View Full Version : AP First-Timer - Archive File

megalomania
June 26th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted March 11, 2001 03:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys,
I've finally gotten the gutts up to make AP and I was hoping you all could give me any tips/cautions and if anyone knows where to get The chemicals (I'm on the eastern sea board) And another thing....Can I just use a plastic bucket and a couple mason jars to make it? maybe I can find a glass sturrer and a thermometer somwhere.((Found 10% Hydrochloric acid in wal-mart the other day...will that work ?))

------------------
"Oh Sh".::BOOM:(later
in front of saint peter))
"it"

[This message has been edited by Sgt_Starr (edited March 11, 2001).]

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted March 11, 2001 10:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) any glass jar will do
2) a 10% HCl solution will work the acid
is only a catalyst
3) you can find 3% H2O2 in any drug stor
4) you can get acetone in a hardware store
just ask for a paint solvent, or
something to clean your pain brushes with
remember to place the reaction vessel in an ice bath or 'frig so the reaction is cold throughout the entire thing. filter the AP when the reaction is done. WASH it by running it under water. store the AP in a glass jar with water in it. remember that AP reacts with metals so don't put AP in any metal container.

------------------
...Æ

Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted March 11, 2001 10:37 PM
Thanks! How do I get the Crystals off of the wall of the jar?(if you dont mind...could you explains what happens when the chems are mixed. you said the acid is only a catalyst what does that meen? does the acid take the atoms apart so that they can rearrange?)
------------------
"Oh Sh".::BOOM::((later
"it"

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted March 11, 2001 11:32 PM
when i say the acid is a catalyst, what i mean is that the H+ ions fill gaps between the molecules that make AP so they don't have to travel as far, thus speeding up the reaction and making it so not as much energy is needed to complete it. (this also transltes into a faster reaction time.)
You can get the crystals off the walls of the glass jar by just filling the jar with water and dumping it out. over and over again untill you are satisfied with the amount of AP you are actually going to lose. i would suggest filling the jar with water and washing your AP with it, (kind kills two birds with one stone.)

now assuming you are using a 10% HCl solution, 100% acetone and 3% H2O2, you will only observe a slight increase in temp when mixing all of the various chemicals together. in time, as the reaction takes place, you will begin to see tiny white crystals forming. nothing to drastic, with these chemicals it all will be a gradual process.

------------------
...Æ

Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 08:34 AM
I owe you man. just 3 more questions...
1.)I know how much H2O2 and Acetone to use but with 10 % HCI what amount should I use?
2.) How much acetone should this make using megas recipe.
3.) will the store bought brand of H2O2 bring my yeild down any?
Thanks man you really have been alot of help!

------------------
"it"

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 01:38 PM
I've got a tip: if it's your first time, you won't need anything as big as a bucket! Make a gram or two at a time, no more!

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 04:01 PM
I don't even know what Mega's recipe is. i can tell you that 200mls of acetone + 400mls of 3% H2O2 will produce about 3/4ths-1 cup of UNCOMORESSED AP. uncompressed means even by its own weight when it is all fluffy and shit. but if it is your first time i wouldn't make that much. make about half that. and for the amount of HCl. it doesn't matter how much you use. in the end you will get the same amount of AP. the amount of HCl you use will determine the time it takes to get the 3/4ths cup so don't worry about it. use like... about half a cup of it.
------------------
...Æ

[This message has been edited by CragHack (edited March 12, 2001).]

Anthony
posted March 12, 2001 05:49 PM
Use 100ml 3% H202 18ml acetone and about 10ml HCl. You can use whatever volumes you like as long as you adjust them all proportionally.

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 06:44 PM
Ok I have a question does anyone know a brand name that I can but HCL or Sulfuric acid as. I did do a search so please dont say do a search thanks.

Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 07:35 PM
You could go to wal-mart and get the brand im getting. ITs called hth it should be 2 little bottles one is red or you could go to pyrotek.org and get 38% HCI for 20$
I think I might just go ahead and get the 38% HCI so the reaction time will be faster.
------------------
"it"

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 07:38 PM
I would go to pyrotek.org but
1)No CC
2)No PO box or unused address to ship it to

Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 07:41 PM
Ok guys I need to get my money saved up(take me about a week) Crag you were talking about uncompressed? do you usually compress it? Im going to use your recipe and if I get that down I want to start making AP fire crackers.....after that Im going to try somthing bigger....first things first though.
------------------
"it"

Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 07:45 PM
Why don you just send it to your home address man? Why would they suspect anything bad from HCI?
------------------
"it"
[This message has been edited by Sgt_Starr (edited March 12, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sgt_Starr (edited March 12, 2001).]

Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 07:50 PM
Ok guys I need to get my money saved up(take me about a week) Crag you were talking about uncompressed? do you usually compress it? Im going to use your recipe and if I get that down I want to start making AP fire crackers.....after that Im going to try somthing bigger....first things first though.
------------------
"it"

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted March 13, 2001 08:39 PM
It is not about them suspecting anything it is whena package arrives at the door with a lable with my name on it possible saying acid on it when my parents will start asking questions

Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted March 13, 2001 08:51 PM
Reality check! They will find out about it man unless you have a workshop with a seperate frig and you can sneak the ice besides what if they find the ap drying and think its crack so they go to throw it in trash....I dont even want to go there! What if they walk in while you are in the middle of synthesis? WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Splash!! there goes all reproductive equipment ~
Dont meen to harpe on you but just be carefull of who has access to where you dry,store,make and test your stuff or you could possibly get somone hurt.
------------------
"it"

[This message has been edited by Sgt_Starr (edited March 13, 2001).]

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted March 31, 2001 03:08 PM
Just be careful. Remember that AP is VERY sensitive. Don't store it in a sealed container or it will vaporise inside it. keep it damp. I would sugest you start with a small amount, one or two grams. Also remember the cristal can take as much as 12 hours to appear.