View Full Version : Stabilising NI3 - Archive File

megalomania
June 26th, 2003, 11:35 AM
nbk2000
posted March 23, 2001 04:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ran across a site that details using agar (like gelatin) to stabilize NI3. They could transport it 40 miles with no explosion. But the material was still explosive after drying.
Here's a short GIF movie of exploding NI3.

http://genchem.chem.wisc.edu/demonstrations/Movies/ni3.gif

For the actual movie, go to http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/JCESoft/CCA/CCA0/MOVIES/NI3IOD.mov

http://www.acornusers.org/education/Thesis/TOC.html

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted March 23, 2001 07:39 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know the VOD for NI3.I've looked around but I can't seem to find an answer.
Demolition

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted March 23, 2001 12:18 PM
"The use of sound as a detonator"
Now this opens up a whole new range of possibilities for parents the world over - "I warned you what would happen the next time you played your stereo too loud . . ."

Seriously though, the relationship between the resonant frequency of a mass of NI3 and its explosive sensitivity really got the wheels turning. This relationship suggests it might be possible using principles of harmonics and acoustic focusing to "tailor" the properties of a detonating charge to favor the resonant frequency of a bulk explosive (or that of its crystal component), thereby achieving reliable detonation with a minimum initiating charge. Granted that NI3 is extraordinarily sensitive, but the principle should be valid across the board.

Interesting paper on desensitizing NI3, but would I fool with this stuff? Not on your life!

Interesting movie too, but I have to wonder how they were even able to place the NI3 on those filter papers when even a feather touch is sufficient to set the stuff off.

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted March 23, 2001 12:30 PM
im pretty sure they put it on there wet and let it dry. It aint quite as sensitive when wet.

nbk2000
posted March 23, 2001 02:30 PM
I just had an idea:
Place a quantity of NI3 on a bottle of a chemical that is highly reactive with iodine.

Such chemical reacting with iodine to form either toxic gas or burning flame.

When the NI3 explodes, it shatters the bottle, the 2 chemicals mix, and a burst of fire ignites. Of course, if the bottle where filled with NG instead....

Oh, BTW, the NI3 was made in the very filter papers it's exploded in.