View Full Version : ballistic gelatin - Archive File

megalomania
June 26th, 2003, 03:19 PM
god
A new voice
posted February 27, 2001 05:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you make ballistic (sp) gelatin and with what

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted February 27, 2001 05:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's ballistic gelatin?

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 27, 2001 08:12 PM
NG+NC
(A mistake)

[This message has been edited by HMTD Factory (edited February 28, 2001).]

god
A new voice
posted February 27, 2001 08:23 PM
ballistic gelatin is what they use for Initiating what a gun would do to you if you where hit. hmtd factory NG+NC?

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 27, 2001 08:32 PM
SORRY...can't correct the post fast enough.
You caught me.
I thought you said "ballistite" that is NG+NC

I asked the same question long ago in a shooting forum, nobody seems to know it.
From somewhere I got the impression that it is a lump of polymer different than household gelatin(weed extract)

A good substitute for ballistic gelatin is soft clay. But the wound tends to explode more than gelatin test. It is also not transparent.

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted February 27, 2001 08:33 PM
I thought Ballistic gelitin was what they shot guns at to simulate a human target, its not an improvised weapon.

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted February 28, 2001 01:04 AM
Plain jello will yield results that are close. If I remember correctly it's gellatin with only 75% of the original water content as the gelatin we eat.

nbk2000
posted February 28, 2001 05:17 AM
Here's an article on making 10% ballastic gelatin.
http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/volume3/number2/article1.htm

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted March 05, 2001 11:55 AM
Just an idea that might be fun/educational: make a transparent ballistic gelatin, have a high-speed video camera to film it, and put polarising filters in front of and behind the gellatin, with a strong light source. All the stresses etc. will show up as coloured areas, and would be good to help understand how things are affected by bullets/explosives.

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted March 05, 2001 08:52 PM
Sounds like a nice idea.
How does it work? The light pass through
a layer of polarizer, then jello, then another polarizer(parallel to the first one)?

If it works then I think poking the jello
alone will be fun.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted March 06, 2001 02:54 PM
Yes, if I remember correctly the polarisers should be polarising in the same plane, e.g. both let vertically polarised light through, with the jello between them, and the light shining through everything into the camera.
I'm not absolutely sure if it'll work with jello, but I think it should.
Hold on, I'm a Brit! Why the fuck am I saying jello?! JELLY! That's better.