View Full Version : Angle for longest trajectory. - Archive File

megalomania
June 26th, 2003, 03:17 PM
ST
Frequent Poster
posted February 07, 2001 06:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At what angle will you get the furthest trajectory?
I have 38 degrees imprinted in my head, which goes slightly further than 45, can someone confirm this?

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted February 07, 2001 08:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am preety sure it is 45 degrees for a non rocket propelled missile, like a bullet, or spud from a spud gun
[This message has been edited by endotherm (edited February 07, 2001).]

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted February 07, 2001 10:03 PM
yes, if you want to shoot something as far as it will shoot, angel it at 45 degrees.
------------------
...Æ

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted February 08, 2001 01:50 AM
Wrong. Wind resistance affects trajectory more than gravity. Optimal angle is 22.5 degrees.

------------------
BaDSeeD
Knowledge is the true power, ignorrance will bring your demise.

ST
Frequent Poster
posted February 08, 2001 03:00 AM
Badseed, not that it was relevant to the question, how can you say wind resistance effects trajectory more than gravity!..
Without gravity the bullet wouldnt even come down, itll effect variance but that wasnt the question.

how did you arrive at 22.5 degrees? too shallow for me to believe.

I think there was very little difference from 38-45 but 'theoretically' 38 degrees was optimal.

Wasnt there some mortarmen in here?

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted February 08, 2001 05:25 AM
Yes I used to calculate trajectories for mortars, and the truth is that air resistance does make a difference because it brakes the projectile. The optimal angle for earth-standard atmosphere is 43.5 degrees. In vacuum it would be 45.
PS. Note that air resistance will have a greater effect on small projectiles because of their relatively larger surface which gives a relatively greater drag. The 43.5 degrees are optimal for 81mm grenades which weigh 3.3 Kg, but it may not be optimal for very light projectiles.

[This message has been edited by Microtek (edited February 08, 2001).]

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 08, 2001 05:28 AM
As far as I know .22 LR achieve it's longest
range at 25~30 degrees. (Cartridges of the World, 8th edition page 380) And that's not
45 degrees nor 38 degrees.
Projectiles lose velocity as they go, that's why ballistic coefficient(in turns affect resistance given to the bullet.) of the projectile is very important when you want to find maximum range.

Common bullets with "excellent" ballistic coefficient have bc of around only 0.500, out of perfect 1.000.

There are some dream bullets made with alloys
, long and slender, having astounding bc of 0.910. now that's something that will fly far
at 45 degrees...

Maximum range...you are talking about the maximum x-axis projection of parabolas that are distorted by loss of velocity which is distorted by the factor of current velocity.
Not very simple when you do things in earth atmosphere eh? Guess that's why people want to become astronaunts.

Ropik
May 3rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
I have 42° in my head as "optimal angle for longest range" but I didn't know why.

Bert
May 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM
I have 42° in my head as "optimal angle for longest range" but I didn't know why.

I don't know either- In atmosphere, the longest range is dependant on a number of factors related to the geometry of the projectile. For a .22 long rifle 40 grain solid, maximum range is at about 22° for instance.

aikon
May 3rd, 2004, 10:45 AM
The following data comes from the german book: MARTINI, K.H. 2000; Das Waffen-Sachkundebuch-12.Auflage. Journal Verlag Schwend GmbH

Maximum range:

Shotgun ammo and .22: angel between 25° and 35°
Handgun ammo: 25°-35°
Rifle ammo: 30°-35°

Ropik
May 3rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Hehehe... this optimal angle(as i found few minutes ago) is for vacuum and for round projectile. In similar place cannot shoot any common gunner :) .

tmp
May 3rd, 2004, 01:05 PM
Optimum angle in a vacuum would be 45 degrees. On earth, there are a lot of
factors to consider such as projectile weight, shape and ballistic coefficient.
I read about optimum angles for guns in Guns & Ammo awhile back. It seems
that 35 degrees is optimum for the .30-06 using a 200 grain bullet. The Paris
gun that the Germans used during WWI had an optimum angle of 54 degrees
because this put the projectile into thinner air sooner and decreased the
aerodynamic drag on the round thus enabling it to travel more distance.