View Full Version : methenamine/hexamine manufacture? - Archive File

megalomania
June 26th, 2003, 12:24 PM
BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted March 02, 2001 01:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry to ask a question that has probably been answered already... but I cant seem to search up any results. Yes I checked the forum, and yes I checked the synthesis section on megalomania's site.
I know I have read this somewhere, and probably had it saved on my hard drive (before it crapped out on me). Can someone describe the method for hexamine/methenamine manufacture? I've never made HMTD before, and would like to try it, as I am a little fed up with crappy AP yields. I can't seem to find a source to buy it from locally, so that leaves me with the alternative of making it.

To all moderators:
This may not be the best place to ask this question, but as it is FOR HMTD (an explosive peroxide) it seemed like the best choice. I have a suggestion though. If you revamp the forum again... how about adding an "improvised chemicals" section, or "chemical synthesis" section.
Might be a good idea.

------------------
BaDSeeD
Knowledge is the true power, ignorrance will bring your demise.

vehemt
Frequent Poster
posted March 02, 2001 04:52 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You could try surplus stores north of the border.

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted March 02, 2001 08:50 PM
I know KIPE (I think one, but maybe two) has it in there. I believe I have posted that chapter (Hexamine Manufacture) before, but you said you couldn't find it. If you need, I will post it again. Also, if you live in the US (check even if you don't), look in an Army Surplus store. I bought three bottles a couple days ago. The bottle is white and says:
"HEXAMINE TABLETS
(Compressed Fuel)
Stock No. T908
Contains 6 Tablets
KEEP DRY".

It costs (me) $1.75 USD. The tube is about 1" in diameter by 3" in length. Also it said you get a 20% discount if you can provide a military ID or a couple other things.

[This message has been edited by Cricket (edited March 02, 2001).]

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted March 03, 2001 11:49 AM
400g ammonia water (5%)
54g formaldehyde (37%)
Mix in shallow pyrex dish, let evaporate. Collect crystals.

green beret
Frequent Poster
posted March 04, 2001 06:06 AM
Does anyone know a way of removing the wax coating on Hexamine fuel tablets? Mine are coated in wax and I want to get it off because I am going to atempt to make RDX.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted March 04, 2001 08:50 AM
green beret, try putting the tablets on a radiator, or maybe putting the tablets in front of one of those electric heaters (on the highest heat).

10fingers
Frequent Poster
posted March 04, 2001 01:05 PM
To purify hexamine get some methanol, put it in a jar and place in hot water. Dissolve as much hexamine as will go into solution, The impurities will settle to the bottom, take off of heat and let settle for a minute, pour off liquid and place this in the freezer. In a few hours the hexamine will crystallize out.
[This message has been edited by 10fingers (edited March 04, 2001).]

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted March 06, 2001 12:47 PM
I have honestly never seen an Army surplus store in Ontario, might be worth a look though. But thanks for the info on the synthyesis. I'll use that as a last resort if I can't find a supply.
As for the hydrogen peroxide, I read in one of the posts that someone found 30% as a "chlorine free pool oxidizer". Has anyone seen this? Got a brand name? Or a chain store that carries it? I'm sick of 3%.

------------------
BaDSeeD
Knowledge is the true power, ignorrance will bring your demise.

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted March 06, 2001 05:13 PM
Nevermind, did a little searching and answered my own question.
I found a very helpfull site that is not only a source for it, but also told me that it was 27% hydrogen peroxide.

http://stores.yahoo.com/spastore/baquacilshock.html

$13.75 per gallon isn't that bad, and it shouldn't be hard to find locally anyhow.