View Full Version : .50 caliber shells? - Archive File

megalomania
June 26th, 2003, 03:21 PM
phyrelord
Frequent Poster
posted March 05, 2001 02:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
does anyone know the dimensions of a .50 caliber round, casing and all. Also does anyone know anything about what grade steel the breech and receiver has to be made of. I have some connections at a machine shop all i have to do is buy the steel for the receiver. cool huh? I also have to buy a barrel anyone know where i could pick one up?all help is appreciated, thanx

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted March 05, 2001 09:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4140 Steel.
"Pick up" a barrel? Well be preapred to lose money because it will normally cost you 1000$
to 2000$

You can find .50 BMG barrels on Shotgun News
or at www.maadigriffin.com (I think Maadi Griffin has lost all their .50 kits in a raid
,the owner of the company was arrested too.)

Are you going to make brass by turning brass stock? Not the best idea because you can order .50 shell from reloading suppliers.

Most cartridge book and reloading manual only
supply major dimentions of a cartridge for length check and bulge check so Those won't help you make a case even if you have them.

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted March 06, 2001 12:41 PM
No he wasn't going to make the brass. He wanted to know the dimentions of the shells. I wish i still had some empties around...
Incidentally, you don't have to use 4140 for the reciever. I've seen people make them out of 416 stainless, chrome molly, and vicon 44. Out of those choices though... 4140 is probably the cheapest. But its a pain in the ass to machine. Its real easy to work harden it while your making it. If you have a machinist make the reciever for you, make sure he runs full coolant on it while machining it, check it for any irregularities (warpage), and heat cracks. Also radius the internal corners to keep some strength in them. The last thing you want is for it to fail. It'd be like a hand grenade going off in front of your face.

Where did you get the blueprints for the reciever? And what model/make is it for?

I have blueprints for a Barret M95, I made prints for everything EXCEPT the barrel. Seeing as i had no means of making the barrel, but everything else i could.

------------------
BaDSeeD
Knowledge is the true power, ignorrance will bring your demise.

phyrelord
Frequent Poster
posted March 06, 2001 03:00 PM
I made up the idea for the receiver and stuff and asked a friend (gunsmith) if it looked okay but he had never dealt with such a huge gun so I don't know. The only thing i need to know about the shell is the diameter of the casing, so i know how big to make my bolt. Would you be able to post those plans by any chance? They might be useful. thanx

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted March 06, 2001 04:26 PM
If you want to know the dimentions of any (well, most) bullets used today including the .50 BMG then the place to go is :
http://www.calweb.com/~haas/ammoguide/

It'll tell you nearly all you need to know if you can get it working...there's even a downloadable version too !

phyrelord
Frequent Poster
posted March 06, 2001 04:43 PM
thanks man that site rocks, just what i needed

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted March 07, 2001 05:23 PM
All the blueprints are hand drawn. And I don't have a scanner. It would take me quite a while to redraw them with autocad.
Especially since I havn't figured autocad out yet.