
I have already made those calculations and producing NaCl, CO2, CO, SO2 or KCl, CO2, CO SO2; guess what I got the famous mix ratio of the most powerful chlorate explosive (deflagrating readily in the open in less than 3g and detonating when confined (I'm sure of it because in an enclosed room where it exploded from a flame-fuse, I only found pieces of 7mm*7mm (maximum size of the schrapnels). The walls of the iron tube where 5mm thick, lenght 25cm, diameter 3cm ....I got the same schrapnels results with dry hydrazine nitrate and a detonator of 5g silver acetylide nitrate/nickel nitrate hydrazinate (50/50 mix)....thus yes it has detonated.
The mix has to be done with activated carbon dust (very fine) otherwise you don't have the fast burning effect:
With normal carbon dust when making a fuse with the powder, it goes like 1s/1cm while with active carbon, the fuse went boom when you light it up (less than 1s/40cm).
So what's the mix, you will say: easy, by a pure accident it is the same as the average black powder KClO3/S/C 75g/12.5g/12.5g...
This powder is very brisant and is friction, static-electricity, acidity and ammonia sensitive; thus a good idea is to add some CaCO3 (2%) and not to try to pack as much as possible in a pipe!!!!!The activ carbon also catches gasses like ClO2 and thus ensure a little more security!!!! NaClO3 is hygroscopic what KClO3 is not thus KClO3 is much more effective but also much more powerfull and sensitive....
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

the_wingman
Frequent Poster
posted March 10, 2001 01:49 PM
Thanks very much for this information!
But where can I get activated charcoal?

Anthony
posted March 10, 2001 07:44 PM
Pet shops - as an aquarium filter medium.

the_wingman
Frequent Poster
posted March 11, 2001 03:42 AM
Wow, pet-shops are even more useful than I thought. I get my H2O2 from them, too.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted March 11, 2001 05:42 PM
Any seemingly innocent shop can be used to your advantage. A skill in life, is to be able to use things to your advantage.